Slim Fast?

Options
Has anyone found slim fast to actually be legit when trying to loose weight?

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    No.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Not really. I just use it to make sure I get enough nutrients and calories when I don't feel like eating. I think if you are actually hungry and like food you wouldn't be very happy with it.
  • JoyBellz
    JoyBellz Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I haven't used it for the purpose of losing weight, but just as an easy breakfast option. I tend not to eat breakfast and this is one thing I have found that I can do so I get something to jump start my metabolism in the morning rather than waiting hours until lunch to eat.
  • stephelan
    Options
    I lost about 15 pounds in a little less than a month when I did it. It was kind of a jumpstart into my diet but in NO way permanent and definitely not the healthiest or most satisfying way to lose way.
  • chadsouth
    Options
    I tried them but found them not able to be sustainable. I changed to using Advocare products and have now lost 108 lbs and have maintained 100lb weight loss now for 1 year! They have a sustainable lifestyle nutrition system. It is fantastic!
  • Rosepetals11
    Rosepetals11 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about trying them out but I was a little on the questioning side. I think if I do try them it would be mostly for breakfast because I'm not much of a morning person and I need a little extra kick in the morning. Haha, my motto is usually if I can manage to sleep until noon that validates skipping breakfast. :P
  • TrishaLeighNelson
    TrishaLeighNelson Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Never, to me it's a waste of calories. Along with protien bars and shakes. My day mostly consists triple stacker 200 calorie sandwhiches, grilled chicken, veggies, and a VERY delicious salad that I make. Sometimes I mix it up, but that's my usual.

And I'm with ya about the noon thing, but I consider it my breakfast. I try to eat 5-7 200-300 calorie meals a day. It makes it a lot easier and it doesn't make it seem like you're starving yourself. I'm full all day
  • 1FitBabe
    1FitBabe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I tried it but then they had that big recall cus the drinks had some sort of bacteria in them. YUCK! Not drinking those again.
  • ELIsMamaG
    Options
    I have been over weight my entire life and I have tried slim fast several times with no success. You would be better off to find a really healthy protein shake recipe and make your own shake.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm sugar.
  • Rosepetals11
    Options
    Well, that settles that then. lol.
  • Rosepetals11
    Options
    Well, that being said... Anyone know of a good protein shake recipe?
  • TrishaLeighNelson
    TrishaLeighNelson Posts: 258 Member
    Options

Your best bet is to start a new thread on this one. There are LOTS of guys, and of course women that have awesome recipies
  • VlPassionlV
    Options
    As well as others who have posted, I too have lost about 15 lbs just on Slim Fast. But of course, I didn't do it the healthy way and replaced pretty much all my meals with the shake, along with running my community every other day. It was quick, which was what I wanted, but definitely not long term.

According to my trainer and what she uses, I've tried taking her advice for the time being. On top of my daily exercise, and healthy eating, I also replace 1 meal with a protein shake called Pro 7 Synthesis (Vanilla). It's actually quite good, low in fat, and low in calories with about 150cals per serving (1 scoop). Of course if you need to make up for those missing calories, you can always mix your shake with another beverage you'd enjoy it with instead, other than just water.

Hope this helps!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I lost weight on slim-fast. I actually started a group here for people who have or are thinking about trying it out free from rude comments.
  • miliser
    miliser Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    i lost 15kg on it. felt amazing. had it 2 shake meals a day with a serve of steamed vegies or fruit and a lean meal for dinner. until one day i realised what chewing was again lol put all the weight on again and now am doing it the only way that works diet and excercise. you will loose weight on it! but the question is will you keep it off???
  • honeyb7
    Options

I bought the "Premier Nutrition" High protein (30g) low fat and low sugar (1g) 160 calories per 11.5 oz drink and found that if in hurry this was a good option. However, I never do it on a daily basis. I much prefer food over a drink. However, the nights I had to work late through dinner it helped to drink this rather than being hungry and going home late and risk overeating because I was so hungry.
  • missamielou
    Options
    I tend to have a slim fast shake for lunch with some fruit and veg or a yogurt. It's less calories than a sandwich and does fill you up and sometimes I hate the stodgy feeling I get after eating a sandwich. The only reason I think it would aid in weight loss is as it is so low in calories. The shakes are tasty though, banana is my favourite :smile:
  • MrsBlobs
    MrsBlobs Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I gave it a good go, but 1) I missed real food and 2) It made me extremely moody!!

I'm fairly certain that the amount of sugar in them puts you on a bit of a glucose roller-coaster. I just felt soooooo grumpy. Not worth it. I would rather eat something proper but small than drink something that gives me the grumps....and a headache if you forget to drink properly (fibre in it can be dehydrating).
  • fionamac77
    fionamac77 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Slim Fast is full of sugar! You could try the Maxitone products - better than any other supplement I've tried. Sculptress does have carbs in it, but not loads, but also has green tea and CLA boost metabolism, good for morning time to keep you full and with lots of energy. I tend to have Definity shake later on in the day particularly after training to get the protein I need for recovery without all the extra carbs at the end of day (and more importantly without the caffeine that's in Sculptress - I do want to sleep!!). As with most of these things it's entirely up to you and different things work for different people.

Best of luck whatever you do xx