Yes, I am trying the Alternate Day Diet

Options
Everyone who knows me, knows I am a professional dieter, lol. I do know that a diet is something you go on and off but this approach seems to work best for me. I recently did the Dukan diet and loved the results. While doing the Dukan diet I read the book about the Alternate Day diet and was curious. I started it officially last week Sunday November 13, 2011. I am feeling like I can do it now. The concept is easy eat whatever one day and the next is your diet day (500 calories). It sounded insane and then I tried it and now I am on week 2. I am really loving the freedom of being able to eat whatever w/o restrictions on my "up" days. See for me it is easier to diet every other day than every day. You know especially around the holidays. I have been learning so much about weight loss since I joined MFP. Keep in mind this is coming from a 246lbs women to a 150lbs women. I joined MFP at 160lbs, it took so long to get that little bit off. I really felt like I had to work very hard to lose that small amount of weight. I am getting out more and of course there are many social events that revolve around food and drinks. With the Alternate Day Diet I can have my cake and eat it too. I must say this is not for everybody but if you are interested look into and get ALL the facts before passing judgment. I did read the entire book about 3 times and it was mentioned numerous time that this method helped cure the symptoms of asthma patients and other issues. Anyhow, I believe I will continue this over the holidays to combat the extra pounds I normally pack on around this time. Believe me I am making sure that my "down" day falls on the day before Thanksgiving so that I can enjoy myself.

Replies

• GuillaineC
    GuillaineC Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Sounds kind of like what i do. Except mine is more lie 2000 to 1200 to 1700 to 1350 to 1900 calories. I like this "calorie shifting" thing. Works for me!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I do know that a diet is something you go on and off

This is the fatal flaw in your thinking. Forget going on any sort of temporary "diet" ever again. In order to succeed long term, you need to learn how eat right period. These temporary quick fixes are the exact opposite of what you need to succeed.
  • Carrie704
    Options
    Eating 500 calories in a day is not healthy!
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    The concept is easy eat whatever one day and the next is your diet day (500 calories). It sounded insane and then I tried it and now I am on week 2. I am really loving the freedom of being able to eat whatever w/o restrictions on my "up" days.

On the eat whatever you want day, do you track on MFP and if so, what is your average calorie intake?
  • sdmcbride10
    sdmcbride10 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    yes, I track everyday, and it is usually around 1700 on my up days
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    yes, I track everyday, and it is usually around 1700 on my up days

1,700 on up day, 500 on down day for 2 weeks is average 1,100 calories/day. I'd sooner eat that every day than being overly hungry one day. For the most part it sounds balanced though and if its working for you great!
  • bagwon
    Options
    I am doing Alternate day and like the freedom of not eating as much as eating. A one day fast is not a big deal, I would call it nearer to normal in a situation where food is not for the picking 24 hours a day.

I have always felt better eating light and fasting, trouble is it's not healthy and muscle loss takes place even with extra protein. The solution for me is the alternate eating lifestyle, it's not a diet for me. And as an experienced dieter, I know when my body is shutting down and resisting weight loss, and it's not happening.

I have no blood sugar swings, so I am lucky there. I allow 500 strict on days with much of it protein, off days is 2300 (down from 2600) calories to target 2 pounds per week, and I allow a totally free Sunday with zero restrictions.

Usually I have not wanted an unlimited calorie Sunday, and have kept to 2300 on both Sat/Sun. Any foods are allowed for off days, and I have noticed an intense calorie burn and increase in energy levels off days when I carb load, carbs are the spark as they say I guess.

On days, I have so much more time, food choices are quick and minimal, and having less of a digestion load my elimination has picked up. Clearer thinking, you bet. I am unsure of any genetic longevity possibilities, that's for science to determine over time, all I know is this fits.

Hungry sometimes yes, but usually it's when I am sleeping and I only notice as I run to the fridge for a healthy start to my off day. I am not worried about not having enough calories, I have total control of that and MyfitnessPal has really made this work for me, I have even been entering my favorite recipes and IPod makes it work everywhere I go.