Marrying my HRM?

I have only had it for 2 days and already im in love!

My heart reat monitor is fantastic, it beeps at me when im running so I maintain my target heart rate, and I find that Im so much more motivated to keep up the pace now that I have it and can actually calculate my burn acurately :)

Just thought I would gush :D

Replies

• carolina_r
    carolina_r Posts: 359 Member
    What one did you get? I'm looking to get one too :)
  • cbu23
    cbu23 Posts: 280 Member
    Which one do you have? I'm really thinking about getting and any recommendations would be great! Thank you!
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Haha, that's awesome! Glad you like it! :smile:

Should my boyfriend be worried? I'm 99.9% sure he bought me one for Christmas.

It's just sitting there, under the Christmas tree (yes, I already have my tree up), wrapped up...waiting for me...so tempting!! :laugh:

What kind did you get, btw?
  • SandraM329
    SandraM329 Posts: 6 Member
    Don't get the Polar RS100, unless you want to track running. I got that for my kickboxing and weight training work outs and it beeps continuously. (Usually because my heart rate is above target). I can't silence the thing...no matter what I do. Not exactly great for Yoga either. :-)
  • I have a 'Polar FT4F' (ITS PINK!)

Cost my mother (she bought it for me as a gift for reaching my first weight loss goal) about $120 (AUSTRALIAN DOLLARS).

Its awesome!! I cant believe ive never used one before!!

HIghly recommended!

(Also, I am now noticing that MFP GREATLY overestimates calories burned during excercise...so this is alot more accurate :)
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    I have a polar FT7 and love it. You use it to track exercise and pair it with MFP's BMR estimate and it's money well spent.

I burn around 2400 a day for just basic living according to MFP, then I strap on my Polar at the gym and it says I burn around 700 per workout. So I eat ~500-1000 (average 750) and so far the calculations are adding up perfectly to 1.5 pounds or so a week.
  • I'm in love with my HRM also. My daughter bought it for me for my birthday at the end of September and we are inseparable!! :)

I have a Polar FT7!! For me, I found that MFP was way underestimating my calories burned...go figure!!
  • liftingbro
    I'm in love with my HRM also. My daughter bought it for me for my birthday at the end of September and we are inseparable!! :)

I have a Polar FT7!! For me, I found that MFP was way underestimating my calories burned...go figure!!

Yes, for exercise it was underestimating mine as well. For Normal Daily Activity, it's pretty spot on though.
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Careful! HRM are not good for estimating weight training work outs!

( I was surprised to find this out and thought it was important)

http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=75
  • I still ike wearing my HRM during my weight training as it gives me a good gauge of how hard I am pushing myself - especially during circuit training (as mentioned in the SP article). If I know I am using heavier weights or keeping my rests low between sets, it keeps my heart rate up, which usually means a better burn....

Good article though - was not aware of that!
  • I have a 'Polar FT4F' (ITS PINK!)

Cost my mother (she bought it for me as a gift for reaching my first weight loss goal) about $120 (AUSTRALIAN DOLLARS).

HIghly recommended!

(Also, I am now noticing that MFP GREATLY overestimates calories burned during excercise...so this is alot more accurate :)
    Polar FT4, That is the one I have on my Christmnas list! Glad to hear you are enjoying your new toy!
  • liftingbro

Logic in that is suspect given that if anything a HRM will underestimate calorie burn for weight lifting. If you are lifting with proper intensity, it should be fine and in fact has been working great for me.
  • curbnoise
    curbnoise Posts: 37 Member
    Don't get the Polar RS100, unless you want to track running. I got that for my kickboxing and weight training work outs and it beeps continuously. (Usually because my heart rate is above target). I can't silence the thing...no matter what I do. Not exactly great for Yoga either. :-)

I have the Polar RS100 as well and you can make the beeping stop. Just turn off limits when you are not worried about staying in the "zone" as follows.

Settings->Limits->Off.

It will still track you heart rate high/low/average, calculate calories and fat% the same as when you are using OwnZone/Age/Manual limits. It will just stop beeping at you!
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member

Logic in that is suspect given that if anything a HRM will underestimate calorie burn for weight lifting. If you are lifting with proper intensity, it should be fine and in fact has been working great for me.

