Running at Night During the Winter Months

Hi all

I started running last January (2010) mainly in the evenings, anything from 1 mile to 5k on the road, around residential estates, main roads and the like. I thought nothing of this...

Well.. I stopped doing that when the weather got warmer and I hit the air conditioned gym instead

Anyway.. this year i took up road running very briefly over the summer months, running at around 5.30-6pm for about an hour or so, but i kept over heating so sacked it off!

I now want to take up road running again in the evenings around the same time I now go to the gym, which is at about 7:00pm just so i can get into a routine. Gym Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and/or Sunday. I want to run Monday and Wednesday's (or Saturday/Sunday if I have them off the gym - these i can do in daylight as i wont be working)

I just don't feel confident enough to run at night alone anymore. I don't fell as though i'm going to get attacked or run over or murdered, but i dont feel comfortable at the idea of it...

So ... help me please! Help me DO IT!

Replies

• lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    I run in the mornings before the sun is up. It really is the only time of the day I can do it and I love it. I bought a handheld pepper spray for my runs, I wear reflective clothing and I have an arm band that lights up. There will always be the risk that something could happen, but I can't think like that. I just have to get out, do my run and hope for the best.

You can get out there. All you need to do is put on your running clothes and get out there. Don't think, just do.
  • AliKK
    AliKK Posts: 11
    Try seeing if someone will run with you! Find a buddy. It doesn't even have to be someone you know currently...you can always find people willing to run on craigslist (or if you don't have that, some other online forum), or the Running Room website for your area. It will be safer, plus it will keep you accountable and motivated!