Foods high in Protein/Fiber

Options
I am looking for foods for lunch and/or dinner that are high in Protein/Fiber, but low in carbs. I'm new to this and trying to get some ideas of what I should and shouldn't be eating.

Tell me what you eat for lunch and/or dinner?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    edamame is pretty much like a little pill made out of protein and fiber.
    I like the convenient little steamer bags of it.
  • dgkoz
    dgkoz Posts: 5
    Options
    Why are you looking for foods low in carbs? Carbs are the first thing your body looks for to use as fuel. Just don't over dose on them.
  • soriondee5
    soriondee5 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I second this. Besides fresh, there is dry roasted edamame in regular and wasabi flavors by Seapoint Farms.
  • oreolover
    oreolover Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I like salads with chicken, tuna, beef etc. I don't use dressing (took time and slowly reducing it, now I don't even like it) so I can have extra meat and also allow myself roasted eggplant/avacado or whatever in place of dressing. So good!
  • soriondee5
    Options
    I got my undergrad in Nutrition in I am very much against low carb diets. Instead of denying yourself of all carbs, change the type of carb that you consume. When people think of carbs they think of grain-type products like bread and pasta. For these products, you want to look for the grain as close to its natural state as possible, ie not refined. This means you will have to start reading food labels and looking at the ingredients list! Look for the words "whole wheat" and "whole grain." Plain "wheat" means nothing. Ingredients are listed in order of prominence in the food item, so this should be one of the first things on the list. You can google the benefits of whole grains, but they are typically full of fiber, which is what you are looking for. I'd stay away from "double fiber" and "added fiber" products because they're just adding extra stuff in. If you like white bread, try a "whole grain white" product. If you love pasta, start with a blended product, or combine different types. It's kind of hard to dive right into whole wheat pasta if you've never had it! There are also pastas on the market made with "ancient" and other type grains you could try. By no means do you have to restrict yourself to only whole grains, but they should make up the majority of carbs that you do consume. I'm a firm believer of "everything in moderation."

Carbs are also in fruits, vegetables, and legumes. You really can't escape them unless you live on meat and dairy! Legumes are fantastic, beans and lentils are full of fiber and protein. With fruits and vegetables, fresh or frozen is best as far as nutrition is concerned.

Have you tried quinoa (keen-wah)? It's a pseudo-grain that is high in fiber and protein and very versatile in dishes. You can make it sweet or savory, have it any meal of the day as either a main dish or on the side, served hot or cold.
  • soriondee5
    Options
    I make a lot of vegetable omelets with egg whites (and sometimes a yoke, they have goods stuff in them!) for dinner. I toss in canned beans, tuna, leftover meat, cheese, whatever protein source I have laying around. Frozen stir fry vegetables are great for this! Sometimes salsa, whatever spices I'm feeling. A quick, easy, delicious dinner for a poor starving graduate student =)