How is that a given?

I know I've read it other places too, like here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/hrms-cannot-count-calories-during-strength-training-17698

If it's not true, then great! I would be really happy about that but I've only read things saying it is (even though they're not the most official things). Any resources that say something else?
  • liftingbro

How is that a given?

I know I've read it other places too, like here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/hrms-cannot-count-calories-during-strength-training-17698

If it's not true, then great! I would be really happy about that but I've only read things saying it is (even though they're not the most official things). Any resources that say something else?

Again that post is flawed.

Here's why. Heart rate IS an indicator of how hard you are working during lifting. You burn more calories activating muscle in a lift than you do during cardio of the same duration. If you do set that takes 30 seconds and compare what you burn to what you burn for 30 seconds of walking or jogging, lifting will burn more. The more muscles you activate the more you burn, period. Most cardio exercises do not activate as much muscle as a squat does. Not to mention that with lifting you burn addition calories for about 48hrs post exercise VS a few hours for typical cardio. Not only that but the inensity of the lifting determines how much extra you burn post exercise.

Where it is right is that it's not as accurate as it is for cardio because cardio burn is almost completely contained during the time of exercise. It is right that if you are lifting girly weights and not lifting with proper intensity you will probably have more problems with accuracy.

Like I said, I wear my HRM for cardio and lifting and eat according to the burn and MFP calculation and it's darn near spot on. IME, and a few others that have been monitoring lifting with HRMS, it IS pretty close. I think the reason it works is that while you may be overestimating how much you burn during the exercise, you are also underestimating the residual burn over the the next 48hrs and it seems to even out.
  • Hi everyone. I want to first say that I work for Polar. Its great to read so much great feedback about the FT4 and FT7. Glad its helping people achieve their workouts.

I am really writing about the strength training issue and heart rate that I have been reading. It is true that the affect of heart rate for strength training is different then for cardio. When strength training, you will see your heart rate go up because your muscles are recruiting more blood to complete the lift. So the heart pumps to send more out. This is different than a true cardio exercise where your breathing and energy requirements are elevated and in need of more calories to burn.

However, if you are inclined to do more of a circuit type of training, you will get a more closer calorie affect. For example, all my workouts are based on a 2 exercise group superset, followed by 50-75 jumps with a jump rope. When I do higher reps, I can actually tax my breathing and energy system more than if I did just a static lift. Then when I throw in the jump roping, I start up my cardio affect and feel better about using some of the calorie numbers that I see. Not to mention its a great workout. Blend between strength and size and burning away some of the fat and toning. Something many trainers with traditional thinking say cannot be done...but believe me it can.

Hope that helps explain.
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    I have the polar FT40 and I love it - it breaks my workouts into % of fat burning level and tells you how long you have been in either fitness or fat burning zone.

As I wanted to see how my average heart rate was today for the cardio compared to the weights part of my workout - I stopped the watch and made a new recording for the weights part. I had wanted to burn 500 cals today so once I had done my half hour weights I recorded the next cardio session. The cardio sessions showed my max hr as 178 & 179 and the weights it was 165. I just love that I my watch does all this for me. The calories overall for the cardio was 419 in 70 mins and only 160 for the 30 mins of weights.

These figures will seem low as I am 44 and its only my second week at the gym, I haven't been for nearly 18 months and I carry quite a bit of weight - but hopefully you get the gist - I don't see the weights as part of my calorie burn, they are more about shaping and toning, the cardio is to build up my lung capacity, stamina and general fitness levels - It would be really hard for me to work it all out without my watch.
  • mmocarr
    mmocarr Posts: 108 Member
    bump
  • Was about to google HRM :)) but now I know what an HRM means;)
    I don't have one, willl look up something on line to see if I can find a deal. I am the only one in my family that needs to lose weight. I will buy for myself this Christmas, or give a hint my DH
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    I have a 'Polar FT4F' (ITS PINK!)

HIghly recommended!

That's the one I'm 99.9% sure he got me, too!! Also pink! I'm excited. :happy: