Questions about Coach to 5K

Options
I'm looking into starting a coach to 5k schedule because I'd like to, eventually, walk/run/jog/whatever a MS marathon for my mother who has had MS for 25+ years and is completely bed bound. I'd also like to get my stamina for running back (I used to play basketball and volleyball).

However, every "coach to 5k" program that I am finding online is asking me to pay for it. I think that is ridiculous to pay 20 for a schedule of what to do on what day. Does anyone know where I can find something for free? Or give me some pointers on what to start off doing? Help, please? Thanks so much.

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• plussized
    plussized Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm looking into starting a coach to 5k schedule because I'd like to, eventually, walk/run/jog/whatever a MS marathon for my mother who has had MS for 25+ years and is completely bed bound. I'd also like to get my stamina for running back (I used to play basketball and volleyball).

However, every "coach to 5k" program that I am finding online is asking me to pay for it. I think that is ridiculous to pay 20 for a schedule of what to do on what day. Does anyone know where I can find something for free? Or give me some pointers on what to start off doing? Help, please? Thanks so much.

:flowerforyou:
  • kingkr
    kingkr Posts: 2
    Options
    I think there is a good podcast you can download if you have iTunes from Podrunner called "First day to 5K" that takes you through running workouts with music and coaching. I haven't used it though so no promises about the quality.
  • Lauraie
    Lauraie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There is a site called cool running that has a free couch to 5K plan
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
    Enjoy
  • lgolden
    lgolden Posts: 164
    Options
    This is an awesome FREE podcast. Nine weeks to running a 5k.

www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/page4/page4.html
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    here is a program

Phase I Walk/Run Month 1 Mostly Walking (Times in minutes per day)

Week M T W TH F S S TOTAL
    1 Off 25/0 Off 30/0 Off Off 30/0 85/0
    2 Off 27/3 Off 27/3 Off Off 27/3 81/9
    3 Off 24/6 Off 24/6 Off Off 24/6 72/18
    4 Off 27/3 Off 24/6 Off Off 24/6 75/15
    Grand total: 313/42

Phase - II Walk/Run Month 2 Mostly Walking (Times in minutes per day)
    1 Off 21/9 Off 21/9 Off Off 21/9 63/27
    2 Off 18/12 Off 18/12 Off Off 18/12 54/36
    3 Off 15/15 Off 15/15 Off Off 15/15 45/45
    4 Off 18/12 Off 15/15 Off Off 15/15 48/42
    Grand Total: 210/150

Phase - III Walk/Run Month 3 Mostly Running (Times in minutes per day)
    1 Off 12/18 Off 12/18 Off Off 12/18 36/54
    2 Off 9/21 Off 9/21 Off Off 9/21 27/63
    3 Off 6/24 Off 6/24 Off Off 6/24 18/72
    4 Off 9/21 Off 6/24 Off Off 6/24 21/69
    Grand Total: 102/258
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I like this because you walk run to the beat.

http://www.djsteveboy.com/intervals.html
  • strangesangria
    strangesangria Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You can download podcast here for free

http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/page4/page4.html

I love this program!! I started it this year late Jan and I am on week 7 (yes i had to repeat some weeks) I just ran 25 min w/o stopping tonight and I am so excited. :smile:

When I started I could barely breath @ like 90 seconds of running. It is so much easier now. I hope you have fun with this program :smile:
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/run-walk-program

Here is a link I posted earlier in a dif. thread. It isn't couch to 5K necessarily, but it is a great beginning program. And there is another level after you finish that is just running and increasing endurance. I like it so far. There are other plans that are free - try googling "beginning running" instead of couch to 5K. You might get some other alternatives. Have fun running!

Oh, you can print out the program and the exercises for the toning days - and you can watch a demo video of the exercise if you need to. I don't have a bosu ball or a step so I modified some moves, but they can still be done and are great! :drinker:
  • jamielbeck
    jamielbeck Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    My maternal grandmother has MS and I think that is a great goal to start running again :smile:
    I am on week 2 of the couch to 5K program. I started because paternal grandmother passed away from cancer and every year I've been walking in the Race for a Cure in her memory, this year I decided to run so here I am.
    On the cool runnings site if you click on the trainer thats where it asks you to pay. I believe the trainer they offer is a log type thing. If you are the link posted earlier on here scroll down and it will give you the details of the program, that is all you need.
    There is a great thread on here,all of us are at different places on the couch 2 5K.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/48769-couch-to-5k-group-starting-monday-april-13th
    In addition to the podcast mentioned earlier there are also a couple hip-hop podcasts. I can post the links if you need them.
    Good luck! :flowerforyou: