family/children

Options
So a question for families out there, Right now my husband and i have 2 children and both on the fence weather or not to have another... how did YOU know when your family was complete?

Replies

• AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer, but just make sure you don't ask the Duggers!!! :tongue:
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    We knew before we ever started that 2 was all we wanted.
  • mrimike
    mrimike Posts: 139
    Options
    Having the third made things much harder than having just the two. But, you'll love them just as much and won't be able to imagine what life would have been like without them. I wanted just two, mainly because I was scared to death of my wife going through post partum depression again. But number three is my mini me:)
  • susanmax
    Options
    I know some people think that money shouldn't be a factor in whether you have more kids but my theory is that if you can't afford to do all the things you want to do with your family then you shouldn't have another baby. Right now my husband and I have two babies and he has a daughter from a previous marriage. I would love to have another baby but if we did then we wouldn't be able to put our kids in sports and other activities. We also wouldn't be able to go on any holidays. I don't know if this helps but that is my theory. Hope it helps!
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Can you afford three children? They're expensive little blighters! :smile:
  • _snw_
    _snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    When my monthly daycare bill totalled a bit more than $2,800.00 .... we said enough was enough.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I've been on the fence for the last couple of months. I have two, both girls, 4 and 2. They are wonderful, beautiful little monsters. Everyone around me is getting preggo. My womb hurts when I see a little baby, so bad I want to go right home, rip out my IUD, throw husband on the bed and go at it until there's a + on that little stick.
    But I don't, and I feel 90% confident that I won't.
    It used to be, only a year ago, that if you so much as implied that I was going to have a third child the punishment was a slap across the face. I try very hard to remember that. As cute as she is, my youngest was the pickiest, non-sleepiest, non-eatiest, fussiest baby. It was so hard to try to balance her and her sister. Please don't mus-interpret me, I would not change my family, ever, but it was no cake-walk for me. I just don't have the required patience to keep another little person happy while they are unable to communicate their needs.
    As much as I want a little baby to dress up and cuddle and love and take care of and nurture and watch grow, I just don't think I have another two years of mothering a baby in me. And that tells me that my family is complete.
    In addition, there's a certain balance to the "two of them, two of us" theory. If our family grew, we would need a bigger house. We would need a bigger car. We would need new baby stuff, because I gave it all away when my second was a year old and still not sleeping longer than four hours at a time. It makes *sense* to call our family complete.
    And for some reason, typing this all out has made me feel much more confident in my decision. So thanks :)
  • baybeecakes08
    Options
    When my monthly daycare bill totalled a bit more than $2,800.00 .... we said enough was enough.

we dont use daycare or any child care so thats not an issue with us !! BUT holy thats expenive
  • baybeecakes08
    Options
    Can you afford three children? They're expensive little blighters! :smile:

i think we could !
  • baybeecakes08
    Options
    Having the third made things much harder than having just the two. But, you'll love them just as much and won't be able to imagine what life would have been like without them. I wanted just two, mainly because I was scared to death of my wife going through post partum depression again. But number three is my mini me:)

what is the age differencewith your kids ? what made it harder? just having a third or jealousy with the other 2 kids
  • _snw_
    _snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options

we dont use daycare or any child care so thats not an issue with us !! BUT holy thats expenive

I got laid off just after my 3rd was born (i'm a software engineer) and I thought I'd do the stay-at-home-mom thing. Not. For. Me. Kudos for you though - I think anyone who can do it is about a billion times better than me. And I say that with all sincerity.
  • RonneyKay
    RonneyKay Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer, but just make sure you don't ask the Duggers!!! :tongue:

LOL AYYYYYMEN!
  • Captain_Mal
    Captain_Mal Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    You may never know. Someone told me, "when your heart is full, you'll know"....wtf. I have 4 lovely children, all about 2 years apart and I would gladly have more. My husband didn't want any more so he had a vascectomy done. I tease him occasionally and throw out the adoption thing a few times a year.