Options
Does it work?
What are your results? :]

If you don't know what zumba is,heres a video :youtube.com/watch?v=wMiLKEtRF-k

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It's intense cardio, so of course it works.

It's fun, too.
  • zml_mom
    zml_mom Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I go several times a week and I love it
  • kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba - is great cardio and a lot of fun. I, however, can't say for sure whether or not it works - while I love Zumba my knees don't. To make an educated guess I would say it does - one lady wore a bug during the hour work out and burned about 800 per class.
  • JoJo_fat2fab
    JoJo_fat2fab Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Zumba, It was my ONLY workout for 3 months until I started TurboJam to change it up a little, I lost 20 pounds with Zumba and eating healthy(er)
  • sarajmitch79
    Options
    I have it on my Wii, still not comfortable enough to do it with others in the room but have reached the point that I actually enjoy working out to it, completely understand that whole zumba rush that people talk about!
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Love it. Do the dvds at home. Pretty great workout and fun. Definitely try it out.
  • dragonfly1178
    dragonfly1178 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've only been to one class so far, second class is tonight. It is so much fun it doesn't even feel like a workout. Be ready to sweat your butt off!
  • Bajankat
    Bajankat Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba. I'm relatively new to it though but hooked. On Saturday I did a 2hr Master Zumba class and completed the entire class. Try it and see what happens. The owner of the Zumba class I go to as well as her nephew both lost alot of weight doing it.
  • Makethefatcry12
    Makethefatcry12 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I compiled a playlist on my youtube by 2 different groups. It is about 48 mins long and kicks my butt lol One girl that leads her class has workouts that mostly just focus on your core. Its awesome!
  • peripah
    peripah Posts: 120
    Options
    I tried out a class 2 weeks ago with a friend. The regular attendees really seemed to enjoy it and the instructor was very nice, but we decided it's not for us. I'm not terribly co-ordinated and my knees were in rough shape after.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    SUPER SUPER fun! I l love it. I especially love how tired my core feels after the class.

I will say for any of you who are very heavy out there like me... you may want to be careful, there's a lot of very fast pivoting and twisting to the sides which can be very hard on the knees when you're trying to hoist around 300+ pounds. My knees were killing me so I had to modify to do some of the twisting moves to be straight ahead instead of to the sides. It helped a lot and there isn't a difference in intensity.
  • walkinmydoxies
    Options
    Love zuma!!! So much fun...doesn't feel like you're working out. I'm always dripping sweat when I'm done. I try to do 3 times per week, unless class cancels for some reason. I've lost weight, but sure it would be more if I paid more attention to the foods I eat. The dvd's a great also as they walk you thru each zumba step prior to starting workout. Most instructors allow one free class. Try a few see where you feel most comfortable and what fits your schedule. Go to zumba.com to find a class near you. Good luck!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I did Zumba for 6 months and loved it. Schedule issues stopped me going but plan to start again soon.

For those who mentioned it being hard on their knees, you can modify the moves that bother your knees. My instructor used to tell everyone just to do what you are comfortable doing, and you would see many people in the class not doing all of the moves. Or look for Zumba Gold class. Those are lower impact.
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I teach Zumba. It's a lot of fun and a good workout, but I think you need to do other things in addition to Zumba to work your entire body.
  • chrissi_k
    chrissi_k Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My friend and I did go to Zumba just twice yet, but we had so much fun. The first time we were standing there trying to follow the instructions and we looked really ridiculous. I can't move my legs, arms, shoulders and butt at the same time like the instructor does, but you know. Nobody cared, everybody had fun and I have to say I never laughed so much while working out :)
  • ojell
    ojell Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    OMG! I LOVE ZUMBA! A friend of mine lost over 100lbs with it. She's now an instructor and has been in the commercials for it!

It's so much fun! I haven't done it in a while.

Now I personally think you need to try a few different instructors...they're not all created equal in my opinion. You have to find one you love. I LOVE my lady, but she moved her classes farther away from me, so I stopped going. It's just too hard and I have to take my kids with me all the time. They don't always mind, but then they do. Kwim?
  • hhorncastle
    hhorncastle Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I tried out a class 2 weeks ago with a friend. The regular attendees really seemed to enjoy it and the instructor was very nice, but we decided it's not for us. I'm not terribly co-ordinated and my knees were in rough shape after.

We may be in the minority, but I'm with peripah. I tried the Zumba DVD in my living room and I didn't even make it through the instruction part. I like to dance and thought this would be fun but I had trouble following the moves, it killed my knees and I felt like an idiot. I've been told it's a much different experience to take it in a class setting, with a good instructor and a group of other people stumbling around with you. :smile:
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I tried Zumba once.. and left on the 3rd track!! LOL.. i just am not coordinated enough to do it. I worry too much if I'm doing the moves right that I dont have fun. LOL
  • zwayny
    Options
    A friend of mine joined zumba classes a few months ago. She loved it and she said she lost 4 pounds within 2 months.
    My knees were not in a good shape so I didn't take the classes. If you have strong knees, you will probable enjoy it, especially, if you love dancing too :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    The first couple of classes I could not do the arm movements at all, I was so focused on trying to get the feet right. But they are repetitive and you will pick it up. Here is a tip,if the instructor is facing you and you have a hard time learning the moves "backwards", I recommend stand in the back and watch the people in front of you to follow along.

I also recommend trying it for a couple of weeks because after you learn the songs you can really concentrate on targeting the different muscle groups. When you are still learning you are just focused on trying to keep up and sort of doing the right move but once you know, you can work it more.