Worried...

Options
I've been reading all these stories online of people with hypothyroidism who, despite dieting and exercise, cannot seem to lose weight and only gain. I'm really worried now that I'm not going to be able to shift anything, only get bigger. Does anyone on here have any experience with this? Or know anyone who has been able to lose weight with an underactive thyroid? Any advice is much appreciated...

Replies

• greatdaneaddict
    greatdaneaddict Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yep, me. I've had hypothyroidism for most of my adult life. Once I stopped making excuses and starting actively exercising and eating healthier, weight has been dropping. I'm down 42 lbs in 5 months.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Did you ask your Doctor? He should have recommendations that would help. :drinker:
  • superrjo
    superrjo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Yep, me. I've had hypothyroidism for most of my adult life. Once I stopped making excuses and starting actively exercising and eating healthier, weight has been dropping. I'm down 42 lbs in 5 months.
    Oh really? That makes me feel a lot better! I was diagnosed when I was 13. How much levothyroxine are you on? I go to the gym about 4 times a week and walk a few miles every day, and I'm watching my calorie intake very carefully
  • ckilby21
    ckilby21 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I battle the same thing, however once I started taking my medicine first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and not eating for an hour it seems to help. Another thing I have changed is waiting 4 hours before taking my supplements, the Doctors never tell you this, but you should wait 3-4 hours before taking supplements after taking thyroid medicine. Hope this helps and good luck.
  • superrjo
    Options
    Did you ask your Doctor? He should have recommendations that would help. :drinker:

Nah I've not asked my doctor yet, I didnt realise how much it would affect my weight.. Ive just had some more bloods done because ive been feeling really run down again and so I'm due to go back on Friday, so I'll definately bring it up!
  • chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 262 Member
    Options

X2. I was diagnosed with my thyroid condition, and had it killed and take thyroid replacement meds, and was told losing weight would be difficult. Earlier in the year, I lost close to 30lbs in three months. Exercised 6 days a week and watched what I ate! Its possible and you can show everyone Doctors dont know everything and they cant put a limit on what you can and cant do!!!!
  • superrjo
    Options
    I battle the same thing, however once I started taking my medicine first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and not eating for an hour it seems to help. Another thing I have changed is waiting 4 hours before taking my supplements, the Doctors never tell you this, but you should wait 3-4 hours before taking supplements after taking thyroid medicine. Hope this helps and good luck.

Yeah, I do take it first thing each morning :) supplements.. like vitamins? thanks I'll bear that in mind :) I'm constantly on antibiotics, will that affect it ?
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism, I started losing weight a year ago. My thyroid went for a few years with out being diagnosed and I have a long road to come but I can tell you that I have not gained any weight since I started actively working on losing it. It can be tough but if you are reallly trying you should see succeess - there are quite a few people on here with it that have lost a good amount of weight. I would talk to your Dr. they may have some ideas to help you find that the weight is not coming off.
  • greatdaneaddict
    Options
    Oh really? That makes me feel a lot better! I was diagnosed when I was 13. How much levothyroxine are you on? I go to the gym about 4 times a week and walk a few miles every day, and I'm watching my calorie intake very carefully

I was diagnosed when I was 19 (now 33). I haven't been on Synthroid (Levo) in a really long time. I never felt good even when my TSH was in the normal range. I switched to Armour thyroid years ago, then had problems getting that, and now have it compounded for me at a compounding pharmacy. So glad I have a doctor that works with me and keeps my TSH at 2.0 or lower. I feel great and would never switch back to Levo. But everyone is different, and some do really well on Levo.
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed 10 years ago & am on 100mcg Levothyroxine daily. Weight has yo-yo'd. Joined MFP in January......lost 21lbs and am maintaining at goal of 130. It's hard, but not impossible.....

Sue :smile: x
  • superrjo
    Options
    I was diagnosed 10 years ago & am on 100mcg Levothyroxine daily. Weight has yo-yo'd. Joined MFP in January......lost 21lbs and am maintaining at goal of 130. It's hard, but not impossible.....

Sue :smile: x

It sounds like being on here's really gonna help me :) I think my levo might need adjusted but hopefully then things'll get a little easier. I'm motivated and determined to lose the weight so hopefully that'll be enough!
  • greatdaneaddict
    Options
    It sounds like being on here's really gonna help me :) I think my levo might need adjusted but hopefully then things'll get a little easier. I'm motivated and determined to lose the weight so hopefully that'll be enough!

All you need is determination! Good luck!
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I had a complete thyroidectomy in 2006. My weight has fluctuated, but only once due to medication/body changes. The rest was up to me!
    I agree with above posters that Armour thyroid works better, and I had to go to a third doctor to finally get it!
    I was 206 at my heaviest (which was also after an inexplicable TSH jump after I quit smoking) and now have been maintaining and slowly losing near my first goal --down 27 lbs since June!
    You can do it!
  • superrjo
    Options
    Thank you everybody, I'm feeling a lot lot lot better !!
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Yes, and have lost weight anyway. Don't be afraid to try! You can do it!
  • fireballaaa
    fireballaaa Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi, I also have this underactive thyroid. but you can lose weight with it, you do need to keep track of your thyroid numbers and keep it in the normal range. While I'm on a diet my doctor regularly check my tsh with blood with and as you slim down could possible lower your need for thyroid medicine.
    I hope this helps.

Last year I lost 65 pounds- but gained most of it back because I was under a lot of pressure from my husband. but right now things are going better and I have lost 31 pounds since 09/27/2011.

Main thing don't give up.
  • joshanti81
    joshanti81 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    yes i have I'm on .137 mcg. When I was diagnosed my levels were so low my Dr. could not believe they were so low he said the only other time he has experienced a patient with levels so low was with a 87 year old man. I've been on it for 10 years now started dieting and exercising last year ( took a 4 month break in between to take care of my dying grandmother) and despite the fact i thought i would never lose weight I have, also I have been diagnosed with Pcos for the last 5 years which also causes weight gain so I am proof along with the other posters above it can be done! Add me as a friend if you like.