hey .. (:

Options
how has everyone lost their weight ?

i would LIKE TO lose 72lbs in 4 months i know its not recomended, it is just what i would like to do.
however; i would also like to lose at least 40-45lbs by april.

i would just like to know how you have went about losing weight, what worked, and what you did everyday (:

Replies

• lucybyrd3
    Options
    if you lose weight that fast it's going to come back just as fast. slow and steady wins the race in weight loss.
    to lose weight you have to be completely committed to a lifestyle change... you have to be ready to work out 3-4x week, 30 minutes or more for the rest of your life and you have to be ready to eat well for the rest of your life (that doesn't mean you can't ever eat cookies again, you just have to be smart about it)
    quick fixes NEVER work with weight loss
    you should stick to eating a healthy amount of calories and keeping your NET amount (calories eaten - calories worked off) above 1200.
    i've lost 94 pounds and honestly i have tried to lose weight so many times before. this is the only thing that has worked. it's taken just about a year but my body looks banging and it's totally worth it.
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    if you lose weight that fast it's going to come back just as fast. slow and steady wins the race in weight loss.
    to lose weight you have to be completely committed to a lifestyle change... you have to be ready to work out 3-4x week, 30 minutes or more for the rest of your life and you have to be ready to eat well for the rest of your life (that doesn't mean you can't ever eat cookies again, you just have to be smart about it)
    quick fixes NEVER work with weight loss
    you should stick to eating a healthy amount of calories and keeping your NET amount (calories eaten - calories worked off) above 1200.
    i've lost 94 pounds and honestly i have tried to lose weight so many times before. this is the only thing that has worked. it's taken just about a year but my body looks banging and it's totally worth it.

Agree with this. I lost about 30 lbs in the time you want to lose 70. I lost it slowly.I exercised and gradually cleaned up my diet. Slow and steady is the way to go! The weight has stayed off.
  • pocomama
    pocomama Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have lost 56 pounds in 7 months and honestly (although it seems like it is taking forever!) even that seems a bit fast for me. My first big goal of a weight loss of 82 pounds I am shooting for next April which will have me at the 1 year mark. I am not a health care professional, and I am sure there are ways to do it but I wouldnt recommend doing it so fast. I am struggling with the emotional stuff that is coming up as I continue to lose and to compound it into such a short time frame would likely send me over the edge, lol.

good luck
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    Creating a calorie deficit is the for sure way to lose weight. Don't set your goal too high, because you will become discouraged and give up. Would you rather lose the 70 pounds in a year, or never?

You could possibly attain the 40 pounds by mid-end of April, but that means creating a deficit of 1000 calories per day. It can be done!

At first you lose a bit faster...at least I did...I walk 3 miles a day, 6 days a week, and cut my calories by 1000, and lost 14 pounds the first month.

Good luck!
  • Kaylenray
    Options
    what all have you guys done ?

like working out wise .. ?
  • vger11
    vger11 Posts: 248
    Options
    gotta fuel your workout with lots of good calories, half your weight in water daily, and significant weight lifting followed by good protein. It'll work, but you can't starve yourself!

check out Mtv, "I Used to Be Fat"

check with your doc first...you're young and your body will response, but don't complicated things with short-cuts or crazy fads...
  • lucybyrd3
    Options
    i eat around 1500-1600 calories a day and i burn at least 300 from walking, doing the elliptical on like resistance eight or just running (i did my first 5k on november 5th and i'm doing another on the 3rd of december). i also do strength training 2x a week...
    when i was first starting out i just did the elliptical or the exercise bike because the treadmill and running were really hard on my joints because i was so overweight
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    A loss of 1 to 2% of your body weight max is what you should strive to lose (per week) or 1-2 lbs. Real life isn't "The Biggest Loser" imho. What do I do? I exercise an average of an hour per day or more. Mostly walking but I'm trying to increase my heart strength by running. I'm up to 40 seconds running at a time (alternate 40 seconds running / 90 seconds walking) for 30 minutes and then walk fast for another 30 minutes or more.

Eating? I strive to eat ~1300 calories and eat back most of my exercise calories. Lately I really have to watch my sodium intake because my blood pressure has gone up more than I would like.

In 4 months I have lost 22 lbs and 99% of that loss was FAT, not muscle. You want to lose fat. Losing too much at once will eat away your muscle. As others have said it will take TIME to lose the weight. Please don't try to rush it.
  • rosenh
    Options
    Hi all I lost 67 pounds in about 11 months but things are really slowing down. I have a question. R we to eat back the calories we loose during exsersize? I try not too unless I really need some food.
  • Kaylenray
    Options
    i'm not ; i just really want to lose weight before prom ): but whatever, if i dont lose all 72 & i lose 40 i'll be happy with that & get to my 72. i will take my time but at the same time i am going to push myself alot , and i would like to lose more than 2lbs/week.

so i drink 8 glasses of water /day
    2 cups of hot green tea
    walk brisk for 30 mins
    then work up to jogging & running ? *(:
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Hi all I lost 67 pounds in about 11 months but things are really slowing down. I have a question. R we to eat back the calories we loose during exsersize? I try not too unless I really need some food.

