Heart Rate Monitor Help!

Options
So I bought a strapless HRM today at walmart for 40 bucks. I'm still kind of lost on how I should use it during my workout, but if I used it right this time, it says I burned 103 calories doing CardioX of P90X, which has to be wrong. Any ideas? I've searched the forums and can't find anyone else with this issue. I feel like I might be using it wrong...reading it wrong, I don't know!! My heart rate was between 150 and 175 for most of the 40 minutes I was working out, and the cals say 103. Am I reading the number wrong, or are the settings wrong, or should I just take it back to walmart? HELP!

Replies

• DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    That is so far off the mark I'd recommend returning it.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    the problem with the strapless one is it doesn't keep a continuous record of your heartrate like a strap does. I suggest return it as well. for a little more money you can get a strap. I had one without for a few months and as soon as I got the one with the strap, I was burning like 3 to 4 times the calories.
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I purchased a HRM with the chest strap. The gym that I go to told me that if I purchase one to only get one with the chest strap, cause without it, it's just not accurate.

12117749.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Crystals422
    Crystals422 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Return it. For $40 more you can get a Polar FT4. I love mine.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    I purchased a Sportline with chest strap at Wal-mart for all of $10 more than what you paid. Take the one you purchased back as it is useless for tracking calories and exchange it for one with a strap.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I really don't think you can get an accurate reading without a chest strap, I'm not sure how accurate using your HR to determine calories is. You have to factor in your weight and effort.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Return it and get a Polar.

The strapless ones are never accurate unless you plan on keeping your finger on the sensor the entire time.
  • From someone that sells Polar, Garmin, and the newest (best) gadget, digifit, I would tell you to get your money back. Heart rate monitors without the strap are not accurate. If you are going to spend the money, get one that works, is accurate, and reliable. If you need further guidance on which brand and model you should go for, just let me know what you want out of it and I would be happy to help!
  • Mkristinek
    Options
    I purchased a Sportline with chest strap at Wal-mart for all of $10 more than what you paid. Take the one you purchased back as it is useless for tracking calories and exchange it for one with a strap.

Got this one, and it works! Love it! Makes my life easier and takes the guessing out of all that counting! Thanks! :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options

Got this one, and it works! Love it! Makes my life easier and takes the guessing out of all that counting! Thanks! :)

You are welcome. I love my Sportline even though I know that some of the higher end Polars are even more accurate, so far I have had no problems using the calorie count off the Sportline.
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options

You are welcome. I love my Sportline even though I know that some of the higher end Polars are even more accurate, so far I have had no problems using the calorie count off the Sportline.

I tried looking it up online but didn't see one that was 50.00 do you have the model number?
  • Tommyboi682
    Tommyboi682 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Polar ft7 = owlsome!
  • glissongal
    glissongal Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I would like a monitor that ACCURATELY tracks calories burned in a workout. One that is good for all types of exercises from zumba, weight lifting, elliptical training, walking/jogging/running, etc. What monitor do you suggest?