Weight Lifting -- How much is too little?

Options
Is (moderate) weight training once a week effective or a waste of time? I want to tone my legs and arms and of course tighten my abs but I'm not big on weight training and don't want to give up my elliptical training time to spend on weights. The elliptical has been very effective for me and I don't want to give up no more than 30 minutes once a week. Too little?

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Too little.

Weightlifting is where you will find the 'bootay' as they say.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    something is better than nothing I guess, but 2x a week would be a million times better.

and weight training will make your body look a MILLION times better. You only need to add a little bit of lifting time to your week - you don't have to replace the elliptical.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I would say once a week is too little.

Aim for at least 2, preferably 3 to really get benefits from it. You don't have to give up the elliptical at all just add that little bit extra in :)
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Too little. 2-3x per week would be a minimum for a beginner.
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Others here know more than me, but I read somewhere that 1X/week does more harm than good, 2X is break even and you need to get to 3X or more to get benefits from weight training. Ciao, Marc
  • Dlynndavis
    Dlynndavis Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Wow. Guess I need to make the time for it. I'm seriously baffled. I've gone from a size 10 to a size 6 (almost 4) but I've only lost 10 pounds but major inches. I figured muscle would automatically build! Although small, I have no muscle definition except for "apples" on top of my arms. That's the only muscle I can see -- and very proud of it btw.