Anyone do "Body Pump"??? Calories burned?

Options
Just wondering how many calories are burned in a 1 hour class? What do I log it as? I've ordered a Polar FT4 but it's in the mail and probably won't be here for a few weeks.

Replies

• kyleeann15
    kyleeann15 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I really like bodypump though i havent made it to a class in a while. I would track it under weight lifting/strength training. You can put that into the search bar under cardiovascular.
  • Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I just put 300 cals, as I know I work up a sweat but dont feel I work out as much as on a cross trainer xx
  • Lahdidahdah
    Options
    I usually burn about 425 - 475. Depends on your own weight and health, and how much you are lifting.
  • dhurford
    Options
    I burn between 425-475 calories during pump. Using a Polar HRM to get the info. This might differ for you depending on your weight.
  • Mios3
    Mios3 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I usually burn 320 - 360 for this class according to my HRM.

I am 5'1 and weigh 143.5
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    With the new release i burn about 450 while teaching it, but my weights are really high (but I'm pretty fit, so there's that). Most other releases I'm around 330.
  • Jonna13
    Jonna13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Can't wait to get my HRM!!! Love this class!
  • Maryjaneshoes
    Maryjaneshoes Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    According to my HRM, I burn just under 300 during Body Pump....absolutely love it!
  • oouurr__aayylleeyycan
    Options
    I'm hoping to join Body Pump at DW Fitness this week - was wondering if anyone could briefly just take me through what it entails since the gym doesn't have any information on the classes they put on! Thanks
  • fittraier
    fittraier Posts: 138
    Options
    I am an instructor for pump! LOVE it, thanks avid pumper's! It depends on the release really or the mix the instructor uses. I usually put in 400, sometimes it's more, and depends on the person.

if you haven't done pump 80 yet (we launch this weekend) it is more cardio, so my guess the calorie burn will be higher!!

hopefully your HRM will be here soon.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Dang, I think I've been WAY under-calculating my exercise calories for that class. I've been logging it here under cardio -- strength training. A 60 minute class for me (5'5", 124lbs) comes out to 154 calories. And I lift pretty decent weights, too.

Wonder what I'm really burning?
  • leylamh
    leylamh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So there is a calculator for how many calories that you burn. You have to do your heart rate inbetween songs but I found that for the most part I burned over 500. I am a bigger girl but I do not think that it would matter.

Here is the website.
    http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx
  • fayerichardson
    Options
    Hi our_ayley,
    Not sure if anyone replied to you? But basically pump is a weights class. Each track focuses on a different muscle so for instance there is a tricep track, a squats track, a bench press track etc. But the good thing is that you put your own weight on your own bar so you can control your level of effort and don't have to put on a load of weight when your starting out..
    Its great for getting rid of bingo wings, plus its really great when you see the level of weight you can lift increase! (I started out on the bench press track with 1.25kg on each end.....was a right weakling and couldn't even finish the track properly....now I have 3.75kg on each end)
    I would def reccomend it if you haven't gone already and then do a cardio class in the week as well to complement (Body Attack or Body Combat)
    Its also worth telling the instructor that you are new. Then you can ask for advice on the weight level for each track!
    Good luck!
  • bitterbrownie
    Options
    according to my HRM my HR (which is quite low in general) only got an average of 98 for 55 minutes which lef to 86 calories burned..

now i am a light person so don't burn that many calories, but going by other peoples' numbers, mine should be higher...?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    That does seem light - I'm 137 lbs, and I usually burn about 350-400 cals during a Pump class.

Classes usually go:

Track 1 - wram-up. Lightest weight on teh bar, as this is warming up all teh different muscles that'll be used. I use green+yellow (3.75kg each side of the bar)

Track 2: squats. Star with the largest muscles, and consequently the largest weights. I now lift 10kg (2 oranges) each side of the bar, and have really noticed the difference in my thighs and butt.

Track 3: chest - usually done lying down on a bench. Around half of squat weight.

Track 4: back - about the same as chest weight.

Lightest weights for arms and shoulders (biceps, triceps, and shoulders will be 3 different exercises)

Lunges - can use anything from bodyweight right up to squat weight.

Class ends with an abs track, and a cool-down.
  • kristilyn
    Options
    I also go to Body Pump and was wondering the same thing! Dumb question.... What is a Polar Ft 4? Does it tell you how many calories you burn??
  • paulkramer40
    Options
    Excellent question! Had the same one just today-thanks.:glasses:
  • lushgreenapple
    Options
    I stick to 2.5 kg for all the muscle groups since I am a beginner. I could feel the burn! I also get in 40 minutes of cardio prior to the class.
  • 1NitaJohnson
    1NitaJohnson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    so what would you put if you were me. im 5'2. about 179-182 in weight. this was my first day, so im really unsure
  • graceinva
    graceinva Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I found:
    http://www.lesmills.com/files/Email/BODYPUMP Research Report_final.pdf
    from page 5:

Potential benefits of BODYPUMP™ supported by scientific research:
    • Calorie Burning Benefit:
    An average of 483.1 (males) and
    338.9 (females) calories can be burned during a

BODYPUMP™ session. This equates to 8.4 (males) and 5.9 (females) calories per minute. The
    maximum number of calories burned has been shown to be 424 (female), and 603 (male)[1].

An additional 10% of calories (32.3 kcal in males (n=5) experienced in performing
    BODYPUMP™; 43.7 kcal in males (n=7) inexperienced in performing BODYPUMP™) have
    been shown to be burned after the cessation of a BODYPUMP™ session, due to Excess Post-
    Exercise Oxygen Consumption (EPOC)[5].