Xbox help...Christmas ugh!

Options
couponfun
couponfun Posts: 714 Member
Hey folks...for the experts out there...

My toddler has destroyed our PS3. So we're thinking on the Xbox w/Kinect package. Now the 4 gb is the one on sale everywhere right now and on Black Friday, but now hubby (who as usual throws wrenches in everything) says that if we're getting an Xbox then he "might" want to play call of duty, etc. That would likely require the 250 gb from what I've read, and there's no sale on that plus it's about 100$ more on the regular price. So Black Friday differences is probably about $200 between sale prices and gift cards.

Those that have Xboxes - which do you have memory-wise? I hear the 4 gb is expandable using jump drives, etc, so has this worked for you?

Any advice would be great, because if he puts his foot down and we go 250 it's going to pretty much blow my budget and I can't get the stuff I need/want. TIA

Replies

• shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I've had the 4gb version for a while and only have a problem with the memory if I download a videos or a lot of other add-ons. Other than that, it has been plenty of memory for regular storage of saved games, etc. I can't speak specifically for call of duty but we use ours for Gears of War, Assassin's Creed, Modern Warfare, etc.

9114468.png
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I would always go for the bigger version so that you don't need to upgrade/have issues with the memory later.
  • mandyc1108
    mandyc1108 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If he's going to be using it like mega heavy, get the bigger one. My husband has so many games, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Modern Warfare, etc... and we also have the Kinect so my son and I have these Kinect Sports games and whatnot. The smaller one just wouldn't be enough for us. We do the whole XBOX live and I mean really get into it....LoL. Like I said, if he is going to be way into it, get the bigger one. If not the 4g should be fine.
  • djsysstem
    djsysstem Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't buy any add-ons, purchase movies, download music on it, 4Gb should be enough for many, many games. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, Battlefield 3 are big games and need to be installed on PS3, which means they require hard disk space. X-Box 360 doesn't work in that way. If you purchase Xbox 360 with Kinect, games like Zumba and Dance Central (I believe its called) and a few shooting games, it should be enough.
  • djsysstem
    Options
    Call of Duty = Modern Warfare. There's COD 1, COD 2, COD 3, COD 4, COD4: MW1, COD5, COD: MW2, COD: Black Ops, COD: MW3. Yeah, I'm a fan of the genre :)
    I've had the 4gb version for a while and only have a problem with the memory if I download a videos or a lot of other add-ons. Other than that, it has been plenty of memory for regular storage of saved games, etc. I can't speak specifically for call of duty but we use ours for Gears of War, Assassin's Creed, Modern Warfare, etc.

9114468.png
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    you can always check craigslist -- just make sure you check that you can get online before buying, as some ppl hack their consoles and then get the console banned from playing online games (then they put it on craigslist).

My ex boyfriend developed an obsession at one point with buying, selling, and modding 360s haha
  • couponfun
    couponfun Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the answers so far...I don't know that he's going to play a ton on it. He says he will but he said that with the ps3 and it was just a glorified DVD player.

I will say that he gets free jump drives at work so for those with the 4 gb have you been able to play/save your stuff easily onto jump drives? I'm thinking the 4 is too little by what you guys are saying but just all that extra money right now...I'm literally getting an ulcer right now :laugh:
  • Contrary03
    Contrary03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm about ready to throw the XBOX in the garbage! LOL I am SO tired of the arguing between my boys... and their friends. We're the only ones in our building that have "call of duty". We got the kinect for the kids last xmas~ played it only a hand full of times... bad purchase... not near as fun as expected.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    i would just get the bigger one. If you modify the xbox you void your free warranty and that always comes in handy!! Microsoft are very strict on their warranty T&C's.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    i would just get the bigger one. If you modify the xbox you void your free warranty and that always comes in handy!! Microsoft are very strict on their warranty T&C's.
  • djsysstem
    Options
    PS3 is more than a glorified DVD player, it can also play BluRay, stream Netflix, listen to music through Qriocity service. Consoles are not strictly for games anymore....
    Thanks for all the answers so far...I don't know that he's going to play a ton on it. He says he will but he said that with the ps3 and it was just a glorified DVD player.

I will say that he gets free jump drives at work so for those with the 4 gb have you been able to play/save your stuff easily onto jump drives? I'm thinking the 4 is too little by what you guys are saying but just all that extra money right now...I'm literally getting an ulcer right now :laugh: