How to lose 15 pounds before Christmas

Options
Hey everyone...I'm seeking to lose 15 calories before Christmas cause my doctor told me I was over weight and needed to lose 15 pounds to be healthy.....I currently weigh 118 and I'm 4'6..The doctor said I need to be around 102....Any advice??

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    my advice is not to put such a tough time line on your loss. Since you only have 15lbs to lose you should not set your goal to lose more than 0.5lbs/week. So it should take 5-6 months to lose that much weight given the amount you have to lose.

here is a guide to safe weekly weight loss goals:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Don't put a timeline on it. Change your lifestyle to eat a healthy balanced diet. Implement a calorie deficit. Make exercise part of your life. When you do that, your whole life will change for the better. You will be fitter and feel better. Weight loss will be a side effect. Don't about about losing X lbs by some date.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    set a more realistic goal! 15 lbs is too much in a month, much less being the holiday season when you are most likely going to eat more. just track eveyrthing you eat and move more and put that in and maybe try to lose 5 lbs this next month. my trainer said my goal for the holiday season should be to maintain and not gain!
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Try a Paleo/Primal diet....
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    yea, it shouldnt be a quick thing... I'm 4'11 -- maybe shorter bc of my disability and I am currently 106.7 lbs and I started at 143.3 lbs 2 yrs ago... BAD and it took me from then to now to lose the weight I have so far and I'm not done yet. I want to lose 6.7 lbs before February 2012 -- my 3rd yr anniversary of this journey :D
  • djwhinery
    djwhinery Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose 15 lbs by 12/16, which is when I'm having a surgery that requires me to get to an ideal weight, within reason. Although I'll still be 15lbs away from my target, I'm still trying to obtain this one goal in the next month.

I'm drinking protein powder mixed with water for breakfast and taking a appetite suppressant then for lunch I'm having salad with boiled chicken, vegetables and a low cal or fat free dressing. I am eating fruit but I'm told this just turns to sugar and to stay away from bananas, watermelon or other high sugary fruits.
    For dinner I'm having a frozen meal, like Healthy Choise or Lean Cuisine.

I work out daily alternating between strength training and cardio and make sure I have plenty of healthy snacks throughout the day so my body doesn't go into starvation mode.

I've never done anything this extreme, so time will tell if it works or not.
  • AndreaLynn18
    Options
    yea, it shouldnt be a quick thing... I'm 4'11 -- maybe shorter bc of my disability and I am currently 106.7 lbs and I started at 143.3 lbs 2 yrs ago... BAD and it took me from then to now to lose the weight I have so far and I'm not done yet. I want to lose 6.7 lbs before February 2012 -- my 3rd yr anniversary of this journey :D

Yeah My sister use to weigh 147, but she's 5'6...Now she's down to 133 and still thinks shes fat...I don't what to do with that girl...
  • AndreaLynn18
    Options
    I'm trying to lose 15 lbs by 12/16, which is when I'm having a surgery that requires me to get to an ideal weight, within reason. Although I'll still be 15lbs away from my target, I'm still trying to obtain this one goal in the next month.

I'm drinking protein powder mixed with water for breakfast and taking a appetite suppressant then for lunch I'm having salad with boiled chicken, vegetables and a low cal or fat free dressing. I am eating fruit but I'm told this just turns to sugar and to stay away from bananas, watermelon or other high sugary fruits.
    For dinner I'm having a frozen meal, like Healthy Choise or Lean Cuisine.

I work out daily alternating between strength training and cardio and make sure I have plenty of healthy snacks throughout the day so my body doesn't go into starvation mode.

How many pounds have you lose so far?
  • AndreaLynn18
    Options
    set a more realistic goal! 15 lbs is too much in a month, much less being the holiday season when you are most likely going to eat more. just track eveyrthing you eat and move more and put that in and maybe try to lose 5 lbs this next month. my trainer said my goal for the holiday season should be to maintain and not gain!

