eye opener

Options
I have been noticing how men and women treat me now that I have lost a bunch of weight. People now look me in the eye. People now actually talk to me more. It use to be as if I was not even in the room. now men open the door for me, and say hello. I have noticed that people at work that never use to even notice me, now talk to me. I know some people might think that maybe it is me that has changed, and that perhaps I am more social, but I know that it is not just me. I think it is sad that people can't see past what is on the outside to see the wonderful people that they miss out on, because they don't look deeper. just sayin.....

Replies

• Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    That always made me angry. Even my family treated me different when I was smaller than when I was 200 pounds. I was the same person!!!
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    Do you think that at least part of that is the fact you now exude more self confidence? I know most people don't care if you are overweight when just talking to you or interacting. Only if there is some sort of attraction going on.

I also know that people will treat others differently depending on how that person view themselves.

Low self esteem equals getting treated in like manner.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you! My family is more attentive to me now that I am losing weight.
    The other day my mom...trying to be nice said..."I'm so proud that you are losing weight, I just know I couldn't raise your daughter if something happened to you" Seriously mom? You thought I was on my deathbed? I am fat, but I have ALWAYS been healthy! Good blood pressure, no blood sugar issues.
    Then my aunt....again trying to be nice says "This is such an answered prayer of mine" Really nice I know, but wow. Anyways.

Oh well. People are shallow. What can I say.
  • tlapdx72
    tlapdx72 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    No I am confident in the fact that people do treat overweight people different. I was a very social person when I was bigger. I would even try to talk to some of these people, but they looked at me as if I was nothing. Now they want to talk to me. I can tell the difference. I also remeber before I gained weight how people around me would talk about fat people. It use to bother me even back when I was skinny, because my mother was overweight. I don't even have to guess what people think. Many times people have made fat comments in front of me. I have heard all kinds of fat jokes. It didn't even seem to penetrate their brain that those comments might offend me. If you are seriously trying to say that people look past the fat....I'm sure some people do that, but a lot of people do not.
  • aliciar3
    Options
    I think often it is that you do exude more confidence and people definitely respond to that but there are plenty of shallow people out there. I definitely get a lot more doors opened for me these days!
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Its a 2 way street really. Yes some people are shallow (more attention to fitter, leaner, more attractive people). But the converse is also true: the leaner/fitter I get the more confident and social I get too. Not only that but let's be honest, the fitter you are, the more energy (all other things being equal) and the less lazy and more disciplined others perceive you now are (and isn't there a grain of truth in that?)