My dessert addiction...

Options
I'm addicted to dessert. Part of the reason I put on so much weight my first two years of college was because I was on my own without my mom to stop me, and midnight dessert runs happened 3X a week, if not more... I have no intention of giving up dessert, and although I manage to stay under my calorie goal almost every day, a decent amount of my calories come from dessert (anywhere from 300-600 cals/day).

I'm wondering: how much does my diet affect the speed of weight loss? If I was eating 1200 calories of whole grains and veggies all day and not eating dessert, would I be losing weight faster? I'm happy with my progress so far and I'm not looking to rush weight loss--I'm just curious. I have heard people say "a calorie is a calorie is a calorie," and then I wonder how true that is... but I also remember hearing about a guy who lost weight by only eating 1200 cals a day... of Twinkies.

I guess I just feel guilty for saving so many calories for dessert--but honestly, the knowledge that I can have a candy bar or ice cream at the end of the day helps me get through my workout!

So, I suppose I'm not really looking for advice, as the dessert is staying at this point. I'm just wondering if anyone who has been in the same boat can share their experiences with dessert, or if you want to commiserate about how all desserts should be guilt free...

Replies

• cathyAprice
    Options
    I drink Shakeology...it's a yummy as a dessert but the smartest calories you can put in your body...been drinking it every day since March 2010 and able to come off meds, have energy, curbs cravings, etc etc
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    If it fits in with your goals, don't worry about it.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    If it fits in with your goals, don't worry about it.
    What she said. :drinker:
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Good for you for holding on to what's important to you. I'm a dessert person, I can totally relate. I will never give up beautiful desserts.
  • kcthatsme
    kcthatsme Posts: 5,136 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sryan8408
    Options
    I was always a dessert junkie. I loved chocolate. But for my health, I decided to give up artificial sweetners for one week, including my beloved diet coke. I switched to Truvia (healthiest no calorie sweetner) for my coffee etc. After one week, my sweets cravings are honestly pretty low. I have a lot more will power when it comes to it. I even had a diet coke after my week was up and it was way too sweet! I hate cake now because the frosting tastes like pure sugar to me. Whipped cream is also way too sweet for me now. Maybe its worth a try for you? Just one week. no artificial sweetners.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I drink Shakeology...it's a yummy as a dessert but the smartest calories you can put in your body...been drinking it every day since March 2010 and able to come off meds, have energy, curbs cravings, etc etc

Oh, and you aren't supposed to use this site to advertise. Sorry. They don't allow it. There is a Shakeology group you can join, though.
  • season1980
    season1980 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie. Granted if you are nourishing your body with healthy whole foods it is going to be able to function better and perhaps burn fat better, but your right it is all about the math. I am part of a bodybuilding forum even where a bodybuilder built his building and cutting routine diet off of the mcdonalds menu. So dont beat yourself up to much about dessert here or there but try to limit it more than 600 calories.....try 300. Also are you wt liftting.....if not start and you will see your wt loss improve!
  • reactor25
    reactor25 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I love dessert. The reason MFP has worked for me is that it lets me factor in desserts and still stay within a reasonable weight loss goal. I've tried dieting before and anything that involves sacrificing sweets gets abandoned almost immediately. When I do have weeks that I manage to do with less desserts than usual, even though the calories are the same, I think I lose more weight. Calories are not equal for me, my body burns up the healthy stuff fast! But, I am still at a point where I know I want desserts, so I accept the fact that my choicest are not optimal healthy. But, I am light years away from where I was just 5 months and 25 pounds ago!
  • Megabot
    Megabot Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Yeah I find it really hard when people say "just cut out ____ out of your diet," regardless of what it is. Like no I'm not cutting my 2% milk to skim. I'm NOT giving up chocolate. (these people just are asking for unpleasantness they don't even KNOW about.)

