protein shake questions.

Options
I've been trying to decide whether or not to start adding protein shakes to my diet. I'm really wanting to bump up my workouts and would like some info/advice on when to use them... or if i should at all. Also, are there certain kinds that are better than others?

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Whey is my fav!
    Its not that expensive $45 for 5lb jug on www.vitaminshoppe.com.
    Its easy to mix and tastes fantastic!
    If you need any advice just add me!
    Hugs!
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Have you been meetin your protein intake requirements? If not, I'd consider it. Especially if you are starting a lifting/strenous workout program
  • mrsskinny629
    mrsskinny629 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    If you don't normally eat a lot of protein throughout the day, then a protein shake would be in your best interest.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are useful for those that don't get enough protein from whole foods.

I recommend maxing out your whole food options first, because solid protein keeps you fuller, longer.
  • dakoerber
    dakoerber Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I use Shakeology as a breakfast shake. Its is loaded with all your daily nutrients plus protein and it has helped me lost #15lbs. I add fruit, juice or other things depending on my tast for the day. Its amazing!!!! message me if you want more details :)
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I use Shakeology as a breakfast shake. Its is loaded with all your daily nutrients plus protein and it has helped me lost #15lbs. I add fruit, juice or other things depending on my tast for the day. Its amazing!!!! message me if you want more details :)

Ugh
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I just started using Optimum Nutrition whey protein powder because I wasn't getting enough protein each day. I really like it. I got the French Vanilla Creme flavor. It mixes easily and tastes good and it wasn't too expensive.
  • martinh78
    Options
    If you want to start eating back your exercise calories and are already eating a healthy, balanced diet then a protein shake is a handy addition to your menu.

I take one after my workout, and usually one before bed to aid my muscle repair whilst I sleep :o)

I would be careful though, and say it depends on your level of exercise and if you have an accurate calorie burn. It would be easy to drink two shakes in the day and put yourself over you goals. Also it's tempting to have one instead of a proper meal, which you shouldn't really do.

I burn 1000+ calories at a weekend when exercsing, and 450-650 during each workout in the week, so protrein shakes really help me. If I was at a more moderate level of exercise (say 200 calories) I might not bother,
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I like adding them in because it's hard for me to get all my protein... i'll add the chocolate peanut butter flavor to some hot water and a lil' coffee and it tastes like hot chocolate... ;) I like it cold made like smoothies though too..... the most reasonably priced I've found is Walmart's Body Fortress Whey Protein... you can get three 2 pounds containers for 40 something with free shipping... I've tried soy and even hemp protein, and they are too gritty...the whey protein is fairly smooth :) It's also good adding a little of the chocolate flavor into steel cut oats, or into greek yougurt with some cinnamon , stevia and sugarfree caramel syrup... ;)
  • 6packngunz
    Options
    You need to calculate your macros first and see if you need it. I would also get a body fat reading. Most gyms have a body fat calculator. You should be getting 1g of protein for every pound of LEAN BODY MASS (this is the current weight minus the body fat %).
    Watch the carbs in it too. Some have very high carbs. I take Optimum Gold Standard 100% Whey, 5 Lbs., Double Rich Chocolate. Amazon is the cheapest place I found it.
    Good luck.
  • SuzieMae78
    SuzieMae78 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    similar situation for my best friend, any help?!
    what is a good Protein shake for someone at goal weight looking to firm up? My best friend is at her goal weight and runs 5 miles a day and looking for a good shake with out going to Complete Nutrition and blowing a bunch of unncessary $$ there.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Soliciting is against the forum rules.

As for the topic at hand, I current;y use Optimum Nutrition Whey protein, when I need a protein boost.