Read http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6832-eating-all-of-your-calories-bmr which is a link at the top of the Fitness/Exercise top posts.
  • pocomama
    Options
    I work out every day...well, I usually have a rest day once a week but 6 days a week I get some sort of physical activity for at least 60 minutes. I prefer 90 minutes. I am doing the c25k and I am on week 5 so I run 5 minute intervals for 15 minutes alternating with 3 minutes of walking. I push for a total of 5 miles running/walking. This works for me. I have days when I walk and run enough in addition to an exercise DVD that I can burn upwards of 1000 calories. But I strive for a minimum burn of 400 a day and I can do that in under an hour.

As far as the calorie deficit is concerned I do what works for me. I dont usually eat back my exercise calories. It isnt a philosophy or a specific plan it is just that I eat when I am hungry and drink water when I am not sure. I dont force myself to eat just to make up that deficit. I might lose faster if I did, or I might not. I dont have an opinion on that one way or the other. My net calories are generally as low as 200 on big burn exercise days or as high as 800 on low burn exercise days. I also allow myself cheat days. Thursday? I wont even be thinking about what I put in my mouth. I wont think about calories or carbs or any of that. I will enjoy my feast and on Friday morning at the crack of dawn I will be lacing up my trainers, lol.
  • rlv2680
    rlv2680 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    try shakeology and insanity
  • ewai05
    ewai05 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think these are great ways to get more activity into your routine and help lose weight:
    1. skip the elevator and take the stairs going up and down.
    2. park at the farther parking space in the parking lot
    3. skip the car and walk to the train or bus station
    4. take a break from work and go for a quick walk for lunch
    5. stretch
    6. clean your house, sweeping, mopping, dusting
    7. walk to the supermarket
    8. walk around the mall
    9. rent a workout dvd and follow the workouts. I like Leslie Sansone workout dvd
    10. wash your car yourself
    :bigsmile: :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • pocomama
    Options
    i'm not ; i just really want to lose weight before prom ): but whatever, if i dont lose all 72 & i lose 40 i'll be happy with that & get to my 72. i will take my time but at the same time i am going to push myself alot , and i would like to lose more than 2lbs/week.

so i drink 8 glasses of water /day
    2 cups of hot green tea
    walk brisk for 30 mins
    then work up to jogging & running ? *(:

I think you will be surprised when you start exercising at what it can do for your body even when the scale isnt moving as fast as you like. I am still considered obese for about 15 more pounds, but you know what? My butt and legs look awesome! seriously, lol. Take your measurements. Pay more attention to how your clothes fit than you do to the scale. And take pictures. I wish I had measured in the beginning. Dont put all of your hopes on a number. Even if you only make it halfway to your goal you will be a different person by prom if you stick with this. (((hugs)))
  • youngmum
    youngmum Posts: 114
    Options
    Good suggestions on here already for how to do it. If you want to you can. I'd suggest breaking your goal into smaller more easy to achieve goals to ensure you have the success feeling along the way and not the "I suck I'm still so far from my goal" feeling which really does not help at all, and instead leads to a lot of people giving up & never getting there. I've lost 13 kg, over 2-3 years. It can take a long time. But it is always better to take a long time to do something, then to never do it. Also I think it's better to focus on more than the weight. The way your clothes fit, your body fat %, your stamina, your running, how much you can lift, or your general energy levels, are other good things to monitor as you go. Good luck!
  • Jewels211
    Jewels211 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I lost 71 lbs in 7 months--that was about 2/3 of what I wanted to lose, so I'm saying that I had even further to go, which makes a difference. If you have a lot to lose, more tends to come off easily in the beginning. I do South Beach. If you've been eating unhealthily, like sweets, sodium-crammed junk food, soda, etc. then when you do the 2-wk phase 1, it's fairly common to lose 8-10 lbs in that time frame. I lost 13 my first go-round in that 2-wk period. (Yeah, I maintained the loss for several months but then gradually quit trying and gained back). This second time I think I lost 9 lbs. That 2 wks is eating proteins and veggies, no fruits, no grains, no sugar. Then you start adding back in the healthy grains and fruit, and eat sane servings of the proteins and at least 5-7 servings of veggies a day, plus a couple each of fruits and grains after you've eased back into them. For me, this translates to about 1,400 calories a day or so, but that depends on your weight, how much you want to lose a weeks, etc. But that's about right with the way I eat--protein every meal and at some snacks, lots of veggies, etc. I did not exercise at all the first go round. That's not recommended, but that's where I was at that time. Now, I still don't exercise enough, but at least I'm steadily losing--a little over 23 lbs in 2 months. If I'd exercise more and be a little more strict with myself (sometimes my weekends get a little heavy), I'd have lost more by now. If you really commit to exercise and eating heathily, you can lose a good bit quickly.

And what I really love with SBD is that the INCHES come off even quicker than the lbs. I've lost 3/4" off my bustline, 2 1/4" off my waist, and 3" off my hips in 2 1/2 months, and as I said, that's with little exercise.
  • madameduffay
    madameduffay Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    What I have found is that, you get these numbers in your head when you start trying to lose weight because you cannot imagine being happy with the way you look/feel until you reach that number. But, the reality (at least for me), is that, as I slowly lose weight, I am more and more happy with how I look and feel. Whereas before, when I looked in the mirror, I was always so critical. Now when I look, I see toner arms and legs, a flatter stomach, etc. I still see the problems. I've lost 20 lbs and have another 50 to go, but I'm feeling really good about it.

Anyway, my point is, try not to get too fixated on that number. Just jump in and start the process.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!