Fruit/Veggie Fun Facts

Options
What fruit and vegetable facts do you know?? I'm creating a document to share w/my dieting friends at church and thought it would be fun to do fruit/veggie facts. When I'm done, I'll post it on here also!

Replies

• beckystephens
    beckystephens Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    The fiber in fruits offset the any negatives from the sugar content. So dont worry about fruit sugar if u eat the real fruit. The same doesnt go for fruit juices. Eat the fruit not the juice.
  • trixylewis
    trixylewis Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    bump
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Fruit causes me to go over my MFP sugar allotment. True story.
  • dashnigma
    dashnigma Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Actually a fruit, it took a ruling by the Supreme Court in 1893 to make the tomato a vegetable.

A tomato used to be called a "love apple" because it was once thought to be an aphrodisiac.

In French, potato is "la pomme de terre" or "apple of the earth".

Avocados were once referred to as alligator pears.
  • dashnigma
    Options
    Maybe not helpful-but all I have in my head at the moment.
  • VanessaFaith
    VanessaFaith Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Actually a fruit, it took a ruling by the Supreme Court in 1893 to make the tomato a vegetable.

A tomato used to be called a "love apple" because it was once thought to be an aphrodisiac.

Interesting! Helpful or not, it's still interesting facts :-) Thanks!
  • trishlambert
    trishlambert Posts: 213 Member
    Options

I love it! Just the kind of info that comes in handy at holiday cocktail parties!!!! Laugh
  • VanessaFaith
    Options
    The fiber in fruits offset the any negatives from the sugar content. So dont worry about fruit sugar if u eat the real fruit. The same doesnt go for fruit juices. Eat the fruit not the juice.

You taught me something new! Thanks!
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options

I learned something new today! cool!
  • afwg1979
    afwg1979 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Research MERCOLA.COM for their fruit and veggie lists; the fruits are listed from the lowest sugar content to the highest sugar content (you'll be extremely surprised!). The veggies are listed from the lowest carbs to the highest carbs (again, you'll be surprised!). These lists are now my guide when I choose my fruits and veggies.

Also on Dr. Mercola's website is a list of the "Dirty Dozen" and "Clean 15" -- you can download this list via FOODNEWS.ORG which offers a colorful pocket-size reference to put in your purse. I laminated mine and use it when choosing my produce. (I've almost got this memorized.)

Knowledge is power; Sharing is caring . . .
  • VanessaFaith
    Options
    Research MERCOLA.COM for their fruit and veggie lists; the fruits are listed from the lowest sugar content to the highest sugar content (you'll be extremely surprised!). The veggies are listed from the lowest carbs to the highest carbs (again, you'll be surprised!). These lists are now my guide when I choose my fruits and veggies.

Also on Dr. Mercola's website is a list of the "Dirty Dozen" and "Clean 15" -- you can download this list via FOODNEWS.ORG which offers a colorful pocket-size reference to put in your purse. I laminated mine and use it when choosing my produce. (I've almost got this memorized.)

Knowledge is power; Sharing is caring . . .

Great! Thanks!!
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Here's what Wikipedia says about strawberries (I already knew this but couldn't think of how to say it):

The strawberry is, in technical terms, an aggregate accessory fruit, meaning that the fleshy part is derived not from the plant's ovaries but from the "receptacle" that holds the ovaries.[3] Each apparent "seed" (achene) on the outside of the fruit is actually one of the ovaries of the flower, with a seed inside it.[3] In both culinary and botanical terms, the entire structure is called a "fruit".[3]
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Consuming cherries helps reduce inflammation. It can help with gout and othe forms of arthritis. I think.
  • afwg1979
    afwg1979 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Fruit causes me to go over my MFP sugar allotment. True story.

True that! I'm finding it extremely difficult to stay within my recommended daily allotments* re: fruits and vegetables (which I try to keep to a minimum) . . . sigh.

*Being prediabetic, Dr. Joseph Mercola recommends that I need to restrict my sugars to 15 per day -- no can do, I say.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Here's what Wikipedia says about strawberries (I already knew this but couldn't think of how to say it):

The strawberry is, in technical terms, an aggregate accessory fruit, meaning that the fleshy part is derived not from the plant's ovaries but from the "receptacle" that holds the ovaries.[3] Each apparent "seed" (achene) on the outside of the fruit is actually one of the ovaries of the flower, with a seed inside it.[3] In both culinary and botanical terms, the entire structure is called a "fruit".[3]

Which is why tomatoes are actually fruits... from a biological standpoint.
  • VanessaFaith
    Options
    Here are some that I have...
    >>Razor+Peach=Nectarine.
    >>Watermelon is not a fruit... it is part of the gourd family... it is not part of the melon family... it is the state vegetable of Oklahoma.
    >>Pears are highest in fiber... 4.4-5.5 grams per pear, depending on size.
    >>Blackberries/Raspberries are 2nd highest in fiber... 4 grams per serving.
    >>Strawberries are the only fruit with their seeds on the outside... averaging 200 seeds per strawberry.
    >>Top 10 nutritious fruits... 1.California Avocado, 2.Papaya, 3.Guava, 4.Cantaloupe, 5.Orange, 6.Apricots (dried, unsulfured), 7.Mango, 8.Strawberries (organic), 9.Kiwi, 10.Grapefruit (pink or red).
    >>Eating a banana can cheer you up! Bananas are the only fruit to contain the amino acid, tryptophan plus Vitamin B6, which together help the body produce serotonin –the natural chemical which alleviates mental depression (it’s also found in Prozac).
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    FRUIT FACT !!!!!!!!!! Celery makes your Va-JAY JAY taste good as does Pineapple for both male and female

Sorry thats the only fruit fact I know !!
  • dashnigma
    Options
    FRUIT FACT !!!!!!!!!! Celery makes your Va-JAY JAY taste good as does Pineapple for both male and female

Sorry thats the only fruit fact I know !!

Oh my...
  • Cleo200
    Cleo200 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    US congress ruled this week that pizza is actually a vegetable.................... pfffffffftttt!!! bwaaa haaa haaa!

http://www.firstnews.co.uk/news/pizza-is-a-vegetable-says-us-congress-i6522
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Blueberries:
    Maine produces 25% of all lowbush blueberries in North America, making it the largest producer in the world. The Maine crop requires about 50,000 beehives for pollination, with most of the hives being trucked in from other states for that purpose.

And they contain antioxidants which are good for you :)