Ravenous hunger in the afternoon

Options
2»

Replies

• RAQUELINATOVAR
    RAQUELINATOVAR Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    i was thinking of taking frozen fruit bars (like 70 calories each) because it is better than what i'm snacking on at work. i also plan to buy a food dehydrator and try that out.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I stretch my food through the day instead of eating it all at noontime for lunch.It keeps me from getting the hungries in the late afternoon, and it makes my stomach used to the idea of being happy with smaller amounts of food at one time. I have a fridge in my office at work, so I can just grab something when I'm hungry and don't feel the need to overeat for fear I won't get another chance to eat later.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    If you're eating a good amount that you think you should be satisfied, try drinking tons of water to keep your tummy full and chew some extra dessert delights gum :) That's what I do when I feel like binging on some potato chips.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be hungry when you diet correctly.
    Eat more protein in the A.M. to combat that tired feeling from carbs.
    Eat a banana later.
    Bring a bag of almonds or pistachios for healthy fats.
    Lunchtime!
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    If none of the above timing tweaks resolve your issue, it's possible you may have nutritional deficiencies - vitamins, minerals, protein/aminos, even sodium if you're aggressively restricting it. If you have these deficiencies you will crave food even though you're getting enough calories. (The cliched pregnant-woman cravings have their basis in the same phenomenon.) I know someone who compulsively ate ice (pica). It turned out that she was severely iron-deficient and a six-month obsession disappeared within hours of proper supplementation.

Pica is obviously an extreme example, but to rule out more minor issues make sure your macros are in-line with sensible minimums, take a decent multi-vitamin, and pay careful attention to eating complete proteins if you're veggie/vegan. Eat a couple grams of salt (unless a doctor has specifically told you not to already). Generally increasing the variety in your diet can't hurt, either.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    What are you eating for lunch? Try something with more protein, less simple carbohydrates. E.g. instead of a jam sandwich, consider a boiled egg, sliced meat or tin of tuna with salad. Or have a sandwich, but halve the bread and double the (healthy) filling. And try a small handful of nuts or a couple of dry oatcakes as an afternoon snack. If you are routinely buying lunch, consider bringing your own from home to make this easier. If you are at school that provides all your lunches as part of the package, this might be harder.
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    just a random thought, but wasn't there a study done some time ago about women naturally being "snacky" in the late afternoon?? Maybe it was on Oprah or something?
    Not sure and it is no excuse to stuff my face I was just trying to remember where I had heard it. I too am an afternoon snacker and I eat plenty of protein, veggies and drink lots of water but some days I just can't keep on top of the hunger! I will say that almonds are my go to snack and just a few makes a ton of difference!
    I also like vanilla greek yogurt with a tablespoon of dark chocolate chips stirred in!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    My wife and I love love love Fig Newton Thins!
    Fantastic snack!
  • amuchison
    amuchison Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Eat 6 times a day about 200-250 cal a meal that way your metabolism will speed up and your body won't be hungry...eat every 2-3 hrs as well...and go to bed 2-3 hrs after u finish your last meal;) Also drink half your body weight n water;)
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I am finding that my tablespoon of natural peanut butter and celery sticks is a completely filling awesome snack to have in the afternoon. Before I was eating a piece of fruit and I would be starving by the time work finished, and then it was hours before dinner! So annoying :)