Is it really THAT important to avoid sugar?

Options
I'm having a hard time with my sugar intake. MFP puts me at 29g of sugar per day (sans exercise). Once I have a banana and and apple, I've about maxed out.

I understand eating sugary foods like cakes and pies and chocolates are not healthy. What about sugars that come from fruits? If most of my sugar is coming from fruits, is it okay to go over my MFP limit?

One reason I'm asking is because I'm thinking of switching protein bars to Cliff builder bars. My current protein bars have 0 sugar (and no artifical sweeteners either) but Cliff bars have 20g's of sugar.

P.S. I'm definitely not perfect at this whole eating healthy thing, so you will definitely see foods on my diary that have sugar NOT from fruits. I really try to not eat the unhealty sugars often. Fruits on the other hand are pretty much always on my log :)

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    No don't worry about it. Focus more on overall calories and macros.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I find if you're aware of how much is in what you're eating, it's not too bad.

Adding things like flavored shots to coffee, or having some sweet dessert are usually trouble, cause you're unaware of the calorie content in stuff like that. It's pretty much adding 100-200 or more calories per dish. Then that can lead to no weight loss, or even weight gain if you do it daily.

Generally, higher sugar foods are higher calorie. Again, if you're aware, its less of a problem.

If weight-loss is your goal, I'd be more concerned with your caloric intake for the day, and less concerned with sugar.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    this is asked a few times/day check out the responses to this one from earlier today:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/403341-how-do-i-cut-out-the-sugar
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar. However, most people will tell you that unless you have some kind of a medical condition - MFP's recommendations are very low for sugar (as you've learned.. lol). Sugar from fruit is natural and therefore different from the processed sugars of cookies, candy, ice cream, cake, etc.

For me, I don't have to watch my sugar. All I really have to focus on in calories in/calories out.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I also don't track it and pay attention.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Not unless you're diabetic
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I think you are probably doing just fine. People will say that the sugar from fruit does the same thing in your body as refined sugar, but fruit has other benefits. The Clif bars also probably have other ingredients that are beneficial, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I don't track it and don't care about it.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on what your "trigger" is. Once you start eating healthy you will figure that out. But I can definitely say the sugars in natural fruit are better than all the others! Good luck to you!
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I think sugar falls under carbs.... I just try to make sure I hit my body weight in protien, then let the carbs fill the rest. The only one I really try to limit is fat. Carbs (sugar) will be burnt as part of my workout.
  • ckidd311
    ckidd311 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    this is asked a few times/day check out the responses to this one from earlier today:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/403341-how-do-i-cut-out-the-sugar

Thank you for this link! Lots of great information there too!!!
  • ckidd311
    ckidd311 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies so far!

I'm not going for weight loss. At this point I'm trying to tone up and get rid of some body fat! :happy:
  • sarahkbarnes
    Options
    I don't track it and don't care about it.

Same here! I eat a LOT of fruit :)
  • AmandaR321
    AmandaR321 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about sugar unless it's coming from things like cake/candy/sweets. Realistically I like fruit and yogurt, etc too much to cut sugar down as far as MFP suggests, so I just work on the type of food I'm eating.
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time with my sugar intake. MFP puts me at 29g of sugar per day (sans exercise). Once I have a banana and and apple, I've about maxed out.

I understand eating sugary foods like cakes and pies and chocolates are not healthy. What about sugars that come from fruits? If most of my sugar is coming from fruits, is it okay to go over my MFP limit?

One reason I'm asking is because I'm thinking of switching protein bars to Cliff builder bars. My current protein bars have 0 sugar (and no artifical sweeteners either) but Cliff bars have 20g's of sugar.

P.S. I'm definitely not perfect at this whole eating healthy thing, so you will definitely see foods on my diary that have sugar NOT from fruits. I really try to not eat the unhealty sugars often. Fruits on the other hand are pretty much always on my log :)

MFP had my sugar set at 35, I changed that to 70 because most all my sugar is from natural fruits.....
  • CharMarieDavis
    Options
    After meeting with my doctor about a month ago, she actually said to try and avoid most fruits. She said to avoid bananas and yogurt because they are way too high in sugar. She said fruit is a great snack and is most beneficial to your body if you have berries and apples. (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries) She said to try and replace fruit with something more beneficial to the body such as veggies or certain types of nuts and limit fruit intake because of the sugar. (this advice was given to me to lose weight because of high blood pressure and may not apply to someone who does not need to lose weight?):happy: