Losing weight but not inches -- losing muscle?

Options
Hi MFPers!

In the last 2 weeks I've dropped 3 more pounds, but my measurements and body fat percentage have stayed the same. I get the feeling I'm burning muscle.

I run 5 days a week and strength train with a personal trainer once a week. Most weeks I also strength train one more day a week. I eat a diet low in carbs and high in veggies and lean protein. I don't eat a ton of beef.

Anyone have any tips on how to help build more lean muscle so I can burn more fat?

Replies

• LaBelle89
    Options
    BUMP* i LOVE THiS QUESTiON.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would suggest with the amount you have to lose to set your weekly weight loss goal to 0.5lbs/week, and eat back the cals you burn from exercise. If your deficit is too large and you don't have much to lose you risk burning a large % of lean muscle.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    A. you might not be losing just muscle. You might just be losing in places you don't measure.

B. Try to lift 2-3 times a week, as heavy as possible.

C. Make sure you eat enough protein. Should be a gram of protein for every pound of lean body mass.

Muscle loss is pretty much inevitable when losing weight. However doing B and C will help preserve as much muscle as possible.
  • lys617
    lys617 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer advised me to strength train 2-3 times per week with max two days recovery in between (this is only if you are doing full body workouts). She said after the two days you start to lose what you gained, so you have to keep in up.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    2 weeks is not enough time to much change, give it 2 months
  • cediyam
    cediyam Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    It could also be water weight, excess fluids etc.
  • davesgal1
    Options
    How often are you measuring? It should be no more than once a month. Measurements can be tricky. You could be measuring in a slightly different place, holding the tape a little looser or tighter, etc. Give yourself at least a month before taking your next measurements because it sounds like you're doing everything right. You might want to do a minimum of 2-3 days weights.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I glanced at the last few days of your diary. You are regularly way under your goal and you are definitely not getting enough protein. Try *hitting* your calorie goal and also hitting your protein macro.

When you don't feed your body enough it will burn muscle to preserve its fat stores. You need to eat well so that your body trusts that you won't continue undernourishing it.

:flowerforyou:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any tips on how to help build more lean muscle so I can burn more fat?

Less cardio, more lifting, more protein and a caloric surplus
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, great tips!
    How often are you measuring? It should be no more than once a month. Measurements can be tricky. You could be measuring in a slightly different place, holding the tape a little looser or tighter, etc. Give yourself at least a month before taking your next measurements because it sounds like you're doing everything right. You might want to do a minimum of 2-3 days weights.

I'm measuring every three or four weeks. I'm not doing the measuring myself, I have my trainer do it because she's trained and knows where to measure every time, and is less likely to mess it up than I am. My last measurements were taken Nov 1. Normally I'd wait until Dec 1 to measure but I'm doing a Thanksgiving challenge and needed my measurements (PS I met 2 of my three goals!).

@MrsCon40, I'm not usually that far under. I've been doubling up running workouts the last couple weeks in preparation for my first 5k on Thursday. I have a bet with a coworker on who will have the better time, and the loser buys Friday lunches for a year. I'm not losing that bet. :) I expect that my earned exercise calories, and therefore my calorie deficit, to come WAY down starting Friday.

Based on the advice I'm reading here, I'm sure replacing some of those daily runs with lifting will help built more muscle too. I'll keep working hard and hold off measuring and body fat analysis for another 4 weeks. Thanks!!