What is zig zag dieting?

Options
I just read someone mention it in their post, but not an explanation of what to do and how to figure out how many calories each day. Also, if you tried this, did it work for you? I'm trying to find a solution for plateauing...

Thanks!

Replies

• Carrie704
    Options
    My intake fluctuates based on my calories burned during exercise. I do not eat them all back but when my workouts are really intense I'll eat a few hundred more that day. It depends on you, your BMR and your goals. Just keep it healthy :)
  • BarbiNay
    BarbiNay Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If you find a way to beat that plateau let me know. I have lost to date 40 lbs. Hit that 40 and two weeks have gone by...not a single loss and up 1 - 3 lbs daily. It is just jumping back and forth. Highly frustrated.
  • Just_Bethy
    Options
    Zig Zagz are where you eat say 1600 cals for 3 days and 1200 for 4 days...or 2000 or 1 day 1500 for 3 days and 1200 for 3 days....every now and then I will do this...I make sure I average 1400 a day ...so thats 9800 for the week...Thats 1200 for three days 1350 for three ..than 2150 for 1 day..this gets me through the odd platue..works for me..occasionally..I don't do it all the time because I get lost with the numbers..lol...
  • kimbim60
    kimbim60 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    This is what I was told to do:
    Zig zag. Instead of 1400 every day alternate the week from 1200 to 1600 so it's 1400 on AVERAGE this is supposedly a plateau breaker as well.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Eat foods that are cut into zig-zag shapes. Orange bell pepper zig-zags are cute looking.
    I've yet to figure out how to cut a gallon of ice cream into a zig-zag shape, though. It melts too quickly.
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I also use zig zagging to try to get off a plateau. Basically, I vary my daily calorie intake and also vary the types and intensity of my exercise to try to shock my body/metabolism. I will increase my calories for a few days, then decrease them for a few days. Also, I sometimes like to zig zag my carbs. I've hit major plateaus three times, and this is what I did to break through.

Hope this helps!!! But whatever you do, don't give up. It will get frustrating periodically, but if you stick with it, you will lose weight and develop a healthier lifestyle. Even when you're on a plateau weight-wise, you're still burning fat, building muscle, and toning your body. At one point, I didn't lose any weight for 7 weeks. But my clothes continued to get bigger, and my strength and stamina continued to get better.