Shattered Dreams

Options
Just feel like crying. The summer was amazing for me, I lost about 20lbs before going back to school. Now with my busy schedule of school and laziness, I'm sure I've eaten out for the past month non-stop without lifting a finger to exercise. Now, I'm sure I've at least gained 5lbs back, and don't want to know if I've gained more. I feel like absolute crap for letting my laziness take over and allow my eating to get out of control. My goal of getting down to 180lbs by Christmas is definitely shattered now, which is really discouraging. I know I just need to find motivation to continue what I started, it's just such a long and hard process.

Replies

• shamrock75
    shamrock75 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have shared this feeling with you so many times!!! Let this be a new day. We can't go back and change what we did even 5 minutes ago, but we can decide what we are *going* to do in the next 5 minutes!!!

Transformation doesn't happen yesterday or tomorrow, Transformation happens now!
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    It's a forever process sweetie...and not all that hard, it's what you make it.
    you're so young... make good choices now.

get a plan and follow it, giving yourself room to enjoy your young life!

don't give up ever
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Pick yourself up and reset your goals. Maybe you won't reach 180 by Christmas, but you can drop 5-10 pounds (we have 5 weeks still!).

As far as school schedule & stress, I hear ya!! I am a full-time student (12 hours) plus have kids & a newborn. Talk about a tight schedule! I end up getting up an hour earlier than I would need to for class (and I even have a 30 minute commute) just to workout. I pack a lunch and try to order healthy (and watch portions and take leftovers home) when I eat out, but I track EVERYTHING. It's a lot of time management!! (And don't even ask about homework for 3 math classes + physics! lol)
    But it is possible. You can do it. You got a good start this summer and you know it's possible for you to eat right and exercise and see results. Now you just have to rededicate. Like my favorite running song says: "How bad do you want it?"
  • PedmomJill
    PedmomJill Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Your dreams are not shattered! They are just temporarily derailed. Only YOU can make the right choices. You say it's also laziness, so make time and effort to move your body. And make smart choices for food. Eating out is NOT the way to go. You can do it. The hardest parts of weight loss are commitment and patience. :happy:
  • Karen_145
    Options
    You can't change what you did; you can only change the days to come. Get back on the wagon and eat right/exercise. Don't let a bad month turn into a bad year.
  • ktw6
    ktw6 Posts: 1
    Options
    Don't give up!
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    aw :) you're okay!!

1. forgive yourself - we are only human!!
    2. start new - you can always make your next meal healthy and you can always make your next workout kick *kitten*!
    3. reset your goals. so what if you dont get to 180 by christmas...maybe you'll get close!
    4. keep on keeping on :)
    5. DONT GIVE UP!!!

xoxox
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Pick yourself up and reset your goals. Maybe you won't reach 180 by Christmas, but you can drop 5-10 pounds (we have 5 weeks still!).

As far as school schedule & stress, I hear ya!! I am a full-time student (12 hours) plus have kids & a newborn. Talk about a tight schedule! I end up getting up an hour earlier than I would need to for class (and I even have a 30 minute commute) just to workout. I pack a lunch and try to order healthy (and watch portions and take leftovers home) when I eat out, but I track EVERYTHING. It's a lot of time management!! (And don't even ask about homework for 3 math classes + physics! lol)
    But it is possible. You can do it. You got a good start this summer and you know it's possible for you to eat right and exercise and see results. Now you just have to rededicate. Like my favorite running song says: "How bad do you want it?"

I agree with this completely! (Probably because I'm in a similar situation...) But she's right! You may not reach your goal by Christmas but you can make steps toward it. Go back to the good habits you had before and you'll be on your way. Just keep at it and don't be discouraged by the calendar. The weight will come off but there's no need to set a specific timeline.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    1) You are still down by 15lb.
    2) You seem to know why you've bobbed back up by 5lb.
    3) You know what you need to do to stop gaining, then maintain, then start losing again-you've already done it once!

I sense you are placing too much blame on yourself rather than accepting responsibility. Blame, shame, telling yourself you are a failure-those are all negative responses that just evoke a sense of helplessness. That can lead to giving up and is a bad road to be on. If your friend confided in you as you have in us, would you blame her, yell at her and tell her she's worthless? I doubt you would. If you would not beat up a friend, why would you do it to yourself?

On the other hand, if you accept that you made mistakes without the recrimination you put yourself in a power position. You did it, so you can undo it. You can redress the issue without making yourself a criminal. Just accept that you won't be 180 by Christmas, but you can make a good start on that 20. Start today.

On a personal note- I've been bobbing up and down a 5lb range for the last 2 months because Life™ got in the way. I'm sure many many others have similar stories. You are not alone in this.