two fruit and five veg.

Options
Do we really need it?
Is it just one of those catchy health-things to make people think a little more about what's going in their mouth, or is it really, honestly something you should do?

I ask because I know I don't eat lots of fruit, I don't really like most fruits. Interested in thoughts :)

Replies

• charm_quark
    charm_quark Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I think you need them more than you know!
    1. Vitamins and other that your body need to work correctly
    2. Fibers
    3. Carbs and sugar that it's not fattening you (the fruits)

and... I can't really help you! Because I love fruits and veggies (At least, most of them)!!!!!
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I think you need them not only are they full of healthful vits and minerals etc

but they are often low cal and so you can fill your plate and your stomach for very little calories - I usually do half a plate of veg and I have a soft fruit for breakfast with cereal and yog

have you tried smoothies with fruit if you have frozen berries and yog its almost like an icecream dessert
  • emmiexjay
    emmiexjay Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    im told just to strive for 5 a day.. i don't always do it in my fruits but i do with my veggies.. if your not a fruit fan try looking for yoghurts, soups, juices you like that have part of your five a day in (:
  • teezmom
    Options
    I think you need them not only are they full of healthful vits and minerals etc

but they are often low cal and so you can fill your plate and your stomach for very little calories - I usually do half a plate of veg and I have a soft fruit for breakfast with cereal and yog

have you tried smoothies with fruit if you have frozen berries and yog its almost like an icecream dessert
    I am not a fruit person either so I make smoothies. That;s how I get my berries and soft fruit like peaches and mangoes. everyday. I now eat all kinds of berries and other fruit. I freeze them and put them in the blender with almond milk, protein powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Otherwise I would gag on the textures. i make green smoothies with kale and spinach as well. For some, its an acquired taste. :) I just think of it as drinking to my optimum health. I am about to have one as soon as I shower and get dressed. Try it!
  • patiencez2
    patiencez2 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    if you have sugar problems only one fruit a day.
  • CassandraD82
    CassandraD82 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Do you need 2 fruit and 5 veg? Probably not. However, if you want to give your body all the weird minerals and nutrients that it would like to operate at best capacity... yeah, you need to eat whole fruit and veg.

Maybe you can get it all out of veg however.

What about berries? There's no fruit that you like?

I much prefer to eat whole food - even when I don't particularly love the taste - than take multivitamin tablets to correct a deficiency. I just see it as fuel.
  • AH2013
    AH2013 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I have my fruit in my homemade breakfast smoothie, and a low fat or fat free yoghurt throughout the day, and veg is in most of my meals (vegetarian) but you could make soups maybe with little oil or no oil for your veg intake? Just an idea! :smile:
  • jilld76
    jilld76 Posts: 324
    Options
    I don't take multivitamins because they make me sick, so for me, it's important for me to eat lots of fruits and veggies with good nutrients to keep me healthy.

But believe me there are day when I barely get any fruits or veggies, just keep working at it!

I honestly love most fruits & veggies, so I don't mind eating them, but if you don't like them, maybe you just need to find what you do like and stick to that.
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    What about berries? There's no fruit that you like?
    Berries are the most evil of all the fruit!! Eck. Sure, I LIKE Berries, but I can never trust them, I always seem to pick the sour ones. :laugh:

I do like bananas, apples and melons... but on the whole fruit and I just don't go together - I DO love vegies, though.
  • JPDad
    JPDad Posts: 147
    Options
    Two fruit and 5 vegetables seems low to me. Food guide shows 8-13.
  • gem_angel
    Options
    Fruit and veggies are important for vitamins and filling like others said. adding fruit to smoothies is the easiest way to do it, 1 cup frozen fruit is 2 servings. i buy the dole tropical blend in the freezer isle and it is wonderful in a smoothie! i also like to freeze a cut up banana for a few hours or overnight, then blend it into ice cream.

vegetables are a huge part of my diet because i'm vegetarian, but my favorite is spaghetti squash. it can be used many ways, my favorite is as hash browns. i just mix 1 cup squash (2 vegetable servings) with 1/4 cup low fat mexican cheese and 1/4 cup southwestern egg beaters and cook on the griddle kind of like a pancake. great with breakfast or lunch.