Starting to strength train - women

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and I'm sure people have posts on strength training for women. But for someone who can only do 2 push ups (weak arms, I'm kinda skinny) do you have any start up strength training for arms, back, core? Any websites?

Feel free to add me!

Replies

• EMc4452
    EMc4452 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    You can start doing alot...just with lighter weights. The point is to build up to the heavier wights over time. Bodybuilding.com can provide some good muscle building or fat loss exercise programs. Do you have a gym?
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Several people recommend "the new rules of lifting for women" for beginners. I don't know all the details of it as I have my own lifting program so don't use it but it does seem very popular here and I've seen people getting good results from it. There is a group for it here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w
  • TabbyDunn
    Options
    Hi! I've been doing strength training for the last two years and it is an excellent way to lose weight and more importantly tone up. If you're a member of a gym you can look for a knowledgeable staff member to show you the ropes. Or a fit friend. I do most of my strength training at home using circuit training. You can pick up hand weights almost anywhere and they aren't too expensive. Kettlebells are great too but they are a little more pricey. If you don't want to or currently have a lack of funds there is a lot of strength exercises that use only your own body weight too. If you have an Iphone or an Ipod Touch you can get a great free app called Nike Training Club. I use it all the time. It has a lot of workouts for different skill levels and you only need a few pieces of equipment for most. If you like DVDs Jillian Michaels has a lot of great ones: Trouble Zones and Shred It w/ Weights my top two picks. Also if you have netflix instant they have a series called Trainer's Edge. There is a huge variety of different workouts. Oxygen magazine also has a lot of great workouts too as does Muscle & Fitness Hers.

Good Luck! Also make sure you pay attention to form and ask for help when you need it.
    ~Tabby
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Several people recommend "the new rules of lifting for women" for beginners. I don't know all the details of it as I have my own lifting program so don't use it but it does seem very popular here and I've seen people getting good results from it. There is a group for it here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w

Yeah, New Rules is great for beginners. It explains things really well.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    couldn't find your sports bra?
  • kimberly0416
    kimberly0416 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it and it's helped me get in better shape. I am in no way looking to look anything other than womanly, but I believe in strength training. After saying that I am going to refer you to the bodybuilder site.. lol
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/guides/
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been doing strength training for the last two years and it is an excellent way to lose weight and more importantly tone up. If you're a member of a gym you can look for a knowledgeable staff member to show you the ropes. Or a fit friend. I do most of my strength training at home using circuit training. You can pick up hand weights almost anywhere and they aren't too expensive. Kettlebells are great too but they are a little more pricey. If you don't want to or currently have a lack of funds there is a lot of strength exercises that use only your own body weight too. If you have an Iphone or an Ipod Touch you can get a great free app called Nike Training Club. I use it all the time. It has a lot of workouts for different skill levels and you only need a few pieces of equipment for most. If you like DVDs Jillian Michaels has a lot of great ones: Trouble Zones and Shred It w/ Weights my top two picks. Also if you have netflix instant they have a series called Trainer's Edge. There is a huge variety of different workouts. Oxygen magazine also has a lot of great workouts too as does Muscle & Fitness Hers.

Good Luck! Also make sure you pay attention to form and ask for help when you need it.
    ~Tabby
    Just looked up "Trainer's Edge"... Looks like it's not on instant anymore...:sad: But loving all the ideas suggested:drinker:
  • I would start out with basic strength exercises: bicep curls, lateral & frontal raises, tricep press, tricep dip, chest press, overhead press, push ups, incline sit ups, weighted crunches, medicine ball toe touches, medicine ball oblique twists, and inclined side dips (all of these can be looked up via Google if you don't know how to do these). All of these can be done with free weights in the comfort of your own home if you're nervous to try it in the gym in front of people. Start with 5-8 pound weights & gradually increase the weight every 2-3 weeks, or as you feel appropriate for your body.

Once you've started feeling stronger, move onto the machines: Lat pulldowns, seated row, bench press, dead lifts, and other machines that any trainer at the gym can show you how to use.

Remember, start light with high reps 2-3 times per week. Allow your muscles 1 day recovery and never work the same muscle group 2 days in a row. Good luck!!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I used to stink at push ups (weak arms) but then I started doing them while laying on an exercise ball. You can keep arms wide, them bring them together and do another set. Over time I got much stronger and now can do push ups!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women is a good starting place for all women. I did a few months of NROL before starting Stronglifts over the summer. It's also a great intro to barbell squats and deadlifts, which, IMO, are essential lifts.
  • stix_n_stones
    Options
    couldn't find your sports bra?

haha, on the picture?
  • desamere
    Options
    If you're not a member of a gym and you exercise @ home (that what I do), try the "Supreme 90 Day" DVD collection. They are on sale for only $29.99. Here their web address: www.supreme90day.com. It comes with 9 DVDs, a workout calendar rotation, and a nutrition guide. What I like the most about them is they don't give you specific weights you supposed to be lifting. You lift what you can and build up from there. Hope this help.
    Desamere!
  • stix_n_stones
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips everyone!

LeanMeanFitness, I will look some of those up. Currently I've been working on chest press, tricep press, bicep curls, and the medicine ball twists and touches. I do belong to a gym and have a good foundation in working out. I just need to figure out what works best for me in a routine and yes I do get nervous at the gym. SOOOOO many fit people there, makes me feel a little weak haha
  • mochalovies
    mochalovies Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    yea...the basic upper body workouts with weights is the way to start. Also what has helped me a lot is working the core -- especially planks. II have all my weight in my lower body *aka godzilla thighs** so always been weak on my upper body. I know this may sound odd, but Yoga has helped my upper body strength a whole lot. :)