I need a straight answer from people wit experience!!!!

Options
:explode:

Okay... I am 5'6 and weigh 316 I have lost 16lbs in 65 days.... I have 132lbs to go down min. MFP first had me eating like 2290 cals and a few people said that was way to much... But I didnt want to shock my body I was used to cosuming prolly 6500 cals daily... So i dropped them to 1980 and now had them to 1790... I was looking at my settings and placed it on 1.5lb loss a week and that I am aiming for four 60 mins workouts a week and it gives me a daily goal of 2010... Can I eat this amount and loose weight is what I want to know... Thanks My diary is open.

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • faiga
    faiga Posts: 47
    Options
    usually that should be ok but one thing you need to know when you work out and you put your time in your calorie count for the day will go up try not to use those extra calories
  • YMTaylor
    YMTaylor Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    You will lose weight as long as the 2010 calories/day creates a deficit when compared to your BMR (the number of calories your body needs just to live). It is an estimate but what did MFP say your BMR is? As long as the 2010 is under that then you should see progress, maybe not in a day or two but over a few weeks. I hope that helps.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Yes. You can choose to eat your workout calories or not. I don't, but others do and we all still lose just fine.
  • JulieBoBoo
    Options
    I started at 330. I followed the calorie recommendations for MFP and I also ate back my exercise calories. I lost 100lbs in a year. Good luck!

One thing I would recommend is that after every 10 lbs loss go in and manually reset your goals. Sometimes MFP doesn't compensate automatically.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    YEP! you seem to eat well, last thing you want to do is listen to people who eat 2 calories everyday and then burn it all off. there are many ways to lose weight, but YES don't be afraid to eat, seems like you got it under control, great job so far.
  • afigueroa_pr
    Options
    According to what my nutritionist said: you should put your caloric deficit at -500 from what your basal metabolic rate is. Your BMR will begin to decrease when you lose weight, therefore decrease your caloric intake to keep it at -500 every day till your calorie intake doesn't go under 1200 per day.

I hope this helps!
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Click on My Home, then Goals. It'll give you an overview, including "Calories Burned From Normal Daily Activity", which is obviously just an estimation based on your "Activity Level" that you set (Sedentary, Lightly Active, etc). It'll show you your estimated deficit and such.

You can get your estimated BMR by going to Tools. Everything is going to vary person to person based on height, weight, activity level - even how far you have to walk to go to the bathroom will add up over time - so it's really hard to know. You just need to make sure you are eating enough. As strange as it sounds, and I'm sure you've heard this around, you sometimes have to eat more to lose more.
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    Basic answer is that sticking to your calories goal or below will result in weight loss, provided MFP tells you it will. That takes into account your total honesty about whatever crosses your lips.

16lbs in basically two months is a healthy rate of weight loss...two pounds a week. Can you lose faster than that? Absolutely. Should you? That's a different question entirely. There's a *huge* overwhelming sentiment in the public audience that somebody of your size should be able to drop 2-3 times that amount. It's probably driven in part by shows like The Biggest Loser. I have multiple friends who are very heavy who are disappointed at two pounds a week, and wonder what they are doing wrong. The answer, of course, is nothing! Yet they don't feel successful, because their know it all friends (who are also fat and doing nothing about it) tell them they should be losing faster.

The trouble is that Biggest Loser scenario just isn't real, not for a person doing real life things, not for a person without constant medical supervision and high amounts of exercise. Do the things MFP says will work, and tweak them if you need to along the way. Get some kind of daily exercise (just a brisk walk for you will be enough) in addition to your diet work. Do the basics, do them well, and you will lose weight.
  • MrsPeavley
    MrsPeavley Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 2290 I usually do 2 60 minute strength cardio workouts and 3 just cardio workouts a week! I am still learning!
  • aamon17
    aamon17 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I started at 347 in March & MFP had me @ 2120 to lose 2 lbs a week. With my cardio (walking, Wii Fit, & Xbox Kinect) I'm down to 310. Right now, with a Sedentary lifestyle set, MFP has me @ 1990 cals to lose 2lbs/week. I'm at the dreaded plateau. But, my body is definitely changing, clothes all falling off!!!

Granted, I'm taller than you @ 6'2". But, the mass is the same. You will probably continue to lose at a good rate for teh first 40-50 pounds, then may have to switch up your routine to shock the body into the next phase!

Wishing you nothing but success!!!
  • jedi9393
    jedi9393 Posts: 121
    Options
    Your food diary is alright, but I would probably try to cut the sugar out a bit more and less processed food. Cereal is one of the worst things in the world IMO. Full of sugar and empty carbs. Try Braums carb watch bread too. I dunno if you have a braums in your area. Other than that. Work out at least 5 days a week, but thats just my opinion as well. good luck to you!!!
  • Donners185
    Donners185 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Just try it and see. The best bit about logging everything you do is being able to experiment with diet and exercise to see what works best for your body and if it isnt working, look at your diary and exercise and change it again until you finds what works for you. Everyone is different and what works for you now won't necessarily work for you in 2-3 months time, as you lose weight the mechanics of your body will continue to change. You'll always have to go back to the drawing board at some point (plateau) and re-adjust your routine. Good luck. And remember always a lesson never a failure. xo.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 2290 I usually do 2 60 minute strength cardio workouts and 3 just cardio workouts a week! I am still learning!

Then you should be fine! The BMR is as if you're just laying in bed not doing anything. Between your workouts and just everyday life, you should be at a decent enough deficit to lose! Keep up your good work and you should see results :smile:
  • AshleyPic
    AshleyPic Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yes you can eat that much - I went to a nutritionist and she actually gave me MORE calories than MFP did. Good Luck!!!
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    The system works... That is why so many people follow it. As long as you are making healthy choices, following your calories, and eating back your exercise calories you will loose weight. It may take longer than some crash diet but you will keep this weight off as opposed to putting it right back on.

Good Luck!

p.s. It is with not wit.
  • raulerson
    Options
    You can but you'll lose more, quicker if you eat 1800 or so calories. That's a good healthy amount. I'm 165 and I'm supposed to eat 1800 a day.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    According to what my nutritionist said: you should put your caloric deficit at -500 from what your basal metabolic rate is. Your BMR will begin to decrease when you lose weight, therefore decrease your caloric intake to keep it at -500 every day till your calorie intake doesn't go under 1200 per day.

I hope this helps!

I would suggest getting a new nutritionist, if that is the advice they gave you. You should set your deficit to your TDEE not your BMR
  • aamon17
    aamon17 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    There's a *huge* overwhelming sentiment that somebody of your size should be able to drop 2-3 times that amount. It's probably driven in part by shows like The Biggest Loser. And that scenario just isn't real, not for a person doing real life things, not for a person without constant medical supervision.

GREAT point! I'm living witness that it's no real at all!
  • mrandolph69
    mrandolph69 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Yes. You can choose to eat your workout calories or not. I don't, but others do and we all still lose just fine.

One word of warning about this: if you let MFP estimate your calorie burn during a workout then you will probably be overestimating the number of calories you burned and if you eat them back then you will think you have more to eat than you really did. I have seen a lot of posts on MFP where people said MFP overestimated their calories burned (and some said it underestimated but they seemed to be a small minority.) So, if you are going to eat your exercise calories back then I would suggest you get a heart rate monitor. I got a Polar FT7 and love it. It says my calorie burn for my exercise bike rides are routinely way less than MFP (by a factor of up to 2.5 or so.) For example, I rode this morning for 35 minutes at 21 mph and got a calorie burn from my Polar of 555 but MFP estimated it at almost 1400!