HRM, TDEE, etc.

Options
I just got a hrm today, and I'm trying to figure out how to use it. It won't stop beeping! I'm not sure if there is a way to turn the whole thing off or not.

Anyway.. since my activity level is set to sedentary, would it make sense to wear it while I do laundry & stuff and log those calories burned? Would they be accurate? I read something on here about subtracting tdee cals from that, but I don't really understand it. Can anyone offer any advice?

Replies

• merrick7871
    Options
    I wish I knew as i have wondered about the calories myself.
  • inspiration345
    inspiration345 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to get the beeps off because mine didn't beep. Yes you can use it for all activities that involve movement. It does drain the batteries fast. When you do some activity for say 60 minutes you can subtract between 1-2 cals per minute off the burn you got because if you did nothing you would still be burning 1-2 cals a minute depending on your size and that is accounted for in the sedentary mode. Hope that helped.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    The calculations built into a HRM aren't really accurate for daily activity, just cardio exercises. If you want something that will give you your TDEE you should look into a BodyBugg or FitBit. They're designed to be worn around the clock.
  • kandire
    Options
    I've read several places that wearing the monitor while not doing things that will bring your heart rate up may not give you a very accurate reading. I've never tried it though and I've stopped logging my cleaning unless I'm doing some serious 6 hour scrubbing my floors with a toothbrush type of cleaning. It's up to you though!
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    My HRM had a setting for beeps, either on or off. Mine is a Polar F4.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    The calculations built into a HRM aren't really accurate for daily activity, just cardio exercises. If you want something that will give you your TDEE you should look into a BodyBugg or FitBit. They're designed to be worn around the clock.

This. An HRM only accurately measures calories burned when the heart rate is elevated to at least 125-130. When it's below that it won't be useful. My HRM specifically states that in the manual.

If you want a daily caloric burn something you want one of four devices, a BodyMedia Fit, a BodyBugg, a FitBit or a Jawbone UP. Each is slightly different, but basically they track your movement and daily activity without using your heart rate at all.

As for turning off your HRMs beeps, there's likely a place for that in the settings, check your manual for instructions specific to your HRM. :)
  • futiledevices
    futiledevices Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I did turn the beeping off already, but it was still beeping. I figured out that it stops after a few minutes because it's no longer looking for a heart rate. and I won't be purchasing a body bugg etc. because they are far too expensive.
  • kaf330
    kaf330 Posts: 61
    Options
    My HRM will beep if I go under 116 or over 150. it does this to let me know if i need to move faster or slow down based on the information i set (ie height, age, weight)
  • futiledevices
    futiledevices Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    My HRM will beep if I go under 116 or over 150. it does this to let me know if i need to move faster or slow down based on the information i set (ie height, age, weight)

Ohh, I see. Maybe it's beeping because I'm too high. I'm usually around 160 when I'm working out.. interesting! Not sure what the highest I should go is, but that could be it for me, too.