will swimming aid my weight loss?

Im 175 cms tall and weigh 80 kilos, I've been swimming for about 3 weeks now and do 30 laps 6 times a week. Takes me about 45 mins to an hour. So far I've managed to maintain the weight that im at but I want to loose another 10 kilos, any tips will be very appreciated :)

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    As people have said on your other post you need to eat more!
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    yes it will. Swim more, get faster!
  • fungry_04
    fungry_04 Posts: 42 Member
    Thanks, im trying to get as many ideas as I can to get out of this rut im stuck in :(
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    swimming is awesome for burning calories and uses pretty much every muscle in your body. One thing I will say though is you are having a very relaxed swim if you are taking 45 - 60 minutes to do 30 lengths.

Try increasing your intensity and aim to get your time for the 30 laps down to 30 minutes.

*advice based on my own swimming experience, 60 lengths in 60 minutes at 112 KG and 185cm*
  • dippystick
    dippystick Posts: 168 Member
    Im 175 cms tall and weigh 80 kilos, I've been swimming for about 3 weeks now and do 30 laps 6 times a week. Takes me about 45 mins to an hour. So far I've managed to maintain the weight that im at but I want to loose another 10 kilos, any tips will be very appreciated :)

How long is your pool?
  • fungry_04
    Thanks rich, I suffer from asthma a fair bit, I dont use it as an excuse but I definately have to pause for about.30 seconds between laps! It all adds up I guess
  • fungry_04
    50 metres
  • jamhamster
    jamhamster Posts: 98 Member
    I also swim, but just once a week for the 1st 4 weeks I maintained my weight but now I'm loosing every week :) someone said to me it can take your body up to 6 weeks to get used to a new routine, so it might just be your body adjusting :)
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    sorry disregard that then, i assumed a 25 meter pool
  • fungry_04
    I also swim, but just once a week for the 1st 4 weeks I maintained my weight but now I'm loosing every week :) someone said to me it can take your body up to 6 weeks to get used to a new routine, so it might just be your body adjusting :)

That is exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks!!
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    I try and swim when I can, in our local pool 32 lengths is half a mile. So thats what I aim for. I do it in about 40 mins but aiming for 30 mins.

Think its a good all rounder x
  • fungry_04
    sorry disregard that then, i assumed a 25 meter pool

Thanks for the advice anyway :)
  • jamhamster
    jamhamster Posts: 98 Member

That is exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks!!

Glad I could be of help :)
  • Cut it down to four times a week. I know it sounds silly but I was going 6-7 times a week and not loosing but then was advised to cut it down to 3-4 times a week and weight started to come off again. I have now reached a plateaux which is driving me mad.
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Here is a link to an article that has three study citations at the end which you can explore.

I swim to lose weight, but there have been studies that show that swimmers MAY overeat as a result of their workouts, thereby negating the weight loss effects.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/130727-weight-loss-swimming-workouts/