Runner's World Holiday Challenge

Options
So I saw on Runner's Worlds website that they have set up a holiday challenge called RW Holiday Running Streak 2011. Details are in the article http://trainingdaily.runnersworld.com/2011/11/17/announcing-the-inaugural-rw-holiday-running-streak/. Basically the challenge runs (ha ha) from Thanksgiving to New Year's Day. All you need to do is pledge to run at least one mile everyday during that time. So who's interested?

Replies

• Fabnover40Kat
    Fabnover40Kat Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Salinat
    Options
    IM IN
  • jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Just curious, but does that mean if you run 4 days in a seven day week and do 12 miles that counts as at least 1 mile per day? Do they look at the total days from Thanksgiving to New Years and expect that many miles total over the time period?
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I saw that on their facebook page and considered it - but their regular RW challenge there's a charge to do it. Are you considering just doing it on your own with MFP people, or are you actually talking about signing up with RW to do this challenge? Do they charge to do the Holiday Challenge?
  • Felicia714
    Felicia714 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm in! This sounds fun!
  • fitrunnermd
    Options
    I saw that on their facebook page and considered it - but their regular RW challenge there's a charge to do it. Are you considering just doing it on your own with MFP people, or are you actually talking about signing up with RW to do this challenge? Do they charge to do the Holiday Challenge?

From what I saw there was no charge but I was just thinking about on my own with other MFP folks.
  • fitrunnermd
    Options
    Just curious, but does that mean if you run 4 days in a seven day week and do 12 miles that counts as at least 1 mile per day? Do they look at the total days from Thanksgiving to New Years and expect that many miles total over the time period?

I think the challenge is more about getting at least a little running in everyday more so that racking up the miles. If you can do both that's great.. Personally I plan on doing my regular mileage on my regular run days and then on my weight training days finish up those workouts with a quick one mile run on the treadmill.
  • Athena413
    Options

From what I saw there was no charge but I was just thinking about on my own with other MFP folks.

I really did think about doing it - but I'll be doing half marathon training during that time and wasn't sure how it would affect that...you're not really supposed to run every single day when you're training for something like that, but it's only 1 mile...not like it would really take that long, anyway.

If you put together some sort of challenge on here, I'll probably do it. :smile:
  • fitrunnermd
    Options

I really did think about doing it - but I'll be doing half marathon training during that time and wasn't sure how it would affect that...you're not really supposed to run every single day when you're training for something like that, but it's only 1 mile...not like it would really take that long, anyway.

If you put together some sort of challenge on here, I'll probably do it. :smile:

I'm going to be training for a half marathon too. I figured 1 mile on my non-run days wouldn't be too much so I'm willing to give it a shot. :smile:
  • josterhaus
    Options
    I'm up for it!!! Let me know if you plan on just doing a group for MFPers!!! :)
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Sounds fun I'll have to check out the info thanks for sharing!
  • Athena413
    Options
    If you want - I can make a google spreadsheet for us to log our miles on each day...let me know what you think! I'm up for it!!
  • fitrunnermd
    Options
    bump
  • fitrunnermd
    Options
    If you want - I can make a google spreadsheet for us to log our miles on each day...let me know what you think! I'm up for it!!

That would be great. :smile:
  • Athena413
    Options
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApGWjN0Yz2hfdGpBa3NCbG82dkNycWx2VEh3TndPTXc&hl=en_US#gid=0

Here it is!

All you have to do is copy and paste the link in to your browser, add your name, then log your daily miles under the appropriate day's column starting Thursday!
  • fitrunnermd
    Options
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApGWjN0Yz2hfdGpBa3NCbG82dkNycWx2VEh3TndPTXc&hl=en_US#gid=0

Here it is!

All you have to do is copy and paste the link in to your browser, add your name, then log your daily miles under the appropriate day's column starting Thursday!

Thank you!! :flowerforyou:
  • abbiez
    abbiez Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm in ! :) I dont know if i can run a full mile but im going to try !
  • fitrunnermd
    Options
    Hi All.

Thanks to jrdoty8986 we have a spreadsheet to record all our mileage https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApGWjN0Yz2hfdGpBa3NCbG82dkNycWx2VEh3TndPTXc&hl=en_US#gid=0

Right now it looks like we have fitrunnermd, jrdoty8986, josterhaus, Felicia714, and salinat. If any one else wants to join us in this challenge please drop a note by Thanksgiving since that is when we will begin tracking. Remember all is needed is at least 1 mile each day between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day. That's atleast 38 miles. I know we can do it! :smile: I will probably start a new thread on Thanksgiving to keep track of our running streak.
  • fitrunnermd
    Options
    I'm in ! :) I dont know if i can run a full mile but im going to try !

If you want to do a combination run/walk, that would be ok too.
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    okay