confusion with using my HRM

Options
OK, so I bought the HRM (polar ft 4), but still am so confused

My life, Monday-Friday, involves spending most of my waking hours inf ront of a computer with a few hours in front of the TV. .a very sedentary life. . Weekends are often another story. . I am usually up at 4-5, on the road by 5-6, to be at various dog events from 8 in the Am to 2-5 PM. . .most of those hours are spent on my feet, walking dogs, and it's not a manicured flat surface I'm walking on, fighting dogs as I walk them to the starting line, (they want to go NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW), pushing dogs into the starting box, etc, etc. I put on the HRM this weekend, and it seemed SOOO far off. . .This weekend for the two days:
3.5hrs and burned 1194 calories??? (average HR 122, maximum 144)
4.75 hrs, 1391 calories?? avg 113, with a maximum of 152

I am out of shape, I am asthmatic, so maybe it's true but it just seems like it's a lot

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    HRM are meant for when you are actively exercising, not for wearing through the day. Also remember for those 4 hours or so you would be burning your BMR calories whether you were doing anything or not. If you want total day calorie counting get a Bodymedia fit or a Body Bugg.

As for the number being high. Looking at those heart rates they are rather high. I only see heart rates like that when I am working out or working fairly hard at something physical, and I would easily burn that many calories in 4 hours of doing that sort of physical labor.
  • oswaldbowser
    oswaldbowser Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    HRM ARE MENT TO MEASURE YOUR HEART RATE....... THE CALORIE COUNTER IS JUST A ADD ON GIMMICK !

If you really want to measure your calories burnt all day you need to buy the Ki fit or Boddybug as it is known in the u.s.a
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    As for the number being high. Looking at those heart rates they are rather high. I only see heart rates like that when I am working out or working fairly hard at something physical, and I would easily burn that many calories in 4 hours of doing that sort of physical labor.

ROFL, well as I was typing them, I was thinking guess it is a lot of work. . .I wish I could afford a body bugg, that ain't happen unfortunately. . I know i'm exhausted when I go home. ..
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I will often get my heart rate well into the 140's and 150's when walking.

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm Not knowing how much you weigh, but plugging in 180 (forgive me if I'm way off; I'm just taking a stab) and your age, it says the average HR for 210 minutes would burn 1340. Looks like it's possible... if the numbers are accurate.

Do you have a chest strap? Did you check your HRM periodically to make sure it wasn't getting wonky? I will check mine when I'm just driving to get my kids if I still have it on, and it will sometimes read some crazy number like 210. I'll do the touch sensor, and it'll be 60-something and then reset. I'd probably shave off a few hundred and then use it if it were me...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    That seems about right for that amount of time.

But, yes, you use the HRM while actually exercising, not for regular, normal activity.

I'm sure you burn a lot of calories doing the dog events, but I'm not sure it's a good thing to use an HRM for. I'm not sure I would. I might just figure it was a bonus.

I walked three hours last Thursday evening (and ran 1.2 miles in the process) and burned not quite 1,100. I'm in pretty good shape (resting HR just shy of athlete level) and weigh 150.
  • mielikkibz
    Options
    well, that sucks, part of why I bought the HRm was to try and help figure out how many calories I do on weekends. .
    https://mystore.24hourfitness.com/product_details.php?item=400005797552&pf_id=400005797552

is this the entire bodybugg thing? great price if it is
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    That is the armband part and that is a great deal! You would still have to pay for the monthly subscription though. I do believe that they give you the first 3 months free.

I have a Bodymedia armband and love it.

Best of luck!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If you're moving that whole time, then the HRM is probably pretty accurate and it's OK to use. But if you're sitting, moving, sitting, moving, that's another story.
  • mielikkibz
    Options
    looking at the fitbit, which has the subscription for free. . .darnit, just bought this HRM LOL