Boxing

Options
Does anyone work out in a boxing gym? I am going to my first class tonight and I am pretty excited, but a little nervous. I am pretty out of shape and from what I hear boxing is an incredible workout and could be a great way to shed the weight.

I will be doing it 4 days a week.

Mondays - Boxing
Tuesdays - Circuit Training
Wednesday - Boxing
Thursday - Circuit Training

Here is a little promo video I found of the gym

http://youtu.be/7R4sInXpoWI

Replies

• Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I don't but have been trying to find a local gym that I can go to.
  • clarkie77
    Options
    Hi bhall33,

You will be fine!!

I pretty much lost all my weight via boxing training and track work.
    I found it to be fun and a great stress reliever.

You will find that the weight will fall off, your cardio will go through the roof and coupled with a good diet you will feel fantastic!!!

I highly recommend this boxing drill called the 30-30-30 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_sdocwSpQw

Best of luck.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I do. Sometimes I do the boxing class, sometimes I do Muay Thai depending on how my knees are doing...

if you are REALLY out of shape, my advice is to not do 4 days all up front. I'd do a couple weeks two times per week to start just to break your body in.

Be careful eating back boxing calories.

Let's say you have a 60 minute class,
    5 minutes stretching
    10 minutes light aerobic warm up
    15 minutes strength training
    30 minutes bag work

you might not be accurate to just put 'boxing' down. Just going with that i end up around 850-900 calories burned, but if I break my class down to its components I end up around 650. YMMV.
  • bhall33
    bhall33 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi bhall33,

You will be fine!!

I pretty much lost all my weight via boxing training and track work.
    I found it to be fun and a great stress reliever.

You will find that the weight will fall off, your cardio will go through the roof and coupled with a good diet you will feel fantastic!!!

Best of luck.

Great to hear I think the class atmosphere with the talent level going from beginner to pro's will be great because I'm very competitive and thrive in that kind of environment. How did you go about eating your calories back?
  • alicollins74
    alicollins74 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I go to Title Boxing Club and it is the best workout! I have lost 65 pounds and gone from size 22/24 to 14 in 9 months. I love it and I am addicted to it. I watched your video attachment and i do similar exercises. you will tone and lose weight, gain confidence and cardio training. I love punching and kicking the bag as hard as I can--relieves stress!

Good luck! you will love it!
  • clarkie77
    Options

Great to hear I think the class atmosphere with the talent level going from beginner to pro's will be great because I'm very competitive and thrive in that kind of environment. How did you go about eating your calories back?

I just made sure my calories sat around a minimum of 1200 for the day. Keeping the diet fairly high protein, low carb.
    Sometimes I might drink a protein shake with low fat milk straight after training to fuel myself directly after.

1788194.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • bhall33
    Options
    So went to the first class, we did a lot of footwork, hitting the heavy bag non-stop for two minutes multiple times (harder than it sounds), step ups, practising how to throw proper punches and jump roping. It was pretty much non-stop with very little breaks, I was tired after the stretching lol but I managed to make it through it all with as little breaks as I could take.

Tonight is Circuit training and after talking to the guys they all mentioned it was about 10x harder than what we went through yesterday. So I am pretty excited about it Ill keep you updated on how it goes.
  • bhall33
    Options
    Wow!

I did circuit training yesterday for an hour straight. I have never had a more productive 1 hour workout. It was seriously non-stop.

By the end of the warm up I was exhausted and then I realized we were only 10 mins in! I ended up making it through the entire work out, a lot of it I had to modify just because I didn't have the strength to do it, but the more I attend the stronger I will become.

I feel great this morning a little sore but I really feel like I have accomplished something.

I should add this was probably 10x harder than the boxing class I did the day before