Arm curls

Options
How many calories are burned by doing 300 standing arm curls?

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    it depends
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    it depends

agreed.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,243 Member
    Options
    No idea, but not very many. If you are doing 300 arm curls you really are not achieving very much. It may, and I emphasize may, increase the endurance of your biceps, but since the biceps is such a small muscle is burns very little calories. You would have been better served for calorie burning doing body weight squats. If you want to work your biceps you need some weight. Enough that it will be a struggle for you to get more than 8-10 repetitions.
  • emancipateurself
    emancipateurself Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    the only way to know is to have a hrm.....
  • jeffkussman
    Options
    Yeah it depends. Did you break a sweat? Was it hard? Was it all at once?
  • chinadoll725
    chinadoll725 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Confused...why would you do 300 arm curls anyway??
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options

Actually, I'm kidding. It depends on the weight you are using, how much effort you are putting into it, how long it takes, etc. One tip, though...I'm into getting more bang for your buck. Standing arm curls, if they're the one I'm thinking of, mainly work your biceps. The more muscle you engage in a movement, the better. If you are using dumbells, standing on one foot while raising the other leg, knee bent, foot down (think Captain Morgan) and curling the dumbell, then when it gets to your shoulder, turn your hand palm out and press up over your head for a shoulder press, then bring it back down to your shoulders, turn your palms back in and finish the last half of the curl. Do half your reps then switch legs and balance on the other one for the last half of the reps. Standing on one foot engages your core. And you're getting shoulder presses in along with your arm curls in almost the same amount of time. Just a suggestion.
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Why on earth would you do 300 arm curls? I assume you mean at a time, or in one day. Get some heavier weights and knock that number WAY down.
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Exactly. Why bother? Biceps are a tiny muscle (just from looking at how much muscle you move, you'd burn as many calories from doing one squat using your legs as you would by doing 20 curls) and 300 reps is pointless for anything but building endurance, which, as you're asking about calories, I doubt you're interested in.

If you're going to do curls try using a much heavier weight and maybe do 10-12, using a weight that is heavy enough that you find the last rep really hard (if not impossible) to complete. Then do that 3 or 4 times. From a calorie point of view that is still barely worth doing, but at least you'd be building a little muscle.

But really, if you're doing anything with weights anyway, you'd be better off with other exercises like press ups or presses, row movements, squats etc.
  • Toomuchmommy
    Options
    I don't do 300 personally. I was wondering because of friend of mine does like 300 x4 a day with 250 lb weights.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I don't do 300 personally. I was wondering because of friend of mine does like 300 x4 a day with 250 lb weights.

You could have asked.. I burnt 28,000 calories.
  • _David_
    _David_ Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    You friend is nkt doing 300 arm curls with 250lb 4 times a day! No freaking way
  • Toomuchmommy
    Options
    You friend is nkt doing 300 arm curls with 250lb 4 times a day! No freaking way
    He's a body builder. He likes to do things in excess.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options

I hope he alternates arms, or he's going to look really, REALLY silly.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

I hope he alternates arms, or he's going to look really, REALLY silly.

Giggity
    tumblr_kr1hnifZZc1qa6fdio1_500.png
  • Toomuchmommy
    Options
    Hahaha
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    troll?

it's clearly 300 cals, 1 per curl.

P.S you're friend should do some weighted chins and stop being a squat rack curler.
  • Toomuchmommy
    Options
    What is a squat rack curler?
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    !
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Okay, thats not true, lol! 250lbs?! Yeah okay well I regularly burn a million calories when I do that many :D Either you are joking, or your friend picked on a very gullible peep.