Sick but need to exercise...

Options
I have been sick the last few days with a severe cold or sinus infection. I put off my cardio workout yesterday and just walked. If I do cardio today (even though I am still feeling bad) will it make me feel better or should I take it easy?

Replies

• kleimola
    kleimola Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have been sick the last few days with a severe cold or sinus infection. I put off my cardio workout yesterday and just walked. If I do cardio today (even though I am still feeling bad) will it make me feel better or should I take it easy?
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Take it easy. Your first priority is to get better.
  • heather93277
    Options
    Yup, you're better off taking the time to get well than to get sicker and be off your feet even longer... feel better soon!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Jerid1330
    Options
    I’m having the same problem.

It's been my experience, that extra stress on your body when you are sick slows your recovery time.
    Of course everybody is different, but I have just been taking it easy.
    I'd rather not prolong my cold if I can help it.
  • kleimola
    Options
    Thank you. Maybe I will just call the doctor and try to get in to see him.
  • 1harleygal
    1harleygal Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: You should not excercise while sick because excercising will take what remaining strength you have to get well and by doing that it will prolong your recover time!:flowerforyou:
  • koneill
    koneill Posts: 26
    Options
    I have the same problem but I called in sick today and I want to excercise! I'm thinking maybe all the endorphins will make me feel better and make my cold shorter. I guess if that's not the case maybe I'll just walk. :grumble:
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I think this depends on how sick you are.

My experience has been that if I work out when I start getting sick I often avoid the worst of the cold and get better much quicker. In fact since I started working out I hardly ever get sick. But if you are already quite sick and drained of energy I agree that you should rest.

Feel better:flowerforyou:
  • kleimola
    Options
    thanks everyone. I have an appointment to go to dr today so I am going to just take it easy.
  • kleimola
    Options
    So as it turns out I have pneumonia so it looks like I am off thsi whole week from my fitness program. At least I am still loosing weight. Hope I can get back on track next week.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    if you're sick you need to concentrate on getting better. a walk in the fresh air would be alright but I'd stay away from anything heavy duty until you feel better.

*edit* yuck! pneumonia!! take it easy and get well soon! that stinks! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: