How did you chose your starting weight?

Options
I am debating on changing my starting weight on here - thoughts, please! I weighed 243 October 2010 when I first got pregnant; I weighed 249 June 2011 when I delivered; I weighed 235 July 2011 when I started MFP. Which weight is "fair" for me to use as my starting weight? How did YOU chose your starting weight???

Replies

• Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Starting weight when starting MFP= Your weight on the day you start MFP.
  • LiL_MisS_C
    LiL_MisS_C Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I logged my starting weight as the weight I was when I first started weighing myself, which was November 1st. :)
  • curlyclo
    curlyclo Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    My heaviest weight and weight on the day I started are the same, so it wasn't an issue for me. I would say use the weight you were the day you started, because if you were pregnant that shouldn't count against you!
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    My starting weight was the weight I was when I first started MFP. :happy:
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I logged my starting weight as the weight I was when I first started weighing myself, which was November 1st. :)

Agree
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Having started at my highest weight ever by joining MFP when I realized I was going the wrong way on the scales.... I'd want to pick my highest weight even if it wasn't my weight on the starting day to reflect how far I've come
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really matter because the final goal is the same regardless of where you chose to start. Personally, I'd go with whatever weight I was at when I started MFP.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I did mine as MFP starting weight which is lower than my highest ever weight.
  • GTaylor615
    GTaylor615 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I used the weight on my last doctor visit (July-2011) as my starting weight.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count pregnancy as my starting weight. I'd say my weight was whatever it was when I began actively trying to lose weight. After giving birth, your breasts are full, your uterus is still stretched out and it's not fair to count that against yourself. It's a natural part of pregnancy.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    In my opinion it doesn't matter what's fair as long as you are seeing progress afterward.
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Starting weight when starting MFP= Your weight on the day you start MFP.

of course THIS!
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I chose my highest weight after pregnancy, though I did list on my profile my highest pregnancy weight. It was only a difference of about 6 lbs though.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I use my highest weight. I want to show how far I've come to other people and to constantly remind myself of that fact.
    MFP may not have been there for the whole journey but it certainly has helped.
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    I put in the weight I was when I began to lose. I lost 9 pounds on another program before switching to MFP, so I wanted that to be shown on my ticker. I worked for it...it's nice to see the total. :)

I would put in whatever weight you were when you began seriously TRYING to lose. No matter what program you were on, or what the date was.
  • dadoffo
    dadoffo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I started MFP when I was 154 lbs. But I was already on a diet/exercise plan when I was 161 lbs. So I used 161 as my start weight.
  • RonneyKay
    RonneyKay Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    When I first started MFP I had been to the doc a couple weeks previous, I couldn't remember my weight so I just used a guess. I was wrong... So when I went back to the doc I got that weight and then I came and reentered my starting weight to what that was. Because that is the day I started to do something about my weight.

Its been about a month now and I've lost 14 lbs;) not too shabby! Now that I am exercising, I imagine I will lose more, and quicker. By my 19th wedding anniversary in May, I am hoping to fit into a size 14. I think I can do this. :)
  • MereMe
    MereMe Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I definantly don't plan to use my pregnancy weight - but have considered using my pre-pregnancy weight because I never lost the weight after my other 2 kiddos were born. Once I had my son, I decided this lifestyle change was happening and found MFP about a month later....

Really appreciate y'all's thoughts. My current ticker reflects since I started MFP... not including the 8# I lost just before... hmm - keep those opinions coming, please! :wink:
  • LuisHmfp
    Options
    Weight the day I decided to start losing weight. That was two weeks before I started using MFP, but I think it gives me a better feel for how far I've come. I agree, however, that where you were is not as important as where you are headed.

10253311.png
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I chose what my weight was on the first day I joined here. I came and joined on Aug 8, 2010 and I weighed 242lbs that morning. I had been thinking about it for about a week before that but something just clicked and that was IT for me!!!

I would start with what you are/were when you started here, some other weight 5/6 months or a year or more ago is not your starting weight, the weight you weigh now (or when starting) is the STARTING weight for THIS journey.