healthy light dinners

Options
slay0r
slay0r Posts: 669 Member
Hey there,

looking for some healthy dinner recipes, I get in about 6.30 and would like to eat quite quickly so I'm not eating later on before bed. I'm trying to fill myself up but I feel bloated after my dinner usually, would like something healthy and filling but not that will stuff me up, any ideas?!

Do LOTS of exercise so need to replenish!

Not a fish fan, don't like sweetcorn or mushrooms or beans (Random I know..)

Big meat fan!

Replies

• nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    do you have a crockpot? if not, I would invest in one!!!
    they are easy to use and you could put it on when you leave for work and it would done by the time you got home. get one that has a timer so you can set it to go off when it is done.

you can make chilli, soup, stew, baked chicken, plus all kind of different things in there. I love to make roasts in mine...
  • margurithrt
    Options
    Try getting fish and chicken more often. Beef in general is much higher calorie wise. My friend uses a small electric grill to do her chicken and then heats up a bag of frozen veggies. She's full and I think it come in under 300 calories.
  • gettingstronger
    Options
    One word. Soups! Canned or homemade. Most recipes can be frozen in individual serving to be microwaved later for a quick meal.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Quesadilla with grilled chicken (or you could buy a rotisserie chicken from grocery store, canned chicken), bell peppers. Eat with salsa.

Pasta w/ chicken and jarred sauce. Monte Bene is very low in calories with no added sugar. Toss some fresh basil on, grate a little Parmesan on top.

Stir fry veggies in a little sesame oil. Toss in chicken and serve over rice. Cook the rice the day before so it is ready to go quickly when you need it.
  • beccalucy
    beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Agree on the soups! Also could you make meals at weekends and freeze them in individual portions for during the week so you only have to reheat them?
  • slay0r
    Options
    Need something a bit more than soup, do a LOT of exercise so need lots of protein, should have mentioned sorry, will edit now.
  • carolina_r
    carolina_r Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my slow cooker...It works great to make soups, stews, roasts, chili...whatever! Great for when you get home late and just want a hot meal fast.

Follow the link below to a thread someone started for slow cooker recipes - hope this helps!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/372359-bring-your-crockpot-slow-cooker-recipes
  • kazza135
    kazza135 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    my favourite dinner at the moment is whole meal spaghetti -add it to wok of large fry pan with non stick coating and cook strips of chicken, onion, spinach, and any other veg who wish - spag portion 245 cals slow release carb keep you full all night, chicken protein and veg 2/3 of your five a day - will only take as long as the spaghetti takes to cook or plan ahead and cook a large pan of wholemeal spaghetti one night and measure portions and put in freezer bags and then take out and add to meat and veg comes under 300 cals and is super healthy
  • sing4me4you
    sing4me4you Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Here is one you can adapt to any amount. This takes about 1/2 hour or 40 minutes to cook.
    Lemon Pepper Chicken Thighs

boneless skinless chicken thighs
    Lemon (whole)
    Lemon Pepper seasoning

Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with lemon pepper seasoning, put in a non stick pan and brown on the first side, squeeze 1/2 lemon on one side and turn over and brown. Squeeze the other half a lemon on the other side, cover and cook until the chicken is done - about 20-30 minutes depending on the size of the chicken thighs. Serve with brown rice, noodles and vegetables.
  • slay0r
    Options
    Definitely want one of these slow cookers, they seem to be all the rage now and everyone at work keeps on bringing in some awesome looking leftovers!

That lemon pepper chicken sounds amazing, anyone got anything else like this?!

The Spaghetti I will try later on you're right about the slow release, maybe that's what I need to try.
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    In my crockpot right now:

Country style ribs (i put in frozen)
    1 Can Crushed tomato (28oz)
    6 cloves of garlic (skin peeled, rough chopped, sauted for 1 min in olive oil)

Ribs will fall right off of the bone and it will be super yummy served over whole wheat pasta!

Easy and CHEAP! (appx $7.00 will make 6 servings; less than a buck a serving!!)

Not sure of the calorie content, maybe appx. 350 - 400 per serving
  • kerramarie
    kerramarie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • andriaz
    Options
    If you have a iron skillet, you can use this technique on a billion different flavors and not feel like you're eating the same thing all the time.

Preheat oven to 350.

Drizzle a little EVOO in the bottom of the skillet and heat until a drop of water sizzles before putting the chicken in.

Take a chicken breast and season with salt, peper, and garlic powder (I prefer bone-in skin-on, but this costs more calories. I don't eat the skin, just cook with it on to moisten the meat)

Sear the outside of both sides (Just a quck brown). Pour 1/2 a cup of fat free italian over the top of the chicken (careful this will pop) and put the whole thing (Iron skillet and all) into the oven. Cook until finished.

The meat turns out moist and delicious. Any low fat dressing works. Another favorite is Kraft's low fat Asian Sesame. Delicious. If you don't want to use dressing, dry seasoning with a little grease and vinegar works well too.
  • translinda
    translinda Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    bump