Argh! Clothing Conundrums!

Options
spoonflipper
spoonflipper Posts: 11 Member
So I've been doing 30 Day Shred and eating very well and I've lost a couple inches on my waist. I was a size 20, now I'm very nearly a solid 18 (pants a little muffin toppy in the 18s I've tried on, but in a couple weeks I should be comfy).
The size 20 pants I'm stuck with right now are getting soooo baggy (eventually they'll be slipping down too much), but I don't want to go buy new pants in a new size and then (hopefully) drop another size or two and have to buy MORE pants/clothes. What do people do?
The obvious thing (to me) is to go dig around at Goodwill or Out of the Closet and hope I get lucky -but I hardly ever find larger sized clothes at thrift stores (I know they exist but the hardcore people probably snap them up first).
What do you guys do? I'm on a tight budget; this could get expensive. Gyurgh.
-Erin in Clown Pants

Replies

• WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Can you get them taken in? If you know how, or know someone who does, just put the pants on inside out, pin it to the snugness you need, then run them through a sewing machine. Or check out tailors in your area. It will cost a few dollars per item, depending on the tailor. A lot less expensive than buying new, or even secondhand.
    Hooray for having that kind of dilemma. :-) congrats!
  • robinaddison
    robinaddison Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Yup - it's a problem. Value Village is my friend for a lot of stuff. I also have some friends that have been losing weight and we swap clothes around. And, well...I look at it as a cost of doing business - and my reward for getting my fat butt into shape!! So, I am buying a few new "transitional clothes" - I like to look good, and I figure life is short - if I wait until I have the perfect body to buy new clothes it may never happen!
  • JenOman
    JenOman Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I wear a belt... Tailoring is an excellent idea.
  • pocomama
    pocomama Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    lol, I so feel your pain. I was wearing size 22 jeans when my mom finally dragged me to the store to get some pants that weren't falling off. Imagine my shock when I fit in size 16 exercise pants, comfortably. I refused to buy more jeans until about a month ago and I am wearing them but I highly doubt they will last me more than another month. My suggestion would be to get some stretchy clothes. I practically live in track pants. Get things with drawstrings whenever possible. You might not be the most fashionable person around, but I think it helps to not buy cute clothes until you get to your goals. I might get a few new outfits when I hit 65 pounds lost, but I have a huge shopping spree planned for the 80-90 pound loss mark.
  • PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Oh, that is tough...can't you just wear the same jeans everyday? LOL, I"m joking, but I swear I feel like I"m always wearing the same 3 pairs of pants. I have more jeans but they are a size 4, and those still make me look terrible XD I definitely reccommend shopping around at the thrift stores, just keep looking, you're bound to find something <3
  • crb1988
    crb1988 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have been wearing my bigger clothes until someone tells me "that shirt is too big...". I'm on a budget, so I feel your pain and share your frustration. I have gone and spent about $200 on new clothes over the past month, and bought the essentials (dress pants, jeans, bras, etc). I have put jeans in the dryer, and they shrink up for me. My cotton tees do the same thing.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I am so *ahem* cheap that I buy only 2 pairs of pants in each size which means I am always still wearing a size too large.

Belts and safety pins are my best friends.

:flowerforyou:
  • shellyc7182
    shellyc7182 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful thing to have a complaint about! I'm jealous! I second the recommendations for a tailor or taking them in yourself! Depending on the fabric and the seams, this should not be too much trouble! And P.S., if you're on a budget, start saving some money now for your new skinny wardrobe, even if it's just a few dollars here and there each paycheck!
  • spottedlee
    Options
    Can you get them taken in? If you know how, or know someone who does, just put the pants on inside out, pin it to the snugness you need, then run them through a sewing machine. Or check out tailors in your area. It will cost a few dollars per item, depending on the tailor. A lot less expensive than buying new, or even secondhand.
    Hooray for having that kind of dilemma. :-) congrats!
    That was my first recommendation,, I found same problem so I borrowed (stole) sewing machine from my daughter,, (don't tell her.) It makes a HUGE difference.
  • crb1988
    crb1988 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    lol, I so feel your pain. I was wearing size 22 jeans when my mom finally dragged me to the store to get some pants that weren't falling off. Imagine my shock when I fit in size 16 exercise pants, comfortably. I refused to buy more jeans until about a month ago and I am wearing them but I highly doubt they will last me more than another month. My suggestion would be to get some stretchy clothes. I practically live in track pants. Get things with drawstrings whenever possible. You might not be the most fashionable person around, but I think it helps to not buy cute clothes until you get to your goals. I might get a few new outfits when I hit 65 pounds lost, but I have a huge shopping spree planned for the 80-90 pound loss mark.

Drawstrings are my friend too lol...I have 4 pairs of khaki pants with drawstrings that are a size 22, and I bought a new pair of jeans last week that are a 16, with room to spare. The drawstrings are pulled tight in the khakis lol.
  • angelbeville
    Options
    Congratulations on your shrinking tushy! I started out in 26/28 (probably should have been 32!) and am now 16/18, depending on how they are made. Luckily my local Goodwill has plenty in those sizes, and in better brands than I could afford otherwise, ha ha! I didn't actually buy smaller sizes until I was about a size 20. Just wore baggy with belts! Now, I'm doing the "Goodwill Shuffle." Buying a few things, then "re-donating" once I've reached a smaller size.

I won't buy retail until I'm at goal!

Good luck!!!
  • Pinupdollrawr
    Pinupdollrawr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, you can try shrinking them some in the dryer, if possible or you could buy some cute leggings or tights?
  • spoonflipper
    spoonflipper Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Someone at work mentioned tailoring. Hmm. Maybe. I mean they're just pants from Gap and the hems are fraying a bit, it doesn't seem worth the effort*. Maybe I can find some elastic waist skirts? I do like wearing skirts and tights.
    Can't wear sweatpants or jeans at work; strictly business casual. I've been wearing the same two pairs of pants pretty much constantly.
    At some points I'll have to bite the bullet and buy new stuff. I'd LIKE to wait til I'm a 16 at least though.
    I'm definitely going to start saving for new clothes! Then it's ModCloth, here I am come!
    I sure envy being suprised that you're a size smaller in the dressing room. I keep obsessively trying stuff on to see how I'm progressing.

*Totally making excuses.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Also, any items that still are in good repair, no stains, etc. you can sell at consignment stores, and use any money you get to purchase clothes from the same place. Or take the cash and buy at goodwill or value village.
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Totally my problem. My clothing is comically too large. But I have never been smaller than a 12 (big hips even when I was 140lbs), I am a solid 14 right now and I just cannot bear to buy a bunch of 14s so I am just wearing comedic 16s. I can't get them tailored when they were $20 pants in the first place, its not worth it I may as well buy a new pair. They look very silly but they stay on (albeit the crotch is about 3 inches too low). You have to decide where you are willing to spend money. I decided for me that number was 12 and humor until then.