Pre-Breakfast?

Options
Uhm...should I be eating before I work out, or afterwards.

My recruiter says before, but other people say eat after. My body feels better throughout the workout though when I eat before. I feel like I can conquer the world during my workouts. Whenever I don't eat..its boring, and it dull.

Someone told me that I should be eating afterwards so I can burn the stored fat, and not what i just ate. BUMMER.

What do you guys do? Suggestion?

Replies

• mvandommelen
    Options
    I sometimes eat a granola bar or apple, something light before I work out depending on what my body is saying it needs. Listen to your body, if you feel better eating before, than eat before to get the most out of your workout.
  • Felbsies
    Felbsies Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If I eat a big breakfast before I work out, I feel sick after. That's my 2 cents. But am interested to see what other people have to say.
  • sixpacking
    sixpacking Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    protein shake before workout
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    EAT BEFORE!!!!

No, you don't have to eat a huge plateful of food. But, how is the car going to run without gas in the tank? You need to fuel your body so you have the energy to perform your workout. (you'll burn more calories if you have the energy... don't believe anyone that says you'll "just burn fat" if you don't eat... it's nonsense.) You've already said you feel better when you eat, so continue!

:)
  • snhamilton
    snhamilton Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Definitely before if that's what your body tells you. If you feel better, you get a better workout, and I doubt your body is lying. :)
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    uhhh, you just answered your own question.
  • Miss_ladyp
    Options
    I had a nutritionist tell me to eat before I work out in the mornings.
  • jovz10
    jovz10 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    depends what kind of exercise you doing.... before my walk, i normally just eat light: cereal, milk, yogurt, wheat toast, oatmeal, etc. then wait 30 mins then go for my long walk.... then i get something heavy when i get back... another toast, egg, vegetable and fruit.... but when i do my intense workout, i go to heavier meal then wait an hour to start working out or else to me no point because i won't have any energy....

so, i would say experiment.... everyone is not the same.... you gotta make your own changes to fit what you doing.... good luck!

11362602.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    if i don't eat before and i do a tough workout, i get sick. i don't eat a lot beforehand, maybe a piece of cheese or a few nuts. just something small so i don't feel like i'm going to die.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't like to workout if I'm hungry. All I can focus on is being hungry and it makes me feel like I have no energy, so I end up quitting earlier. I like to eat something small about an hour before I work out, maybe 200-300 calories, and then I can almost double my exercise time.

Last week, I went to the gym before dinner once and it was all I had in me to get in 45 minutes on the elliptical, whereas on a normal day I can easily do an hour or more! I say find what works best for you personally!
  • LaBelle89
    Options
    EAT BEFORE!!!!

No, you don't have to eat a huge plateful of food. But, how is the car going to run without gas in the tank? You need to fuel your body so you have the energy to perform your workout. (you'll burn more calories if you have the energy... don't believe anyone that says you'll "just burn fat" if you don't eat... it's nonsense.) You've already said you feel better when you eat, so continue!

:)

I agree. Thanks
  • LaBelle89
    Options
    To anyone that said if I answered my own question...I was just making sure it was normal, or healthy. I wanted to be losing weight right. I like eating before cause I have alot of energy. If I don't I be bored lol.
  • LaBelle89
    Options
    protein shake before workout

I don't know much about protein shakes...whaat are the benefits besidess...protein? I hate milk!
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on you like you said and how you feel, everyone is different, personally I get up and hit the floor and I get my exercise in usually its just a 30-40 minute DVD workout and Im fine and ready to eat afterwards, but I think this is one of those things that is different for everyone If I was doing a more intese longer workout Id probably eat first