Running Daily

Options
I've been running using the Couch to 5K program. I'm on my 6th week and feeling great about it. My question is....Would it be ok to run every day but just using the program every other day? Or would that just hurt me in the long run. I'm doing a 5k in December and I want to be ready for it and I also use running as my primary for losing weight.

Replies

• missjazzj
    Options
    Don't do it, your body needs time to rebuild irself! If you really want to do something else, try swimming or cross training or cycling, which will up your cardio without the impact on your joints. Beware of trying to run too fast too soon, no matter how well you think you're doing you'll head for a fall (I know from experience!) Good luck with the 5k :)
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I agree, the rest periods are as important as the training itself
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    like missjazzj said, it's best you take rest days, and you could do something low impact in between. I was running 5 times a week and I think that was a good number.
    Good luck on the 5K =]
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Don't run every day unless you build up to it. Shin splints and over overuse injuries are major setbacks. And runners are the most prone to develop overuse injuries.
  • missjazzj
    Options
    I've been there with the shin splints, and when I got cocky and ran everyday I managed to tear my calf muscle...ouch!!! Put me out of action for months and I'm onlu just building up again now
  • stix_n_stones
    Options
    But when people run for marathons don't they run every day except one? I am building up my running too and have been able to now run 4 days in a row without injury. However, I'm afraid of risking injury. Anyone more experienced have advice?
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    The general advice to avoid injury is to only increase your weekly mileage by 10%. Rest days are important for runners. Marathoners or otherwise.

My half marathon plan has me running at the most 5 days per week.
  • missjazzj
    Options
    People starting marathon training generally have a solid base of running behind them, and even then they have rest days, or use other activities for balance. You have to build up gradually to avoid injury - I missed my last marathon because of the muscle tear. Go easy, build up gradually and avoid that temptation to do too much too soon. Honestly, it'll pay you dividends in the long run!
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I agree...take a rest day or 2...I usually run about 5 days a week...on the rest days, I will take a spinning class or kickboxing, etc...mixing up your workouts will make you stronger...I also weight train, too...

I usually have one day of week for complete rest, to let my body heal...
  • stix_n_stones
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, I am truly a beginner runner but it is a big thing for me because I used to HATE running. I could bike for hours but running was boring. However, now I'm really getting into it and last week I ran 10 miles total so that was pretty cool. I know for a lot of the people on here that could be done in 1 or 2 days, so maybe since I run so little it is alright to do it often?
  • missjazzj
    Options
    You remind me so much of me when I first started!! Ppppllllleeeeaaaassseeeee don't do it!! Be proud of what you've achieved, those first steps are so hard, then you cross a point where you begin to enjoy it and look forward to it, but your muscles need time to accustom themselves to the battering you're giving them. Take your rest days (do something non impact if you want) and add no more than ten per cent a week. I know how you feel, but be sensible or you'll be injured and have to stop completely (and yes, I thought that wouldn't happen to me too.............)
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    When I did C25K I did the work outs every other day with 2 days off between weeks. I've been running for 2 years and still don't run on back to back days...and if I do it's morning one day and evening the next. Even when I was training for a half marathon.

Like another poster said. If you're feeling cocky, take it to the bike or pool.

Don't beleive in rest? Read this.

http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/0123-common-sports-injuries.htm
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I can't run every day. My calf muscles and shins just kill me. I don't do this as much as I should, but doing yoga on off days really helps when I remember to do it. It stretches everything out and keeps it in balance... helps me go back faster / stronger.
  • stix_n_stones
    Options
    Haha, again thank you. Yes I was getting a littly cocky there but I do love the rest days because I get back to it feeling stronger than before! I will be good (rested all weekend)
  • CaptainSwab
    Options
    I am a marathon runner and don't run every day. You need a solid base before you even think about doing something like that. Cross training is important too and will make you a more balanced athlete. Glad you have found the running love. :-)
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    But when people run for marathons don't they run every day except one? I am building up my running too and have been able to now run 4 days in a row without injury. However, I'm afraid of risking injury. Anyone more experienced have advice?
    No, I run 4 days when I am preparing for a marathon. I use the ellptical 2 days and some on my running days. You have to rest.
  • stix_n_stones
    Options
    I am a marathon runner and don't run every day. You need a solid base before you even think about doing something like that. Cross training is important too and will make you a more balanced athlete. Glad you have found the running love. :-)

"the running love" hehe, yes yes! I do cross train, I'm a biker at heart and do yoga when I can
  • Pisc2749
    Pisc2749 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I feel like it's a matter of quality vs. quantity. I'm fairly new to running, and developed a real love for it. I figured I would lose weight faster if I tried to run at least 6 days a week - all that did was make my running less effective. Something always hurt and my distance/speed started decreasing instead of increasing. I was losing progress.

So now I'm giving myself a few days off each week from running and I can already tell the difference. I have better, longer runs because I'm not in pain. And it's not affecting weight loss, in fact, I think wearing yourself out actually hampers weight loss more than taking breaks.

Just my 2 cents.