Under/Over 1200 Calories

Options
Confused: So I see a lot on the forums people saying NOT to eat under 1200 (obv for height in varies), that when people start eating a couple hundred more they start losing, etc. I get that.

Then I see the responses from people saying they eat 1200 or less and when they ate 1500 they were GAINING. Now, this is where I'm confused. I understand 1200 is not some magical number that works for everyone, but since the 1200 is basically based off a 1000 calorie deficit anyway, how could people GAIN when at basically a 500-700 calorie deficit (when eating 1500)...

Wouldn't this just be LESS of a deficit so just slow the loss? Unless people have seriously low BMRs....

I'm just trying to know what people experience so that when/if I experience something similar I can make adjustments, but I just am unclear how to interpret this within my framework of how this works...there should be a huge buffer here when you set it at 2lb per week that should prevent people from gaining...right?

Replies

• HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    When people have consistently restricted themselves to a low amount of calories (or any amount really) and then you suddenly up them, some people can retain water from the extra. It may be best in that situation to gradually increase them.
    You are not going to gain from eating 1500 calories unless you're like 5 ft, really really light and doing no exercise.
    If they truly are gaining fat, they are likely underestimating calories / overestimating exercise burn.
  • heidimelone
    heidimelone Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Well I happen to be someone who gains at 1500 calories per day. My calculated BMR is around 1480. I am 5'7" and currently weight 145....so 1500 calories exceeds my BMR. It depends on your chemistry. Even if I didn't know my BMR, I would still be able to tell at what caloric number the weight loss slows. I stay anywhere from 1100-1200 calories per day. My weight loss averages maybe a pound a week....not extreme....it's all about what works for you. And there are many factors involved...do you strength train....how much protein do you take in....are you normally active during the day....etc. It's hard to use other people as a gauge. Find what works for your body.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I would love to eat 1200 calories a day and I was. I was NOT losing weight. I went to my thyroid doctor several times as I have Graves disease. I explained the situation to the doctor. His response was "EAT Less", so before you all judge me, keep in mind that I am following my doctors orders, which by the way has worked.
  • Cinnamonie
    Options
    Wow, didn't know BMR could be that low, Heidi! =/

And I'm not judging anyone ltamatgo, just trying to make what sense I can of the collective knowledge of the forums!
  • stix_n_stones
    Options
    I'm someone who has to really push to eat over 1000-1200 calories but when I do I barely ever experience weight gain. I'm 5'8 and 135. When I up my calories for a few days then go back down to 1000 there seems to be a bigger weight loss. Could be all in my head though, haha
  • kamk16
    kamk16 Posts: 205
    Options
    For me personally I got crabby and was hungry all the time when my calories were at 1200 and I didn't change in my weight for a week at one time before that I went down in weight every week (amount varied). When it recalculated to 1200 I was ok for a week or two but then could tell I wasn't getting enough so I upped it a couple hundred calories and started loosing again and was a whole lot happier I could eat more. I really believe you have to go with what your body tells you. I started mfp in Jan of 2011 and have reached my goal weight and have been maintaining for about 2 months. I have to say is that is one thing I learned over the last 9 months is if I am hungry I eat. I now listen to my body and try not to over eat because it is so good too. I am 5 foot 2 and 1200 calories only worked for me about 2 weeks at most.
  • heidimelone
    heidimelone Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sorry....I stand corrected. My BMR is actually LOWER......1346.....so no way I could eat 1500 calories and anyone can tell me I will still lose weight......and I exercise 4 times a week to keep the weight coming off....
  • seeled
    seeled Posts: 93
    Options
    Wow, didn't know BMR could be that low, Heidi! =/

And I'm not judging anyone ltamatgo, just trying to make what sense I can of the collective knowledge of the forums!

I went to a dietician. She put me on a machine that checked my BMR. It was less than 1100! She found that hard to believe as well and suggested I go see my doctor to have my thyroid checked. I have yet to do it. MFP says my BMR is 1 700. HUGE difference!!!!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why you think 1200 calories creates a 1000 calorie deficit for everyone... I am 4'11. My BMR is 1288. If I ate 1500 calories per day, I wouldn't lose any weight. I eat around 1100-1300 calories a day and exercise daily and I've been steadily losing about .5 pounds per week.
  • Cinnamonie
    Options
    I'm not sure why you think 1200 calories creates a 1000 calorie deficit for everyone... I am 4'11. My BMR is 1288. If I ate 1500 calories per day, I wouldn't lose any weight. I eat around 1100-1300 calories a day and exercise daily and I've been steadily losing about .5 pounds per week.

I guess I meant average, obviously not for everyone...I get not losing, it was GAINING weight on just a couple hundred calories more that was throwing me off...

Also how long is a good time for people to give something before they decide it's not working for them? A couple of weeks, a month, a couple of months with no loss or with gains?
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    i tried 1200 calories a day and lost weight for the first 2 weeks and then was at a standstill. also, i was hungry all the time. i am currently set at 1560 calories a day and weight loss has been consistent
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options

I guess I meant average, obviously not for everyone...I get not losing, it was GAINING weight on just a couple hundred calories more that was throwing me off...

Also how long is a good time for people to give something before they decide it's not working for them? A couple of weeks, a month, a couple of months with no loss or with gains?

I usually give myself a couple of weeks to see how something is working. However, I also base it on how I feel - if I'm hungry, then I'll eat more. And just to clarify, the 1500 calories includes exercise. If I ate 1500 and didn't exercise, then I'd gain weight. But I'm really short...
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    My BMR is extremely low, because of slow thyroid activity. My body maintains at about 1300 calories, WITH exercise every day. I'm 5'2' and 115 lbs. Yeah, I really wish my body would give me some more wiggle room, but unfortunately its not the case.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    People's bodies get used to the 1200 calories. Do then when you jump over your body will go into freak out mode. Another thing, people who are super consistent on their 1200 calories a day & have a slip up [Like they went to McDonalds or had pizza or something] there's a lot of sodium involved; therefore, they're going to gain water weight. So that will make them gain.

I actually find (5'3 145 lbs) I don't lose much at 1200 calories, but if I have 1300-1400 I actually lose more, even though Im supposed to be eating 1200.
  • MrsDundas87
    Options
    I am totally confused with the 1200 calories, somedays I am struggling to use them all. I very rarely eat the extra cals that my exercise gives me. I am having 3 meals and healthy snacks in between but not feeling hungry. Last night I was starving so ate a bit more but usually I have been full after my dinner. It has said all week I a under my calorie goal but thats because my exercise gives me between 2-400 extra cals.