Peanut Butter brands - HELP!

Options
Ok, since there are lots of PB junkies here, hopefully you can help me!

My hubby loves it (not me, I can't stand it) but he's an american living in the UK and doesn't get on with the stuff we have here (not smooth enough, apparently) so he bulk buys pots of Jif every few months. I have no problems with this as I know that as snacks go it's pretty good for him, but yesterday I was having a look and found out it has hydrogenated fats in it, which (if I understand right) should be avoided if at all possible. (Note - I don't have a problem with eating them every now and then, but he eats a LOT of PB!)

What big brands of american PB does everyone eat? (Or are there any UK brands that are creamy and buttery and smooth?) They have to be big brands as they're the ones we're most able to import, but if there are any that are 'more healthy' than Jif, I'd really appreciate knowing!!

Please help!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• WeighAhead
    WeighAhead Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    The bees knees, it's made with palm oil - no trans fat but high in saturated fat, similar to cheese.
  • rcrews4
    rcrews4 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hey - We love using Smucker's Natural, it is soooo good. Ingredient list: Peanuts, Contains 1% or less of salt. That's it! Yummy! No trans fat but it does have other natural good fats.
  • aurie024
    aurie024 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    jif all natural is made with palm oil. It tastes just like the regular jif
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK and eat the Wholearth Peanut Butter...no added sugar. Some might find it a bit dry though...i love it!
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I grind my PB in Whole Foods. I am sure there is a supermarket in the UK similar to WF
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I use Simply Jiff which is made with peanuts,salt, palm oil and sugar.

Tastes really good and is very smooth and creamy.
  • indnile321
    indnile321 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm a Skippy Natural girl myself! (Love, Love, Love my peanut butter!)
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    my mom uses Skippy Natural, but I'm pretty sure that still has sugar in it.
    I am obsessed with Teddy Super Chunky Unsalted PB...It's just peanuts and so effing delicious.
  • niknak0508
    niknak0508 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter CO is an all natural peanut butter, they have a lot of flavors to choose from too.
  • jenniferhiggins
    jenniferhiggins Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    All natural peanut butter is better for you. is the the best. Also if you are worried about portion control Jig has the peanut butter to go in the little containers portioned out for you.

Also I saw this. though I am not sure how it would taste.

http://www.amazon.com/Walden-Farms-Peanut-Calorie-Free-12-Ounce/dp/B000X1Q1G8
  • Jmaust
    Options
    There is 1 called Naturally More peanut butter, very low in carbs and fat. The only place i've found it so far is Giant Eagle (PA).
  • merryfaith
    merryfaith Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've heard good things about PB2 (it's a powder, and when adding water it does compress so it's better to use to flavor than to make a paste for peanut butter) and Better'n Peanut Butter is apparently a good substitute for things that actually need the peanut butter texture.

I know a lot of the healthy/natural ones use palm oil, but there are environmental//sustainability issues well as human right issues surrounding palm oil so I'm going to try to avoid it at least.
  • Ruby11222
    Options
    I love Kraft Light Crunchy!!! I tried Sanitarium Natural but it was so oily it made a huge mess, and tasted gross.