Especially if you're still in college, I think the best thing you could do is get on a regular excercise schedule. My friend was on the crew team and their calorie goals for the day were like 3000-4000 calories, because they worked out so much. Now that's an extreme example, but when you need 3000 calories a day, a brownie isn't gonna kill you. Now if you're on the elliptical burning 600 calories every day for an hour - I say that's the best way to get trim AND keep eating your treats :)

Remember to try to keep your diet balanced in other ways. Enough fiber, protein, etc. And try to make sure you're not getting too much saturated fat/cholesterol from the treats. And you'll probably be fine.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. If it helps motivate you, then great.... just remember, everything in moderation. You want to stay healthy.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    As long as your on track with your overall intake and macros, you should be fine. I love desert too, I just try to look for the not too bad options, so I'll have a bowl of icecream or even a piece of fruit at night usually dies the trick because it gives me that sugar kick we all crave from time to time.
  • vbennett7
    vbennett7 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Well, I think you can lose with a "calorie is a calorie is a calorie". I also think it is important to do what will keep you going and motivated in the area of weight loss. However, some foods boost your metabolism and help your health and energy more than others. For instance, I recently heard that the more sugar you eat, the weaker your immune system, which leads to being ill more often. I have been on MFP for over a year and I realized that I have not been nearly as ill as I usually am in a year's time. When I did get sick, it was much milder than before.
    Whole grains, fiber, fruits, sweet potatoes, squash, etc. are filling and so you don't eat as much of them as you might other things.
    That said, I think taking off the pounds is really important. If you can replace some of your dessert calories, slowly, with something more natural and healthier, it might be better in the long run for you.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Good for you for holding on to what's important to you. I'm a dessert person, I can totally relate. I will never give up beautiful desserts.

Me either! Although so far these workouts seem to have shifted my cravings a little. Now I'm craving steak and pudding, where before, I was just craving pudding and soda! I would love it if a few months of exercise completely altered my eating habits, for someone who used to be a vegetarian with a side of junkatarian, I sure am carnivorous lately!
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    You could eat lower cal desserts...I almost always have two weight watchers ice cream sandwiches a night (80 calories a piece) and if I am good that day, I will have a fat free fudge bar (100 cals). So on days when I have three ice creams, that is only 260 cals.

Sometimes I will just have an entire box of sugar free fat free chocolate pudding (320 calories and a lot of sodium).

Also, at work I have protein bars that actually only have about 7 grams of sugar, but have chocolate in them and fiber bars that are dark chocolate almond.

Keep in mind that I am almost always over my recommended sugar.
  • cajunlady56
    cajunlady56 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Unless the way you are eating now will be continued for the rest of your life it isn't a good idea. You are training yourself to always eat too many desserts and when you quit watching your calorie count you will be over your limit and gain your weight back. Just my two cents
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    It actually burns more calories to eat healthy foods such as whole grains and vegetables, so yes the type of calories you consume matters. That doesn't mean you can't lose weight just through cutting calories, but you are more likely to maintain it if you make healthy lifestyle changes as well. Have you tried smaller dessert portions? Or healthy versions of your favorite desserts?
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie, however your body is not going to be able to maintain weight loss in the long run if your calories are 'empty', which means they come from foods that are low in nutrients such as sugars and alcohol. To maintain weight loss, the bulk of your calories should come from whole grains, fresh veggies and fruits, and lean protein. However, there is definitely room for dessert in a healthy diet! Make sure your desserts are on the healthier side as well. Some suggestions for healthy dessert swaps are homemade brownies with nuts vs. snickers bars, low fat frozen yogurt vs. ice cream, homemade fruit and yogurt smoothies vs. milkshakes, baked goods substituted with applesauce or yogurt for oil or shortening. Another thing to keep in mind that homemade desert with be more healthy than take out and restaurant versions in most cases!
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    and not to mention the feeling you get and the nutrients you receive from eating quality, whole produce VS what you would get from desserts... think of the feeling you get, and the glow in your face, not just the number on the scale..... :)
  • namenumber
    namenumber Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses everyone! It gives me a lot to think about... I've actually cut back on the amount of dessert I eat since starting MFP (I used to just eat and eat until I felt stuffed and bloated, whether or not I was actually hungry), but I still think I could do with a little less... I'll try to eat a little more healthy food throughout the day so I have fewer leftover calories at the end of the day for dessert. I have been working out every day (cardio/30DS) and I eat back my exercise calories, but I usually eat them back in junk food in addition to the calories I save for dessert... I will have to stock up on healthier foods to snack on, like tomatoes (oh how I love whole tomatoes!!!). I've been a sugar addict for so long, and all the times I tried cutting out junk food I got cranky and ended up binging... I will keep eating dessert, but hopefully less.

OH! I just had a good idea! I usually only burn about 200-300 calories working out each day, so maybe I should only let myself eat as many "junk" calories as I burn working out! And if I want a big dessert, I'll have to work out a lot! Hmmm....