P90X Classic or Lean?

Options
So I just got my P90X program today, and I was wondering if I should do classic or lean? I want to do both of them eventually, but I was wondering which one was better to do first?

Thanks!

Replies

• MommaFuhrer
    MommaFuhrer Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I personally like the lean version.....there is more cardio and less strength training but both are really challenging! GOOD LUCK!
  • dointhis4me
    dointhis4me Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I think the general suggestions is that you go with classic first and then the lean. The classic program is one that will work on overall fitness, help you build up some muscle and gain a better over all ability. Once you've graduated from that 90 days, you can take your short break and jump into the cardio. I tried the lean program first and I couldn't move maybe 10 minutes into the first workout. I got absolutly no benefit because I was needing a break every 10 minutes or so. Now that I'm working through the classic, I have a better ability, can finally do TWO, count them TWO unassisted pull ups, and I've lost a moderate amount of weight to where I feel my knees won't kill me when I do take up the lean program in a few months.

Hope I've helped!
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Depends, do you have weights or resistance bands? Place to put a pull up bar? What are your goals?
  • FAVORED1
    FAVORED1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Recently, I started the lean program and find myself adding/taking away workouts as they are not challenging enough for me. So I would say start with Classic... Side note-- I love Core synergistics in the lean program... Maybe you can add that as a bonus to your workout should you choose to cimplete the classic workout first. ~ The enitre program is great . Best
  • lhanks89
    lhanks89 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Depends, do you have weights or resistance bands? Place to put a pull up bar? What are your goals?

I have weights, no pull-up bar or resistance bands.

My goals are to lose weight and tone up my body. I'm a swimmer so I'm in fairly good shape, but I could be in better shape and have better definition in my muscles. I also want a flat stomach.
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I've done classic and am doing lean right now. I find lean to be MUCH easier, but I was looking for something a little more easygoing this time around. They are more alike than they are different, though, so I think it's really just preference if you want more cardio (lean) or more strength (classic). If I'm not mistaken, though, it's 2 days of strength in lean and 3 in classic? And really, Core Synergistics might as well be a strength workout for the core... so... six to one, half dozen the other.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    Start classic. :) Best for overall full body work, fat loss, muscle growth.

Core Synergistics is included in that program also during your recovery weeks.

Pick up an in door frame pull up bar from Walmart, they are about $40-$50

Nice program . I have done it many times, get good results every time.
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options

I have weights, no pull-up bar or resistance bands.

My goals are to lose weight and tone up my body. I'm a swimmer so I'm in fairly good shape, but I could be in better shape and have better definition in my muscles. I also want a flat stomach.

I would think hit Classic if you are ready to tone. If you are a swimmer, then your cardio is probably good. Classic uses a lot of pull ups and different routines for isolation, so having select able weights up to 25lbs (based on your level) may be the best solution. I have the Bowflex Selectechs, which is not necessary, but being able to use a different weight would be ideal as you go through the 90 days
  • lhanks89
    lhanks89 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Very cool, looks like I'm going with classic first and then lean. I'll also try to get some resistance bands or a pull-up bar.

Thanks everyone!