Excercise question

Options
I need some advice please! Whenever I jog (which is very new to me) Just above my ankles hurts so badly that I HAVE to stop. But its not just at the front, the the whole way aroung my leg just above the ankle. I have tried stretching but it doesnt seem to help. I have also warmed up for a full five minute walk before jogging on the treadmill, and it still hurts!

I am trying to do couch to 5k, i have only done day one, and it would have not been too hard at all if it wernt for the pain.

any suggestions?

Replies

• RedBullLiz
    RedBullLiz Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Maybe you over do it??

When I started jogging, it was ok.
    But I get the same pain.
    Not exactly the ankles, just above.
    Funny thing though, I still feel like I can keep jogging.
    BUT that pain starts to kick in.

Most logical thing you could do is to shorten your jog.
    I have, and it's less of the pain.

Hopefully, something works out 8D
    Good luck!!
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    What kind of shoes are you using? Have you been properly fitted? Shoes play a big part into your alignment when you are running. While you are just starting out you will find that things may hurt or be sore just due to the muscles not being used in a long time. So some soreness, muscles aches are common. However, I am no doctor, In my own opinion, if you continue to do the program and are still having pain after a week, I would consult your physician, just to make sure that there isn't something else going on. It's better to be safe than sorry.
  • georg1aaa
    Options
    This happens to me all the time :-( my whole family has a history of joint pain and general weak joints, so I pass it off as nothing. Try and slow down or add heat/ice to the area that hurts, I can't remember which you're supposed to add. Remember, google is your friend and it will help too! If the problem persists, go to the doctor x
  • dirtydirtydiana
    Options
    I have the same problem, too. I've heard from some people that it could be because my ankles are weak or something. It's not that I can't jog long because I'm out of breath, my heart rate is usually at 70% but then my ankles start getting tired and it hurts.

Are there ankle exercises that can be done to strengthen them (if that is indeed the problem)?
  • espence30
    espence30 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    watch how you are putting your foot down as you run..its possibly the way your are landing.. also could be the shoes... but I think its the way you are putting your foot down.. you should go from heel to toe as you run.. at least that helped me...before i was running like almost flat footed and tore up my ankles
  • lyddsmom
    Options
    My hips hurt when I jog so I don't jog. Talking to your doctor is a smart idea, but if the pain persists you may have to do what I have done and choose another type of exercise. I'm much happier with biking, zumba and yoga anyway. Good luck!
  • jmvane15
    Options
    I guess the only think i can think of is to take it easy.
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It's possible that your legs need to get used to pounding the pavement too. If I don't jog for a week or two then start up again, the front of my shins ache. If I don't jog for a month, my feet ache and my hips ache for the first few days. Your body may be building up your bones to adjust to the extra rigor.

Try walking every other day or slipping in a bit of jogging gradually and building up.
  • laulau89
    Options
    Thanks Everyone. It could be the shoes, I dont have great shoes

But the pain goes away about 5 mins after I stop. So weird, im not out of breath, I just cant do it anymore!

I will see how I go! Thank you
  • stewartcarden
    Options
    Is it a treadmill you use? Put it on an incline to stop the slap down hurting so much , make sure you stretch out etc ( try sitting down , point your toes and writing the alphabet with them (: ) . Try and land your feet gentler , I'm a big guy , and had a problem where my feet slapped down really hard due to my weight ( and the fact im flat footed) , resulted in ankle ( kinda top right front side of it ) being agony!