pulled musle in back

Options
I have been working out 6 nights a week and last night I bent over to pick up an empty laundry basket and pulled a musle in my back :( any suggestions other than ice and ibprophen?

Replies

• tubie22
    Options
    I pulled a muscle in my back today doing cool-down stretching after a work out. It sucks.
    I have just been taking it easy and putting muscle heat rub on the area.
    other than that, i think you just have to wait these things out.
    :grumble:
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    i use my inversion table religously for my back. Also heat then cold packs help more than just ice.
    If it doesn;t hurt to bad try some gentle stretching too
  • caseyp1122
    caseyp1122 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'd stretch my back as much as possible if I were you. On a side note 6 days is a bit much. You may have made your back susceptible to injury by not giving your body enough rest and recuperation time. 24-48 hours in between workouts.
  • caseyp1122
    caseyp1122 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Also there are great articles and some fundamental science based arguments as to why heat, while good in the short term to reduce pain, prolongs the healing process but that is definitely debatable.
  • dawniee
    dawniee Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Chiropractor can majorly help, you think it's a pulled muscle which it could be but it might be your out of alignment in your hips, neck somewhere, i used to have really bad lower back issues, pulled my sacrem all the time due to being out of alignment for years and causing lots of issue like headaches, back pain, neck pain, blah blah blah, but after getting adjusted I no longer have any of these issues. The last time I hurt my lower back was from my hips being out.....it's crazy i could barely walk, i went in and for sure i was out, he adjusted me and bam. NO MORE PAIN!! I was able to work out that day in fact!!! SO if you can, see a chiropractor, it's not expensive even if you don't have insurance, a lot of the time you can just walk in....:O)
  • annimal74
    Options
    Got it stretching never even thought about that :) I have been working out 6 days a week for some time now never had a problem with it so I'm hopeful this is just a minor issue and now that I'm physically stronger and in better shape that it won't take as long to bounce back :)
  • annimal74
    Options
    Well after 11 days our my dr finally released me yesterday :) still have to do some therapy exercises but tonight is my first night back to the gym :) I'm so excited but after 11 days its gonna be a whoopin :-/ and I did gain 2 lbs over thanksgiving inhale