What exercise is that supposed to be?

Options
IronSmasher
IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
A thread for people to post confusing things they've seen in the gym, from leaning all of your weight on your arms on the stair master to stop you getting a workout, to standing on the spot and swinging little dumbells back and forth like a school girl playing with her dress.

Replies

• sarahsaca
    sarahsaca Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    OMG -- I totally don't get why people put the treadmill incline on the highest level and then hold on for dear life?????? Put it on a lower incline and then let go and use your damn arms.......... not that it really bothers me :laugh:
  • bigfluffyjujubird
    Options
    power walking confuses me, looks like someone really needs a poo, walk or jog not somewhere inbetween.
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    LET GO OF THE TREADMILL, PEOPLE!!! Many moons ago I discovered just how much I was CHEATING my workout by holding on. There is a huge difference in the effective burn. When I first let go, I had to back off several degrees to be able to handle it with the same effort. From there, I knew it was only fair to compare my progress if it was hands-free. Eventually, I worked my way up to the highest incline without holding on.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    OMG -- I totally don't get why people put the treadmill incline on the highest level and then hold on for dear life?????? Put it on a lower incline and then let go and use your damn arms.......... not that it really bothers me :laugh:

Yes. I call them The Danglers. :laugh:

It bugs me that there's only a few treadmills that get decent airflow from the ceiling fans... and they're almost exclusively occupied by people walking slow and wearing sweatshirts.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    avIzc.png
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    A guy sprinting in place in the steam room.... "Hot Cardio"???

I just about spit my water out! :laugh:
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Talking of people going slow, there's the people chatting on the rowers and only using their arms? I never found rowing difficult, but appear to be of a rare breed that understands the simple concept of using my whole body to pull a chain.
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

Yes. I call them The Danglers. :laugh:

It bugs me that there's only a few treadmills that get decent airflow from the ceiling fans... and they're almost exclusively occupied by people walking slow and wearing sweatshirts.
    I'm a walker, but I rock 15 degrees for an hour. I felt no need to destroy my knees at +-300 lbs. Fans would be good, though.
  • sarahsaca
    sarahsaca Posts: 50 Member
    Options

LMAO :laugh:
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    power walking confuses me, looks like someone really needs a poo, walk or jog not somewhere inbetween.

LMAO!!!!!!!! I thought the same thing!!!!! reminds of me that "gotta go gotta go" commercial for urine incontinence
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    For the record, I have nothing against people walking, fast or slow. It's when they need to bundle up in a hoodie in the only spot with a breeze while I'm soaked through and sweating buckets that bugs me. If you're cold enough for a sweatshirt, don't take the breezy treadmill!
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    The holding on to the treadmill and stairclimber drives me bonkers....just seems like a waste of time.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    The holding on to the treadmill and stairclimber drives me bonkers....just seems like a waste of time.

Working an isometric hold to hit your upper body there? Nice work
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options

eeew did anyone else get nasty male jiggly-craziness images? gag. lol
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    there's a woman at the school where i walk/run that walks and flaps her arms up and down like she's trying to fly away. Not arm circles or anything....like FLAPPING. I swear if she ever chirps or squawks i'm finding another place to run.
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    That guy who gets on the elliptical wearing a gigantic hoodie with the hood up and strings drawn. The only part of his face you can see is from the bottom of his nose to his chin. Did the Assissin's Creed guy need an extra workout today?
  • RonneyKay
    RonneyKay Posts: 464 Member
    Options

eeew did anyone else get nasty male jiggly-craziness images? gag. lol

Whew glad I wasn't the only one! LOL... yea, ewwwwww

i used to take a water aerobics class... I LOVED It, but the ladies in there would just talk and not do the exersices??? then why take the effin class!!!!

and yes, I agree with the power walking, wtf is that all about? LOL
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    I like to work my obliques using side bends, but with a heavy weight in BOTH hands, so I'm nicely balanced...
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Reading on the recumbent bike anyone?

Today I saw texting on the leg press. No, not between sets. I'm thinking she could've handled a little more weight.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Fully dressing for working out, and going around our block walking at a snail's pace while either talking to your partner or text messaging. Feel the burn!!!!