Thanksgiving Prep

Hi Everyone!

I hope all is well!

I don't know about all of you, but I have been somewhat dreading Thanksgiving. I am JUST starting to get a handle on how to best control my eating and stabilizing out what works in my diet.

Anyway, I was surfing through the Huffington Post Healthy Living section and found this article -- it talks all about portion sizes and absolutely blew my mind.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/22/thanksgiving-serving-size_n_1106452.html?ref=healthy-living#s490237&title=Salad

One serving of turkey is about the size of a deck of cards.

One serving of gravy is equal to about the volume of a golf ball.

One serving of pie is equal in size to about the volume of a light bulb.

I don't know about all of you, but I know in the past couple of years I've at least tripled my in take of all of these and more. It goes to show you that portion sizes are everything.

I hope this is as helpful to all of you as it was to me!

Cheers :)

Replies

• bilzprincess
    bilzprincess Posts: 107 Member
    i'm a vegan, and while people would think "u must be easily thin", it's all about the portion sizes, no matter what. so many delicious things; such big spoonfuls! join my family's "tiny plate club" this thanksgiving. i set the table as per usual, but my mother, daughter, niece, nephew (tiny kids), and i all get the sandwich-sized plate that goes with the set. it started out as a way to make my mom to feel more comfortable after her bariatric surgery, and has become a habit at the thanksgiving and christmas meals. surprisingly not awful to do. when u have seconds, they're truly seconds, and not fifths (portion-wise).:wink:
  • amycarol59
    amycarol59 Posts: 111 Member
    I was reading an article the other day that said that the calorie count for a Thanksgiving dinner is 3000 calories. Just the the one dinner. I am setting my self up to succeed for the second year in a row. I go to someone's house for Thanksgiving and have no control over the main and most side dishes but I add healthy item to the table and those are the ones I eat. No one really notices that I pass on all the high fat high calorie items and I am happy with feeling full not over stuffed and miserable. I also add up my calories before ever stepping foot near the food table so I know what i can afford to put on my plate. I had a great Thanksgiving with no guilt last year and plan for a guilt free Thanksgiving again this go around. Happy Thanksgiving to you all!
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Excellent topic! I too have joined in the small plate/small portions group, and am so surprised at how full I really get by eating that salad size plate of food, and don't need any more. You can always go back for a few more veggies if you still feel hungry, but if we all pay attention to it, we really never need to. And, you'll be the one feeling really good and energized after dinner, ready to step out for a walk rather than finding the nearest sofa to collapse on. Wishing you all the best through the holidays!! :bigsmile:
  • foxtayle
    foxtayle Posts: 17 Member
    I love the idea of the "Small Plate Club!" Last year I watched my portions and got so much commentary from my family last year. But this year we'll be spending Thanksgiving with my SigOth's family, and I don't think I'll get as much heat about it.

Does anyone else have any tips or tricks for surviving Thanksgiving dinner?
  • Thanks for your feedback everyone!

I've never heard of a Small Plate Club before -- it's such a wonderful idea!

Is that something that is normally organized through Myfitnesspal, or is it just something that a group of friends would decide to do?
  • titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Bring on the turkey:

W9355_web.jpg_0206.fpx?&wid=300&cvt=jpeg
  • Haha! If only it was that easy!

I have to say, my friends and family have not been receptive to my discussions about portion sizes -- it seems like everyone wants to turn a blind eye to the binge eating. It's sooooooooooooooo hard being healthy! It's like everyone wants to bring you down with them.

Hopefully I can find / start a small plate club soon!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Hopefully we can all find a pack of those guilt free jumbo cards!