Is 1200 calories enough?

Options
Hi there,

I'm kinda new for the 2nd time around but I have been following MFP originally for around 9 months.

After reading MANY a topic and blog I am thinking.. is 1200 calories enough for me?

I do light exercise (40 mins of walking a day) I am 5'1 and weigh around 12 stone and a dress size 14

HELP!

Nikki xxx

Replies

• Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I'm 1 inch taller than you and weigh about 3.7 stone less, if my pound-to-stone calculations are correct. My activity level is about the same and I've been aiming for 1200 calories a day. So yes, it's definitely enough calories, assuming you have a sedentary lifestyle. Of course, if you don't feel like it's enough you can always bump it up a little and still lose weight-- it will just happen at a slower rate.
  • mir7x
    mir7x Posts: 11
    Options
    i think 1200 is the minimum for women
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat only 1200 cals. When you exercise you get to eat those back, so if you burn 300 cals working out you get to eat 1500 (1200+300).

Another option you could do is change your weekly weight loss goal to 1lb or 0.5lbs/week. This will give you more cals, but you are still supposed to eat the extra cals doing it this way too.
  • bett_boop
    bett_boop Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking the opposite - it seems quite a lot for me, being short (im 5 3') means I'll loose weight much slower than someone who eats 1200 and is 5 inches taller than me.
  • MunchkinHawk12
    MunchkinHawk12 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I am 5'0" and I weigh the same as you. I personally make my minimum goal at 1400 calories. I workout everyday so 1200 is definitely not enough for me. Good luck on your journey and feel free to add me if you'd like. Support is always motivating!

Laura
  • jennajosephine
    jennajosephine Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    what is a stone?
  • doornumber03
    doornumber03 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't aim for anything under 1200 calories.....that would be a bare minimum.
  • dianeellen2
    dianeellen2 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    When i started on MFP (about 2 months ago) it recommended 1200 calories (i am 5'5" tall and weighed 15 stone 4lb)

I found it very difficult so put it up to 1400 myself - i lost steadily at about 2lb a week

Abuot 3 weeks ago i dropped it to 1300 calories and i am sill loosing at a steady pace

In a few weeks i may drop to 1200 calories again - but if its too dificult to start with then up it and see what happens

Diane
  • thinkingthingirl
    thinkingthingirl Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    what is a stone?

a stone is 14lb
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I do eat 1200 calories but never for more than 2 weeks and I eat 50% of my cals as protein because I do not want to lose muscle mass(then I bump it up to 1500 cals) . If you do not have alot to lose, your deficit has to be really small.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    what is a stone?

1 stone=14 lbs. I finally looked it up after seeing it used so many times by our friends on the other side of the pond. :)
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" too and I simply can't exist on 1200 calories and won't even try. In fact, my BMR is 1279 --- that's what I need just to live even if I stayed in bed all the time. MFP set mine on 1238. I went to healthstrategy.com and used their calculators. They gave me a number of choices. Mine is set on a bit over 1400. Now, I seldom eat that much. I simply don't want to. For example, yesterday I only ate a bit over 1200. But, that's rare. I usually eat around 1300 or a bit more. I lose weight but slowly. Much slower than some people here. But, I feel a slow weight loss is healthier and will remain with me. You have to go with a plan you can stay with the rest of your life. Few people can or will live on 1200 calories their entire lifetime.

They'll stay on it long enough to lose their weight, perhaps. Then, once lost, they'll revert to their normal eating and put it all back plus some.

Short answer, in my opinion it's not enough. But it is your call no matter what any of us say.
  • thetiwi1890
    thetiwi1890 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm 5'6", 9 1/2 stone (134lbs) and I'm eating 1,350-1,500 NET calories (i.e. if I burn 300 cals, I eat 1,650-1,850 cals).
    I was eating 1,200 to begin with, and I lost 10 lbs really quickly, but my body entered starvation mode, I was cold a lot of the time and I found it extremely hard to lose any more weight. I'd start and aim for around 1,350 NET calories and then bump it up by 100 calories whenever you feel comfy. But it's a personal choice!

Hope this helps
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    I do eat 1200 calories but never for more than 2 weeks and I eat 50% of my cals as protein because I do not want to lose muscle mass(then I bump it up to 1500 cals) . If you do not have alot to lose, your deficit has to be really small.

Are you eating enough? Are you eating your exersise calories?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

Go to the tools section and figure out your BMI:

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle building, and reducing fat. This means it is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode).

This is just a part of it! please read the link above
  • tdfarmer
    tdfarmer Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I HAVMFP FOR ABOUT 2 E BEEN TRYING TO LOOSE WEIGHT FOR 4 WEEKS NOW. I HAVE BEEN SINGED UP FOR ABOUT 2 WEEKS. I LOST 2 LBS BEFORE I STARTED. I HAVE LOST 4 LBS SINCE I STARTED. I AM 1200 CAL. SOME DAYS I DO A LITTLE OVER, SOME DAYS A LITTLE UNDER. I WALK 2 MILES ON TREADMILL AT 4 MPH OR WALK BRISK 3.5 MPH A DAY, WHICH I MISSED THE LAST 2 DAYS. I WEIGH EVERY DAY, WHICH I KNOW IS NOT RECOMMENDED. ACCATIONALLY I SHOW A GAIN WHICH I DO NOT LET IT GET ME DOWN. 1200 IS GENERALLY ENOUGH. IF I STILL FEEL HUNGRY , I DRINK MORE WATER. EXERCISE ALSO ALLOWS ME TO GAIN MORE CALORIES. I NEED SOME SUPPORT TO KEEP ME ON TRACK.
  • chedges9090
    chedges9090 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I started on 1200 calories.. and have 35 pounds to lose. Is 1200 enough? Yes, if you don't excercise that day.. 1200 is enough. Remember, 1200 calories is a "goal" during the weight loss phase. IF you excercise, log your excercise calories.. and EAT them :) It is motivating to say.. "I really want to have an apple for snack.. and if I walk around the block a few times, I will have burned enough calories and will stay under/at my goal."

I don't intend to be at 1200 calories forever, and actually I don't think that MFP will keep me there ( I have elected, for now, to stay there). I have many days that I can't get the excercise in-- and I stay at 1200 calories, or pretty durn close. Again-- that's the goal... to watch your intake. Watch your exertion. Make sure that they are balancing out. We haven't been "balancing"-- that's usually the issue (pointing at myself). That is the lifestyle change that MFP is trying to promote. Have a great day!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

Are you eating enough? Are you eating your exersise calories?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

Go to the tools section and figure out your BMI:

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle building, and reducing fat. This means it is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode).

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Me? I sure do LOL. I am doing strenght training (very heavy strenght training) and I am in a fat cutting phase. High protein and low carbs but never for more than 2 weeks. First, my muscle mass is very important for me and I can only deal with 1200 calories if I know it is for a short time. I am 4'11''
  • SugarHighAbbie
    Options
    In all honesty I find around 1200 calories enough for the day. I may sometimes eat 1300 if I've done exercise, but I never go to bed starving.
    I could definitely eat more, not because of hunger but because of boredom/ something to do with my hands/ comfort/ cravings, and sometimes I will. If I fancy a pizza I'll go buy one, but I'll spend the rest of the week being good and sticking at 1200.
    I'm 5'3 and weigh 136lbs so we're not that much different.

If you're struggling then eat more, just ensure what you're eating isn't sat.fat and sugar. Losing weight shouldn't be depressing and depriving your fave foods. It's taken me almost a year but I've lost 17lbs and I don't exercise much (walking everyday, and maybe a Zumba class once a week), it's just a slow process!
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options