5K runs and how to improve stamina and time

Options
So....went for another run this morning. I found it really hard. Strangely, whilst I was finding it tough, when I checked my heart rate it was much lower than it had been on previous runs, so I should have found the run easier, right? Do I just need to keep doing the same run until I get more used to it? I completed the 5K but very slowly. Any advice gratefully received.

Replies

• sgha
    sgha Posts: 225
    Options
    Some days are like that. but are you taking rest days? They are important.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    hills and speed intervals also help. mixing it up and challenge yourself.
  • avsgal1921
    Options
    Taking a rest day is good advice. Our bodies are thankful when we do-they need time to recharge. Also did you eat anything before your run? If you don't have anything at all it's common to bonk-quickly lose steam or feel like the workout is a struggle. Everyone is different. I know for me I have to have something about 45 min. before working out.
  • world2c
    world2c Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I like doing a different run every time I run, otherwise I get bored.... I have about 8 different routes that I can take, so it's always varied for me. That said, some days are easier than others.... Sometimes when I eat too much, or not the right food, it really throws a wrench in my workout. However, keeping at it overall makes it easier. I got back into it this past May with my first 5K, and I have to say I was pretty winded. However, I ran 5 days a week since then, and have slowly improved my time (9:10/mile) and distance (I'm now running half marathons with very little effort, just mental breakdowns, that I defeat). Keep one foot in front of the other, and soon you will find you are excited to get up and run, and your day will feel empty if you do not.

Also, do you keep track of your miles/times? I like to see how I'm progressing, or if I had a bad couple of days the cause of it. I do mine old school style with a stop watch and dailymile.com. I like seeing what I've done over time, and the fact that I've burned 350 donuts according to their site, makes me feel awesome.

I have also heard runkeeper (ap) is good for physical activities. It will report in to you every five minutes to tell you your pace and how many miles you've gone....
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input guys, it's much appreciated. I am taking rest days. I didn't runyesterday but I am very new to running this distance and as has been said maybe I need to just give it more time. I also might try running for longer but intervals.
  • Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I find the first 2-4 miles are worst for me, as my body is warming up........... Strange as it may sound, but always for the first few miles my body just blocks off... Just me, xx I admire how much effort you put into this, I honestly need to do the same, I just dont push myself into running, yeah I workout, train hard, but just dont run at all... Yet I should for my next half... xx YOU truly are an inspiration xxxxxx