I'm thinking about ignoring the scale for a month ...

Options
Am I nuts or what? Thursday I was down 2 lbs for the week. My weigh-in day is Sunday morning. By the time Sunday rolled around I was the same weight as the previous week. :explode: Something tells me if I don't ignore it for a bit I'm gonna snap.

Thoughts?

Replies

• tkn11
    tkn11 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Ignore it. Focus on your training and nutrition.
  • doornumber03
    doornumber03 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    definitely ignore it.....when you are in that frame of mind, it brings you down more and certainly not worth it. Take your measurements and if you want to see progress go by that!. Good luck.
  • Araldia
    Araldia Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The scale is just one small measure of your progress. If you have other measures, like feeling good, and other NSVs then does the scale matter?

Ignore it, there is no point obsessing, you are on a journey and its the end goal of a healthy life in all ways that matters not the figures :)
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    Absolutely a good idea. I did that a few times along the way and it was a phenomenal help. I haven't been doing that recently - but I will probably do it again some time after the holidays.
  • zontuin
    zontuin Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hang tough... You've probably had a loss, but it's transparent right now due to water retention or other factors. It'll come off on your next weigh-in. Don't give up.
  • missjazzj
    Options
    Forget about scales. I can't be the only one focussing on shifting inches rather than weight?
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I feel ya.

My official weigh-in isn't until tomorrow but I peeked this morning and was not pleased.

It needs to go into hiding for a few weeks.
  • SamanthaT01
    SamanthaT01 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Ignore it! Use something like a pair of jeans or your clothes as markers. The scale is very decieving.
  • acciomuscles
    acciomuscles Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Ignore it. Focus on your training and nutrition.

This!!
  • demetria423
    demetria423 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way!!! This back and forth with the scale is discouraging, I think I may avoid it also until the beginning of December.
  • cornerofgreystreet
    cornerofgreystreet Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about doing the same thing. I figured I would give the scale a rest until the new year and then start again from there. I am going to continue to workout and eat right but not obsess about the number on the scale. Merry Christmas to me!
  • samantha0176
    samantha0176 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    i have been trying to do this for while...i put it away , then I cave and get it out ...it fluctuates so much it is crazy! i would love not to step on it until the new year and find a big loss then...*sigh* good luck with that...hide it where you will not be able to get it out!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Take measurements. At least your chest, waist and hips. If you are doing strength training, then do your calves, quads and biceps. You'll be amazed at what is really happening if you are following the program. The only decision is whether of not to eat your exercise calories.

I have to weigh in 2 times a day for my heart program. So am looking for the week-to-week or the month-to month losses.
  • ashlielinn
    Options
    I barely ever weigh myself. Maybe once a month, if that! But I know I'm losing weight! My clothes are all fitting better and I notice little changes every now and then, plus other people tell me they notice a difference. If I weighed myself right now, I'd probably just feel bad about myself, because no matter how much I've lost, I'll think it's not enough. If you're confident you're doing all the right things and trying your best, I see no need to be a slave to a number!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    yes, I highly recommend putting the scale away. I've put mine away (for the next 20 weeks) and I've never felt better.
    Instead of being discouraged by a number every morning, I go in the bathroom, lift up my shirt & check out my progress in the tummy.
    I always find something I like, and I leave happy. It's a win/win. I'll check my weight at the end of my 20 week program (turbofire) so in about 17 weeks, i'll know what i weight.
  • edenjoy3
    Options
    ugh..sometimes I feel the sameway..lost 0.6...really 0.6 I did three spin classes this week and yeah..was really good with my counts it's so frustrating.
  • sunshinesonata
    sunshinesonata Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about doing the same thing. I figured I would give the scale a rest until the new year and then start again from there. I am going to continue to workout and eat right but not obsess about the number on the scale. Merry Christmas to me!

THIS! I feel like I need to do the same thing! So I will! :D It'll be hard, but I won't weigh myself until the new year!
  • kalexander2005
    kalexander2005 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I put away my scale and picked up a tape measure. Best decision I have made except daily eating and exercise. Go for it!
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I know that staying away from the scale works for some people. For me, it has to be a part of what I monitor, or I go into denial about what is happening. I need that additional feedback. When I ignored it before, I gained a bunch of weight. So I step on it a couple times a week, only record officially on Tuesday. I don't stress too much over minor changes, but have to look at trends in data.
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I was weighing daily, sometimes multiple times in a day and finally took a vacation from it for a bit. Now I weigh once a week (Sunday's) and feel much better about it. I really enjoy NSV's like measurements and how my clothes fit or don't fit. Remember it's the long haul that counts and if you intensify your workout it can lead to inflammation and some water gain as could a big sodium day or a food allergy etc. After a week or so your body balances and gets back to where it should be. Good luck, hide it if you need too, it's worth it. The stress is nuts sometimes. :bigsmile: :noway: :laugh: