Tacos

Options
AwMyLoLo
AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
Does anyone have any suggestions for making traditional home made tacos more calorie-friendly? I was already thinking of using a lettuce wrap instead of taco shell. Also, instead of using taco seasoning in the ground beef, what should I use with less sodium?

Thanks! :wink:

Replies

• AwMyLoLo
    Options
    Does anyone have any suggestions for making traditional home made tacos more calorie-friendly? I was already thinking of using a lettuce wrap instead of taco shell. Also, instead of using taco seasoning in the ground beef, what should I use with less sodium?

• angievan26
    angievan26 Posts: 212
    Options
    use ground turkey.. and kraft free cheedar cheese
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    you can use low sodium seasoning, and you can use ground chicken or ground turkey for part or all of the meat, once you season it it is hardly noticeable.
  • blamadrid09
    Options
    I use onion, garlic, tomato and a mixture of mild chili powder, garlic/onion powder (not garlic/onion salt) and low sodium beef bouillon (optional). This usually gives it a nice flavor without the added sodium.

Hope this helps.
  • cryt11
    cryt11 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    YUM:drinker: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • christahollis
    Options
    i'm a vegetarian, so i load mine up with veggies. i also use whole wheat soft tortillas...healthier, and morninstar farms meal starters veggie crumbles. they have a lighter flavor than meat (and a ton fewer calories), so they don't need as much taco seasoning to be flavorful.
    they make it past my six-year-old...so they must be good!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Just remember, if you use turkey meat, and are looking for low cal, the 99% fat free turkey breast is the best for that.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I use soft tortilla shells low carb low cal ..and cook chicken in a crock pot mixed with low sodium broth and the taco seasoning...then use the chicken instead of ground beef or turkey....u can also put the shells in a metal oven safe bowl anbd make bread bowls out of them bake till crispy and fill with lettuce and taco stuff
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options

Make your own seasoning, most of it is cumin, ground pepper, chilli powder, paprika
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options

Make your own seasoning, most of it is cumin, ground pepper, chilli powder, paprika

Big thumbs up for this. You can also use some Goya Sazon con culantro y achiote, its available in packets. Its low salt, and tastes awesome. Its great for taco meat/meat subs.
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    thanks for the suggestions, keep em comin!!

I should def. get some cilantro, I love it!

Now I need to worry about what I am going to have for lunch!
  • Tim964
    Tim964 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I make my own taco seasoning mix. The basic recipe for 1 pound of meat is as follows (just add thsi plus about 1/2 cup of water), but you can change it up depending on what you like. I generally use a little more red pepper in mine, and sometimes I use chipotle chili powder instead or regular.

2 teaspoons instant onion, Minced
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper, Crushed
    1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
    1/2 teaspoon instant garlic, Minced
    1/2 teaspoon cumin, Ground
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    thanks for the suggestions, keep em comin!!

I should def. get some cilantro, I love it!

Now I need to worry about what I am going to have for lunch!

Make it a taco salad. I use lean meat, onions, garlic, spices, black beans, lots of veggies, and top w/ tomatoes, picante/salsa, and hot sauce!! :bigsmile:

Otherwise I use the low-carb whole wheat tortillas instead of the corn tortillas. :wink:
  • tron3002
    tron3002 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Actually my family loves chicken tacos better than hamburger ones. Just boil chicken breasts until done, shred and use the taco seasoning. I usually have about two lbs of chicken for one package of taco seasoning so that cuts down on the salt.