I usually try not to eat much during the Holiday's...
  • photo_kyla
    photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    my advice is not to put such a tough time line on your loss. Since you only have 15lbs to lose you should not set your goal to lose more than 0.5lbs/week. So it should take 5-6 months to lose that much weight given the amount you have to lose.

Just out of curiosity, where are these goals from? This is the first I've seen recommendations laid out like this. :smile:
  • BethanyAnn14
    Options
    Hey everyone...I'm seeking to lose 15 calories before Christmas cause my doctor told me I was over weight and needed to lose 15 pounds to be healthy.....I currently weigh 118 and I'm 4'6..The doctor said I need to be around 102....Any advice??

easiest way to lose that much in that short of a time frame... cut off a limb. beyond that, don't put a set date on when you want to have the weight gone by and just take it slow. the slower you go, the less likely the weight will creep back.

Yeah I disagree sis
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Just out of curiosity, where are these goals from? This is the first I've seen recommendations laid out like this. :smile:

It is loosely based on ideal goals based on BMI as posted by Banks. The chart assumes your goal weight is in the healthy weight range of the BMI scale. If you goal is still above the healthy weight range you could probably scale it so each weekly goal is 0.5lbs more than I have posted.

The reason for it is that if your deficit is too large and you don't have a lot to lose you will lose a large % of lean muscle, not just the fat you are looking at losing. The above combined with strength training and adequate protein will help ensure that the majority of your weight loss will be from fat.
  • 0RESET0
    0RESET0 Posts: 128
    Options

For dinner I'm having a frozen meal, like Healthy Choice or Lean Cuisine.

Check the sodium on those frozen dinners. Alot of sodium will cause you to retain water. It isn't too bad if you are sweating it out regularly but you might want to keep an eye on it. Try some steam fresh vegetables and some grilled/baked fish for dinner. that should keep you around 300 cal and be much better for you. Get plenty of fiber to clean your self out too. No need for supplements, just eat stuff that has fiber in it.
    As for the fruit, fruit is digested in the intestines. If you eat it with other types of foods, it gets held up in the stomach and the sugars are not treated properly. This causes the sugar spikes and the subsequent insulin swings.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    as a few people have said - 15 lbs in that short of a timeframe is not healthy. did your doctor give a timeframe?
    I would hope (and think) not. Go slow and steady - start exercising a bit, keep your calorie count accurate on MFP, and don't make HUGE changes - it works. With that little amount of weight to lose, you risk losing more muscle along with fat if you go over 1lb/week (and preferably 0.5lb)
  • BethanyAnn14
    Options
    as a few people have said - 15 lbs in that short of a timeframe is not healthy. did your doctor give a timeframe?
    I would hope (and think) not. Go slow and steady - start exercising a bit, keep your calorie count accurate on MFP, and don't make HUGE changes - it works. With that little amount of weight to lose, you risk losing more muscle along with fat if you go over 1lb/week (and preferably 0.5lb)

I think its fine....
  • djwhinery
    djwhinery Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    AndreaLynn
    I just started this diet this week. I feel really good so far. I'm eating about 600-1000 calories per day. I have the most trouble with stress and responding with snacking so I'm trying to drink LOTS of water, tea with no sweetener (which I love) but I've found it makes me crave sweet foods. I had an applesauce today and found it entirely too sweet for my taste buds. The hard part for me is staying away from carbs. My husband actually had a frozen pizza tonight and it about killed me! I finally had to have a piece and ate the toppings and threw away the bread. He and I will have to talk about that temptation later... haha!

I know everyone is saying the holidays are tough but it can be ok if you keep the right appetizers around (fruit, vegys, low-fat pop corn) and drink plenty of water. Personally I'm going to eat on a small plate this year and go easy on the Yum Yum Salad (cool whip, sweetened condensed milk, can of cherries and can of pineapple = YUM!!!) If you think about it, having turkey about the size of your palm, cook a baked potato instead of having mashed, go easy on the stuffing and fill up on a green salad with vegys, YOU CAN EAT HEALTHY!!!

Good luck everyone!:happy: